• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff's Pictures : Hummingbird in flight

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Took this one by the lake the other day, very high shutter speed (thus the grain and rather interesting wing blur as he moves at an incredible speed across the frame).

Hummingbirds are fun (wish we had them on this side of the pond too!)

I am not sure if this one works... (I'm more of a landscape person, but I'm trying new stuff).

Comments, criticisms, encouragements and requests to desist always welcome!

537042754_4ca77c41d4_b.jpg

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I love photographing birds. These guys are not easy to capture, especially in flight, well done.

Are you using digital or SLR? I find the best shots of these guys are during full sunight hours - unforunately the ones around here like to come to our feeders in the evening. The more sun, the higher you can go with shutter speed while keeping the ISO low.

I only have a few good hummingbird shots; but then again we just moved here and we didn't have them in the city. You've lit a fire here, I am going to do some hummingbird stalking today :D

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
OOOH! Look at the wee widdle toesies!! So cute!!!

Good job! A friend and I have an ongoing discussion about whether our cameras are fast enough to still a hummer wing.

I've tried hand-feeding hummers, but I get spooked when those beaks get within a foot or two of my face. The hum gets so loud and the beak looks enormous so close.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
rivercrow, I know what you mean - the length of that beak on that tiny little animal is impressive. They're little marvels. A male came up to my kitchen window while I was filling one of the feeders; they like it when the fresh, cold nectar is put out. He had a look of impatience about him.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
OOOH! Look at the wee widdle toesies!! So cute!!!

Good job! A friend and I have an ongoing discussion about whether our cameras are fast enough to still a hummer wing.

I've tried hand-feeding hummers, but I get spooked when those beaks get within a foot or two of my face. The hum gets so loud and the beak looks enormous so close.

This is 1/1250 of the second (thus the wide open aperture and a higher ISO) and I captured him going at full speed from left to right away from a feeder. His wings still moved a fair amount in that time. Perhaps try 1/4000 or so? My camera doesnt go any faster than that!

-Geoff

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ

1/1600, f/3.5 - unfortunately the ISO had to be 200 so it's a little grainer than I'd like.

attachment.php