• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Space Saving Solutions

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow. Thanks all!! PS this doesn't just have to be about my house- I didn't put it in a personal area so anyone can ask/brainstorm here.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet Ivy........ but having a hippopotamus is the opposite of space saving. Sure its ability to levitate over a box, and its apparent double jointedness is impressive. But if a pet like that isn't earning you the American dream of a mansion comprised off smaller mansions; then it might be time to let it go.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know what you're talking about, [MENTION=10550]Dr Mobius[/MENTION]. Are you referring to my cat, shown in my avatar? I know it's a really bad cat, but it's not nice at all to call her a hippopotamus. She can't help her weight problems and oiliness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you glue a horn on her nose, you could call her a rhinoceros... That's nothing to be ashamed of, that would be a badass cat.

---

My life is easier, since I'm on my own, but I do use the tops of things to store items. (Like, I bought a bunch of decorative boxes, like from Michaels, and store various things in those on the top of my cabinets and fridge. And I store other things atop the removable wardrobe that was in my apartment bedroom when I moved in.)

In the dining room area, I actually have an ornate wooden screen (four panel) that I use to block off a corner of the room (maybe 2' x 6') behind which I store things.

I use sliding boxes under my bed to store CDs, etc.

I do have one of those large Ikea "cube" shelves (4 cubes by 4 cubes) into which i can install drawers, pull-out bamboo boxes, and/or just use some of the slots as bookcases and storage rack areas. And since the unit is only about 5' high, above it I have pictures on the walls + a bunch of decorative stuff running across the top to spice up the room's appearance.

I know it's harder if you have multiple people in your family, and you actually would like to have a sit-down area for meals. (For me, I just have a small table in my kitchen that I never sit at.)

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't like items that stick out. I like solutions that are well hidden and do not add to the visual clutter.
Like a footstool that lifts and contains a large compartment inside.
Or a bed with drawers underneath.
I'm neurotic about that. I rather just have a Monica style closet for all the clutter than some hanging organizer. :(

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Btw

For a table, you should get something like this:

White-Goliath-2.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Our space-saving solution in the kitchen: We had a bunch of stuff getting cluttered up, and needed to clear out the space, so I'm taking a note from [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] 's book and buying a butcher block that goes in a drawer, and we installed a tool bench. It was free because it was in the shed, but it took up WAY too much space in there. You know, the big metal red ones full of drawers. Half of our kitchen is a work-bench area, so it fits the look of that, but it's going to hold a lot of items that are sort of crammed into corners and not very useful right now like mason jar lids being piled massively on top of the counter space and extra spoons and forks. I'm in the process of cleaning it out and disinfecting it so it's useful for things that are used for food.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Very resourceful!

:encore: I'll take a pic once we get it all settled into the new home! Right now my military gear is in the way of its new home, but once we clear out the shed that trunk will go in there out of the way.