• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking eggs

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a Moroccan breakfast recipe for eggs, that I actually make often for myself and my kids. Bit more effort than just frying or poaching, but seriosuly delicious.

3 medium sized tomatoes
1-2 eggs (your choice)
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp coriander (if usings fresh then chop really fine)
1 clove garlic (ground)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
drop or two of oil
salt to taste

Dice the tomatoes and add to oil in a frying pan on high heat, use a fork or something to mash the tomatoes down as you are cooking them, add all the seasoning herbs and garlic, stir in, gently crack 1-2 eggs over it all so that they are resting above the tomatoe mixture, turn down heat to medium, put a lid on and leave to cook until the egg reaches a consistancy you are happy with. (this is basically like poaching an egg, only with the juices of a tomatoe and flavour.

Serve with crusty bread, using the bread to dip into the sauce........seriously delicious.

You can also turn it into a main meal, by just increasing the ingrediants, adding prawns prior to the eggs for 5 minutes, and then the egg. Serve with chips (british chips), or saute potatoes.

:)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I have a Moroccan breakfast recipe for eggs, that I actually make often for myself and my kids. Bit more effort than just frying or poaching, but seriosuly delicious.

3 medium sized tomatoes
1-2 eggs (your choice)
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp coriander (if usings fresh then chop really fine)
1 clove garlic (ground)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
drop or two of oil
salt to taste

Dice the tomatoes and add to oil in a frying pan on high heat, use a fork or something to mash the tomatoes down as you are cooking them, add all the seasoning herbs and garlic, stir in, gently crack 1-2 eggs over it all so that they are resting above the tomatoe mixture, turn down heat to medium, put a lid on and leave to cook until the egg reaches a consistancy you are happy with. (this is basically like poaching an egg, only with the juices of a tomatoe and flavour.

Serve with crusty bread, using the bread to dip into the sauce........seriously delicious.

You can also turn it into a main meal, by just increasing the ingrediants, adding prawns prior to the eggs for 5 minutes, and then the egg. Serve with chips (british chips), or saute potatoes.

:)

Yummmm!

-Geoff

O

Oberon

My favorite way to prepare eggs is as an adjunct to sausage gravy.

Having fried a couple of handfuls of loose sausage in a frying pan, proceed to make the gravy by preparing a roux amongst the meat...dump in a cup or so of flour and lightly brown it in the sausage grease, thoroughly blending the flour and grease in the process. Then add water, onion powder or dried onion, and black pepper to taste. The quantity of water depends on how thick you like your gravy. You can use fresh onion if you like, but if so you should brown it with the sausage rather than adding it later.

When your gravy is ready, turn the heat down to simmer, crack three eggs directly into the gravy (they'll float and hang together), and put the lid on. Allow the eggs to steam in the simmering gravy for five to ten minutes. When the whites of the eggs are firm through, they're done.

Serve eggs and gravy ladled generously over fresh biscuits, with additional salt and pepper at table if need be.

O

Oberon

I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting. I never have, but I'm certain I could.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Deviled eggs = the shiz!

My mother-in-law makes them with curry. I haven't decided yet if I like them that way. It's not what I'm used to, but I'm open to change.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting. I never have, but I'm certain I could.

Do you mean a dozen halves, six whole eggs, or a dozen eggs, 24 halves?

I've eaten a dozen halves before. When I was pregnant with my second child I had high blood pressure at the end. My midwife "prescribed" me six eggs a day and all the watermelon I could stomach. It worked. I'm not sure what's in eggs that lowers blood pressure (short term-- I'm pretty sure long term it's not good to eat six eggs a day, but it was only going to be a couple of weeks for me).

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
The only trick with eggs I know is to add to the beaten eggs before you scramble them: some 1/2 & 1/2, various bits of cheese, and a dash of cumin. Also I find that heat is a key element to successful eggs...low side of Medium makes the best, though it takes longer.

Let me also add that I have never successfully flipped an omelette. :(

MBTI Type
INTJ

I could literally eat eggs until my stomach explodes. I love them. As much as I like deviled eggs though, I prefer egg salad. It's the same thing basically, only more finely mixed.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
In a frying pan, with a little olive oil, fry some chopped onions and crushed garlic. Add as much chilli as you like. When the onions are soft, add a can of chopped tomatoes, and one of kidney beans. When it's all heated through, pout the mixture into oven proof dishes, crack an egg or two in the middle of each one, add a drop of olive oil on top of the egg and bake at about 200C for ten minutes. Eat with bread rolls.

Park

MBTI Type
INTP
Cooking eggs volume 2
I read about baluts not that long ago and showed a pic to my husband. It repelled him so much that he seriously gets annoyed at me for just saying the word "balut" which offcourse means I say over and over again (especially when we eat).

Balut:
From wiki - Balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served with beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut(balot) roughly translates to mean "wrapped".

O

Oberon

Here's another favorite way in which I cook eggs. It's a frittata.

frittata3-742113.jpg

Think of it as a really chunky quiche without the crust.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That looks yummy!

My mother-in-law makes a thing like that called a German Apple Pancake, which I suspect is neither German nor a pancake but actually does contain apples. Mostly eggs with a bit of flour and milk and apples, baked in a skillet and then topped with apple compote.

O

Oberon

The frittata starts in a cast-iron frying pan. Start by frying bacon, ham, or sausage, then add potatoes, onions, and (somewhat later) mushrooms. When the vegetables are cooked, pour raw scrambled eggs over the mixture, top with shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes, and pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs show a touch of brown around the edges.

It's fantastic.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The frittata starts in a cast-iron frying pan. Start by frying bacon, ham, or sausage, then add potatoes, onions, and (somewhat later) mushrooms. When the vegetables are cooked, pour raw scrambled eggs over the mixture, top with shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes, and pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs show a touch of brown around the edges.

It's fantastic.

That sounds awesome. I may make it tonight!

I found the German Apple Pancake recipe:

German Apple Pancake

INGREDIENTS

Pancake:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup thin-sliced apples

Filling: 1 lb. tart, fresh apples (pippin are great)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
powdered cinnamon and nutmeg

Topping:
2 tbs. melted butter
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Beat together the eggs, milk, flour, and salt until very smooth. Add some very thinly sliced apples if desired. In a heavy 12 inch skillet, melt about 1 1/2 tbs butter. As soon as it is quite hot, pour in the batter and put the skillet in the oven. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 10 minutes. The pancake should be light brown and crisp.

During the first 10 or 15 minutes of baking, the pancake may puff up in large bubbles. If it does, pierce it thoroughly with a fork or skewer.

While the pancake is baking prepare the apple filling. Peel and thinly slice a pound of apples. Saute them lightly in 1/4 butter and add 1/4 cup sugar. Season to taste with cinnamon and nutmeg. The apples should be just tender, not to soft. About 8 to ten minutes of cooking over a medium flame should be plenty.

(The filling can be prepared ahead and reheated just before serving)

When the pancake is ready, slide it onto an oval platter, pour the apple filing over one side, and fold the other side over. A little melted butter can be poured on if you choose and the whole thing carefully sprinkled with powdered sugar through a sieve. Serve it at once, slicing pieces off crosswise.

(From Vegetarian Epicure)