• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mountain Hiking - Who Else?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I just meant meeting people during travelling. Usually I stay in tent or mountain huts.

You are more hardcore than me then :D I like winter mountains, snow makes everything look magical, but hiking is much harder in winter so I rarely go then. Usually I travel during summer/autumn. I like autumn colours and to lie in the grass in the middle of nowhere.

Autumn is my favorite time! :)

Winter isn't too extreme in the mountains I hike in. There's very little danger of an avalanche, although I've seen places along the trail where small ones happened. They're so small that it almost looks like it might be fun rather than dangerous. :laugh: I backpacked in night temps down to about 0F (-17.8 C), and did some backyard sleeping bag testing during a rare period of extreme cold here at -15F (-25C). The wind chill factor was very close to -40 (F=C). I was dumb and got a very slight frostbite on my toes because I didn't bother with proper footwear because I was just going out in the backyard. :doh:

I'd like to get a tent with a woodstove for winter! :happy2: That looks like the way to do it. :)

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've done a bit of hiking and mountain climbing. I enjoy it, but unfortunately I've got quite the phobia of heights. So while I'm enjoying the splendor of nature I also want to throw myself off a cliff just so I'll be at the bottom.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Autumn is my favorite time! :)

Winter isn't too extreme in the mountains I hike in. There's very little danger of an avalanche, although I've seen places along the trail where small ones happened. They're so small that it almost looks like it might be fun rather than dangerous. :laugh: I backpacked in night temps down to about 0F (-17.8 C), and did some backyard sleeping bag testing during a rare period of extreme cold here at -15F (-25C). The wind chill factor was very close to -40 (F=C). I was dumb and got a very slight frostbite on my toes because I didn't bother with proper footwear because I was just going out in the backyard. :doh:

I'd like to get a tent with a woodstove for winter! :happy2: That looks like the way to do it. :)

Haha that’s quite a story... My friend slept for week on the balcony to test new sleeping bag, but it was warm(well relatively warm) then, middle of spring. Still funny because she lives in a flat- such an eccentric neighbour :laugh:

I don’t have equipment good enough to stay in tent during winter. It’s cold in spring in my sleeping bag.
Speaking of which… tent with a woodstove? It’s a real thing? Because it sounds awesome, I will google it.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Haha that’s quite a story... My friend slept for week on the balcony to test new sleeping bag, but it was warm(well relatively warm) then, middle of spring. Still funny because she lives in a flat- such an eccentric neighbour :laugh:

I don’t have equipment good enough to stay in tent during winter. It’s cold in spring in my sleeping bag.
Speaking of which… tent with a woodstove? It’s a real thing? Because it sounds awesome, I will google it.

That's funny about your neighbor testing her new sleeping bag for a week! :laugh:

Here is one (way too long) video of someone using one of the lighter stoves and tents:

There are also canvas tents with larger stoves, but those are very heavy and mostly only used by people on flat land and pulling their gear on a sled.