• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moving Out

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey TypeC, approx. a year from now I'll be moving out of my dad's house and renting an apartment in town with a friend (oh yes, we've discussed all that needs predetermined discussing, don't worry). I've compiled a list of all the things I'm going to need and color-coded it by priority, but of course a lot of this stuff I can't really start collecting until I'm actually out of here.

So, for the members here who have more life experience than I, what advice would you give about the process of moving out on your own for the first time? Tips & tricks? Things people generally don't tell you or that I should be prepared for? What kinds of things can I start buying NOW to prepare, and what things should I save for buying until later/closer to the actual move-out date? Tell me anything & everything. :wubbie:

Tater

as you've already done to an extent, coordinate with your roommate. (who will handle which bills? at what point should the person who's paying expect a portion from the person who's not? who will do which chores? what stuff should not be touched? who's getting the mail?)

get a spare key if possible.

clean up after yourself.

make sure you both know when the lease ends.

make as many bill payments electronic as possible. avoid signing up for snail mail. pay them on time; many utility companies will gladly charge late fees before finally shutting things down.

use this time to learn how to balance a check book. online statements work more often than not but sometimes people will overcharge for services and banks make mistakes.

if you can, book a meeting with a financial consultant to forecast what you'll be spending for in the future and how much you'll need.

buy some lysol.

stay hygienic.

do nice, unexpected things for your roommate so things don't get rocky.

keep an open mind. when you're out, you and your roommate will grow in ways you may not expect. be supportive as best you can.

before learning the nitty gritty from your landlord, assume you don't know anything about the fine print of your lease so you absorb as much as possible. if your arrangement is less formal, then this strategy will give you a greater advantage as you will be putting them on the record. (in fact, use a similar approach in most places or institutions where you're outnumbered. take advantage of every opportunity. knowledge is power.)

know how many guests you may have in your apartment and for how long.

avoid eating out. honestly, if you buy groceries from a dollar store, you can save a shit ton and still get a safer, more enjoyable meal than you would eating out. if you're an undergraduate with not much dime, you may want to keep this option open.

keep in touch with your folks on your own time so they don't panic and invade your space.

lock your doors and keep your shit locked down. keep your local area connection password protected.

you'll be able to find an app for just about anything. (finding the cheapest gas in your area, keeping track of your online bank statements and balances, locating public transportation, etc.) take advantage of these tools. they make life very easy.

buy some chairs, a coffee/breakfast table, and a bed if necessary. before spending on anything bulky, ask family members if they have anything to spare. you're going to want at least a week worth of towels / wash cloths. ~10 sets of silverware / dishes. how much you need depends on how much and how often you're willing to wash them, so get a few extra of most small items that could be lost or damaged.

most importantly, have fun!!!

i wish you the best.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION]!!! Really helpful info. Also, about how many months' rent do you think I should aim to save up in advance just in case something happens?

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Moving out for me was unsurprisingly non-ritual. So long as rent was in the landlord's hands come its due everything else can go to shit. That's my only hot tip.

Tater

Thanks [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION]!!! Really helpful info. Also, about how many months' rent do you think I should aim to save up in advance just in case something happens?

np.

in case something happens? i'm unsure what you mean.

in general, i think it's a good idea to start saving for life purposes / retirement at this stage. i don't know too many who have, but may as well make a habit of it.

depending on the nature of the lease... the landlord may not charge you for the rest of the time stated on your initial agreement if you both decide to bail, provided you give a timely notice. or they may charge you regardless. you'll have to take a look. if one of you decides to bail, but the other wishes to stay without a guarantee of full monthly payment, then it's up to the landlord whether they'll allow you to find a new co-tenant. they would see it as a liability. but stay connected with other folks. i've seen invitations thrown out on my facebook page by people in similar positions.

you and your roommate will probably benefit from signing a co-tenancy agreement after you've signed the lease. both are legally binding.

you'll be moving in about a year, so you'll have ample time to browse apartments and other opportunities. : ) keep a pros and cons list. when discussing business with the landlord, ask how many other applicants there are. if there are more than a handful, then you may want to direct your attention elsewhere.

thoroughly inspect the property before you move in, not just for your own evaluation, but so you can let the owners know about any abnormalities or damages you're not liable for. then, they won't take it out of your security deposit later (which may be as much as 2 months' rent, you'll pay up front.) if you find anything off, make a note of it in writing and send a copy to your landlord.

having a good credit score will increase your chances of finding an apartment, since they often do credit checks.

start packing a few months in advance, so you don't forget anything. it's possible to live a minimalist lifestyle, but at least bring important paperwork.

whew. hope this helps!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks!! Luckily there are TONS of apartment complexes in my city to check out so at least one of them should work out fine. The co-tenancy is definitely happening. Since I'm still living at home really the only things I own are like clothes, books, stupid stuff from when I was a kid. What kinds of things should I buy & pack now/a few months in advance and what kinds of items should I hold off on, do you think? Also... I don't yet have a credit score since I've never used credit. Is no credit score considered a bad thing?

matsurikafarra

MBTI Type
none
Enneagram
non
I have experienced this when I was taking my OJT back then. It so hard to move out especially there were really many things and appliances which I should bring with me. Why don't you also ask your friends to help you?