• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking eggs

OK Radio

MBTI Type
intj
I love eggs.

This morning, I decided to learn to poach eggs. It turned out pretty well. I didn't do the vinegar in the water trick or the "mini-vortex" trick, so the white dissipated some. Next time, I will also use a soup ladle to lower the eggs in the water instead of a cup or spice dish.

Anyone else got good ways to cook eggs?

What's the mini-vortex trick?

I definitely add vinegar to the water ever since I read about it in Southern Living, but I'm entirely lazy in the morning and want to cook eggs as easily as possible. Basically, I just pour in some vinegar without measuring, don't let the water rapidly boil, and try to time the eggs given the time it takes for my toaster to produce the best slice of toast it can. Unfortunately, my timing method doesn't automatically work with other toasters and their idiosyncrasies. Can anyone confirm that the egg into a cup and then scooped into the water is inherently better? That's a whole cup I'd have to wash, plus it adds entire seconds onto the egg entering the water time.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just looked it up- not a well-publicized trick but I'm going to try it. Swirl the water around so it's spinning when you drop the egg in. Supposedly helps the egg keep its shape while cooking.

Also, hi! :)

OK Radio

MBTI Type
intj
I have no idea why I didn't look it up myself. Thanks for the information.

And, hi, too. :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just had Eggs Benedict for the first time a week or two ago. Yum!

I like eggs almost any way, as long as they are fully cooked. No runny eggs for me.

Eggs Benedict is amazing. Man, I miss my dad's Eggs B. Sounds so good right now.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Regarding the egg poaching discussion on, like, page 1 or something (edit: or more like a few posts ago), this is a must-read:

B3TA : FEATURES : HOW TO POACH AN EGG

Dude tries out several different methods of egg-poaching and posts the results. In short, plastic wrap is your friend. The vortex method gave egg soup.

A word of precaution. If you're at work, it would be unwise to look at much else on that site.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
Regarding the egg poaching discussion on, like, page 1 or something (edit: or more like a few posts ago), this is a must-read:

B3TA : FEATURES : HOW TO POACH AN EGG

Dude tries out several different methods of egg-poaching and posts the results. In short, plastic wrap is your friend. The vortex method gave egg soup.

Good Lawd!!! Haha...
That guy really didn't give the alternatives a fair shake, did he?. Those were some of the worst poached egg preparations I've seen. Blatant plastic wrap usage biasing.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I could go for some fried eggs right now, with a side of potatoes and onions (or corned beef hash, if you're lazy). Some toast would be nice, too, to soak in the eggy stuff.

Man, if Finch's were open, I'd totally be there.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Good Lawd!!! Haha...
That guy really didn't give the alternatives a fair shake, did he?. Those were some of the worst poached egg preparations I've seen. Blatant plastic wrap usage biasing.

I don't know, the "drop the pot" method seemed to work just fine. However, I do like the idea of not having to clean up after cooking. Thank you petroleum products industry.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know, the "drop the pot" method seemed to work just fine. However, I do like the idea of not having to clean up after cooking. Thank you petroleum products industry.

Yeah, that one's probably okay. It's that vortex sewage sample he made that threw me. Needs a much deeper vessel for vortexing.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
It's that vortex sewage sample he made that threw me. Needs a much deeper vessel for vortexing.

Oh, is that why the egg turned out looking like seagull poop?

And can't you just crack an egg into a mug, and microwave it?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Number one, I wouldn't put plastic wrap in boiling water and eat what was in it, anyway. Number two, that one looked gross to me. I don't like runny eggs.

I think I'll stick to letting the Elmo's chef poach my eggs for me.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, is that why the egg turned out looking like seagull poop?

Yeah. The egg probably hit the ground and stopped spinning before it could solidify to any degree.

And can't you just crack an egg into a mug, and microwave it?

You could, but there'd be no temperature control. Large water baths control heat steadily. There's a six degree F differential or so between the point at which whites solidify and yolks solidify. I suppose management at that temperature (threshold starts just above 145 F) would deliver the most predictable and repeatable result. I haven't tried turning the microwave over onto its back and filling it with water yet.

mooky

My Ex loved poached eggs, and I became quite good at doing them.

For me the second egg used to turn out better, with the first egg being mainly a yoke, with the white all frothy on the top of the water.
Then one day I realized why...............when I put the first egg in (vortex and vinegar or salt), or not, the water was always boiling. That first egg lowered the temperature of the water to just off boiling so the second egg stayed together in a nice little ball.
So now when ever I do poached eggs I put them in JUST BEFORE the water comes to the boil, so the bubbling doesn’t dissipate the egg white before it gets a chance to set. That way I find they stay in a nice ball shape.

When I was a kid, my Mum did them in the microwave, they where always rubbery......Yuk.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
Never had this and don't even know what it is. I bet I'd like it though.

Eggs Benedict is typically constructed with an English muffin half, Canadian bacon, a poached egg, and Hollandaise sauce. Damn, I never realized how many of the ingredients have a nationality attached to them.

Eggs Sardou is a variation of Benedict, built with an artichoke base, creamed spinach, a poached egg, and Hollandaise.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think there's also Eggs Florentine, which is just like Benedict but with spinach instead of Canadian bacon.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Inspired by this thread, I made my first poached egg today! I tried to use the egg shell half as a "cup" before dropping it into the pot, but I forgot to consider that half an eggshell is much too small to carry that much egg. :laugh: So my results were about the same as just cracking it into the water. I was pretty pleased with the results. Some whites separated, but enough of it stayed to be quite delicious on my ramen! I will be making poached eggs a lot more now. I think next time I will try lowering the egg into the pot with a giant ladle.

Unfortunately my attempts at Hollandaise sauce have been less successful. :(