• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Space Saving Solutions

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My house is fairly small (1090 sq. ft.). We plan to move soonish but probably not this year, so we struggle to figure out ways to live in our small space. One thing that is eluding us right now is a dining table- there's no room for it in the kitchen (we also have to have a crate for a large dog) and we don't have a dining room, so right now we just don't have one. But I miss eating together at an actual table. I tried to solve this one once before by purchasing a dog crate that goes under a nice table, but it doesn't really work since you can't put your legs under it.

My latest idea is to use a low coffee table and big pillows for seats. I actually really like this idea, but to be honest, I prefer the LR without a coffee table since it makes it seem bigger. So I would want the low table to be able to be put away when not in use, and I'm having trouble finding something that meets that criteria.

Would love to hear ideas for space-saving solutions for this and any other aspect of apartment or small-home living! What are your space issues? Let's solve them together.

gromit

likes this
Mauybe a folding table. there are ones that fold into the wall and also ones that fold up and can be stowed somewhere, like a card table.

If you post photos (or a floorplan/sketch) it might be easier to come up with more specific ideas.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think the table thing is a real obstacle.. and tables are so useful for other things too!

You could create a situation where you have a round table top that goes over the crate--providing some leg room with the round edges pushing farther away from the crate than the normal rectangles at the cost of the table having to be a bit bigger. But, if I were you I'd make an outdoor eating space. A good big table to sit outside at sometimes would be cool, particularly if your family is already used to not eating at the table. I think your sit-down-floor-level table would be a fantastic idea for really rainy days, or cold days. You could find a cheaper coffee table with the twist-on-legs, and the whole thing could break down and stow away when not needed underneath a couch.

I've also seen several murphy-bed-style drop-down tables in my day and those seem to work fine if the table needs to disappear right after eating.. I particularly liked one someone made out of a modified kitchen island, and the island became work space again afterwards.

But if you're going to have a dog crate taking up space either way, at least use the space on the top of it with a piece of wood + a cover to have a quick standing place to eat at, or write something on or lay out a cleaning project, etc.

My particular issue right now is I have no space for a wardrobe. I've always had a closet to put my clothing in, and while I might get a wardrobe eventually it isn't going to happen for quite a few months.. right now I'm stuck in a pickle trying to figure out how to preserve and keep my hang-up clothes.. hung-up-looking without a space to actually hang them. Right now I'm rolling them via traveling-style, but that still creates wrinkles that become a pain pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Mauybe a folding table. there are ones that fold into the wall and also ones that fold up and can be stowed somewhere, like a card table.

If you post photos (or a floorplan/sketch) it might be easier to come up with more specific ideas.

I used a cheap walmart card table + folding chairs in my first apartment, and it worked great. I had my whole dining room area open for games and projects when I needed the space, and I could quickly set up a whole dinner area too.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My particular issue right now is I have no space for a wardrobe. I've always had a closet to put my clothing in, and while I might get a wardrobe eventually it isn't going to happen for quite a few months.. right now I'm stuck in a pickle trying to figure out how to preserve and keep my hang-up clothes.. hung-up-looking without a space to actually hang them. Right now I'm rolling them via traveling-style, but that still creates wrinkles that become a pain pretty quickly.
I have no additional suggestions for Ivy about the table. For your hanging clothes, though, have you considered a metal laundry room garment rack like this? They come in a wide variety of sizes, configurations, and prices.

41-OkHK9iTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
I have no additional suggestions for Ivy about the table. For your hanging clothes, though, have you considered a metal laundry room garment rack like this? They come in a wide variety of sizes, configurations, and prices.

This is off-topic, but too amusing not to share (the picture jogged my memory). Though in an attempt to bring this slightly on topic, [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], this might be inadvisable to use if you have young children around.

My mother had one of these when I was a child, although it was simply a basic frame (no cross wire base or sides) with a vinyl zipper covering. It was kept in the attic to store many of her expensive and rarely used dresses (including her old wedding dress). Unfortunately, around the age of 8 when I discovered it, my cousin and I dubbed it "the sing box". Where upon climbing inside and zipping shit, we would proceed to jump/spin around (ocassionally causing it to fall over while still inside, which would mangle the frame among other things) all the while scream-singing as loud as possible. In the process, accidentially ripping down the very expensive afformmentioned dresses off their hangers, and stomping all over them. I had a terrible habit of using inanimate objects not as intended. This resulted in multiple trips to the dry-cleaners to remove wrinkles, or to repair fabric and seam tares. This happened multiple times over several years. My mother was quite unamused. Ever non-plussed, the occasional punishment did not deter me, and I would resume the activity several months later when my cousin or friends came around.

I was a difficult child.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My house is fairly small (1090 sq. ft.). We plan to move soonish but probably not this year, so we struggle to figure out ways to live in our small space. One thing that is eluding us right now is a dining table- there's no room for it in the kitchen (we also have to have a crate for a large dog) and we don't have a dining room, so right now we just don't have one. But I miss eating together at an actual table. I tried to solve this one once before by purchasing a dog crate that goes under a nice table, but it doesn't really work since you can't put your legs under it.

My latest idea is to use a low coffee table and big pillows for seats. I actually really like this idea, but to be honest, I prefer the LR without a coffee table since it makes it seem bigger. So I would want the low table to be able to be put away when not in use, and I'm having trouble finding something that meets that criteria.

Would love to hear ideas for space-saving solutions for this and any other aspect of apartment or small-home living! What are your space issues? Let's solve them together.

What building about a table that is attached to the wall that you can fold down and put back up when not in use? Like a murphy bed. Then while you are eating dinner, the Dog crate can be moved to the unused area of the house and put back when dinner is finished.

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] some of my friends have bedrooms where are table and sofa-bed, so it's like having dining room and bedroom in one place. I don't know if it is an option for you?

I can recommend the simple idea for narrow corridor. Big window(!), I would never believe the result will be so good.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
How about an end table dog crate? There are a variety of sizes and styles, and you get an end table that looks more attractive than a crate out in the open with the bonus of the kitchen being freed of the dog crate and you could then maybe add a table there after all? Even one of the fold-down tables that installs right against the wall if you are still pressed for space.

dogcrate.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Newport-Pet-Crate-End-Table-Espresso/28844026

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a folding table might be your best option. Someone suggested a card table. That works, unless you prefer your coffee table a bit lower. The legs could be shortened with a saw, but there is probably something similar with shorter legs.

Not sure if it's in your budget, but have you looked at IKEA? They can be pricey and their furniture sometimes shoddy, but they also carry lower cost furniture and if you go to their store, they have an "as-is" area with broken, damaged, or incomplete furniture. We got some cheap Lack tables from the as-is area; they were in good shape except for a few scratches. You might be able to customize something to your needs with some old IKEA or thrift store furniture--if nothing else, IKEA is a good source for ideas. We've built better furniture after browsing their store for ideas. You're paying more for the IKEA brand name than anything, so if you have basic carpentry skills, you can probably craft something as good or better at a fraction of the cost. Check for clearance items at Target as well. Without a floor plan or a better idea of the shape of your rooms, I can't really offer any better ideas. Sorry.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes the folding table is a good idea (is there an echo in here?), our house isn't big either and it definitely helps.

I suppose the cutting edge of space saving ideas is the things landlords do to their flats in London, making "homes" out of the tiniest of spaces...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I do have the potential to get one of those actually, I just have to find the space for it... Right now I don't have a place to put a wardrobe.. I will once the spare bedroom becomes just that instead of a catch-all storage fiasco. Until then, I'm trying to think of a smaller scale way of storing the clothes space-wise that allows them to hang without the floor space. I thought maybe stringing some tough rope between the two walls of the bedroom, but it'd only work if I had a ladder in the room full time to access the clothes hanging up high--and it doesn't really protect them from moths either.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I love this idea. Yes it's a coffee table but it's very useful.

space-saving-coffee-table.jpg

I also agree with IKEA. There are so many cool hacks for IKEA things, check Pinterest.

Our house is old, built in the late 40's as a cottage and added on to a couple times over the years. When we bought it, we had to do major work such as all the electrical, windows, roof...you name it. My major complaint was closet space. We have 4 bedrooms, two on the main level, two on the walk-out lower level. Eventually, we will enlarge the master and the bath and do away with the one main level bedroom and add a walk in closet. Until then, I bought these for both bedroom closets.

Rubbermaid 4 ft. - 8 ft. Configurations White Deluxe Custom Closet Kit-FG3H8900WHT - The Home Depot

This makes a world of difference. The closets are long and tall but they aren't deep. These take advantage of the height, my husband basically put them up to the ceiling with more hanger bars below. This is far less than a closet redo or custom closet storage and you can buy any additional pieces that you need. The other thing I've done is buy furniture pieces that have storage. Such as storage ottomans, cabinets instead of tables, kitchen carts with shelves and cupboards and so on.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh so THIS is why you have the Kondo book! Now I understand.

The folding table/IKEA ideas are great, as is the dog-pen-as-furniture idea. Besides that, there are a lot of good tips on Pinterest, Apartment Therapy, and The Kitchn about maximizing potential storage space (e.g. under your bed, in your closet, on your kitchen walls, in your cabinets). Also all the typical Kondo things, plus one addition that may or may not be in the book, which is that one gadget that does multiple things is better than several gadgets that only do one thing (assuming the multitasking thing is good at what it does). For example, why have a zillion knives in a knife block and use up counter space, when you only really need three knives?

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh so THIS is why you have the Kondo book! Now I understand.

The folding table/IKEA ideas are great, as is the dog-pen-as-furniture idea. Besides that, there are a lot of good tips on Pinterest, Apartment Therapy, and The Kitchn about maximizing potential storage space (e.g. under your bed, in your closet, on your kitchen walls, in your cabinets). Also all the typical Kondo things, plus one addition that may or may not be in the book, which is that one gadget that does multiple things is better than several gadgets that only do one thing*. For example, why have a zillion knives in a knife block and use up counter space, when you only really need three knives?

*"Don't half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

I have one relatively shallow drawer in my kitchen that didn't work for much. I couldn't put silverware in there - too narrow. I couldn't put bigger, less used utensils in there because it was shallow. I bought one of these for my knives.

signature-v-bamboo-knife-storage-drawer.jpg

It got them off the counter and it made use of this fairly useless drawer. Here is another system I really like for multiple items, especially if you like that industrial/rustic look.

Modular Kitchen Wall Storage Collection | World Market

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think upwards to save space. Getting taller bookshelves, using hardshell plastic storage crates that can be stacked high in a closet, etc is one of the best approaches. We don't realize how much room there is above our heads. That is what I always have done in small spaces.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think upwards to save space. Getting taller bookshelves, using hardshell plastic storage crates that can be stacked high in a closet, etc is one of the best approaches. We don't realize how much room there is above our heads. That is what I always have done in small spaces.

Agreed. Going vertical can be your best option in a small house or apartment. I have a lot of shelves in my house. They're relatively cheap to buy or make and you can get decent shelf brackets at Lowe's or similar stores.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The dog crate as furniture is such a good idea that I actually already did it a couple years ago. ;) The dog crate table I mentioned in the OP is a lot like the one PeaceBaby linked to. It's our kitchen table, right now, with some stools around it, but it's not really pleasant to use for meals because you can't put your legs under it. My son is really the only one that eats there.

I've considered chucking the kitchen-table-dog-crate idea and using it as the TV stand in the LR instead- but our current TV stand houses the cable box, DVD player, the WiiU, and all the games/DVDs/CDs. So they would need another home and then we'd just have another problem to solve. It's quite a puzzle!

I do love IKEA and we have one a couple hours away, so it may be time for a pilgrimage.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The dog crate as furniture is such a good idea that I actually already did it a couple years ago. ;) The dog crate table I mentioned in the OP is a lot like the one PeaceBaby linked to. It's our kitchen table, right now, with some stools around it, but it's not really pleasant to use for meals because you can't put your legs under it. My son is really the only one that eats there.

I've considered chucking the kitchen-table-dog-crate idea and using it as the TV stand in the LR instead- but our current TV stand houses the cable box, DVD player, the WiiU, and all the games/DVDs/CDs. So they would need another home and then we'd just have another problem to solve. It's quite a puzzle!

I do love IKEA and we have one a couple hours away, so it may be time for a pilgrimage.

Maybe a set of modified boxes to help house all of those gadgets? Maybe instead of it floating on the wall, it just sat on top of the dog crate?
f90cf804031f24bb687b57c987866414.jpg

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Can we get a picture so we know what we are dealing with? Possibly a table that folds down from wall? Kinda like they do with fold away beds and some ironing boards.