• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What resources do you personally find most helpful to learn this stuff?

Are there any online forums you find particularly helpful? Or do you just happen to already know people who can tell you whatever you need to know?

I don't usually talk to people much :doh: My dad knows a lot and what he doesn't know I google search and read countless articles, forums, and watch you tube videos and adapt it to fit my needs. I take what a single person says as a grain of salt and work towards building a silo.

Its funny because he taught me about walls and I had to teach him about "code" because I went through the process of a permit and inspection.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Textured last section of master today and also put on last coat of mud and then textured nursery also :) Just gotta put some sample paints on the wall once texture dries and then we will be ready to paint. Master will be a lighter purple with a dark purple accent wall. Nursery will be a light green.

What we did for nursery is that first 2 or so years we converted part of master bath/closet into a nursery. Its a 5'6" x 10'0". We don't really need much of a nursery at this point as neither plan on spending a lot of time in it. Its basically a place for a crib and a dresser. That s leaves us with about 11'x10' remaining for master bath/closet. Not as big as the 17'x10' it will be once we remodel the master bath/closet, but still a decent size.

Will post pictures later. Right now its just a small room with texture, no paint, and concrete floors. Floor will be carpet in nursery and wood floor from living room will flow into the master bedroom.

I really don't know what I am gonna do with master bathroom yet, possibly stick down vinyl. I really just want something temporary that wont be a PITA to pull out when we remodel and tile the floor. I am looking into used garden tubs so we can have something bigger then the little standard shower tub. Something maybe 40+ inches wide. It would be nice to be able to fit 2 people in the tub. It will also give me a little experience going into the concrete foundation and moving plumbing since I will have to move the toilet about 12" over. These are the times I wish it was a pier and beam so its easier to redo the plumbing.

The original master bath/closet is a retarded design IMHO, but to each their own. Imagine 3 rectangles that are about 5.5' to 6.0' and 10' deep side by side. The middle triangle is where the tub and toilet are. The tub goes from wall to wall on the back side and the toilet is next to the tub. Rest of rectangle is empty. The left and right are mirror images of each other. these rectangles have a wall in the center which creates 2 small 5.5'x5' rooms. These 2 left and right sides are what open up to master. The small room closest to master has a basin and mirror. The small room right behind it is the closet. Mirror image on opposite rectangle. The basin area has a door that goes to the tub/toilet area. Its like a Jack and Jill setup except both sides you get to from the same bedroom.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Decided to just put pictures of old layout. Ignore mess between installing door, doing drywall work, storing crap until we can get the 3 rooms finished and setup, laying floor leveler and pulling wood floors into room it is a disaster. Will clean it all up today so we can paint and then do wood floors.

Back wall of master, there is talk of putting a 2 sided ventless fireplace in this wall so you can see it from bath and from master. I just don't know if I wanna cough up the $3-4k it will cost for the fireplace and to run gas.

Basin area on right side(left side used to be the mirror image before we turned it into a nursery. The door in back is the walk in closet. I guess you can see the depth. The matress that is stuffed in it sideways is queen size and push up against back wall of closet.

Entrance to tub toilet area...still under construction. Only used at this point to store toilet paper.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is the new entrance to the master that I put in. This used to be just a flat wall with old style wood paneling with a long hall behind it that went to the master bedroom. I didn't like the hall so made a small little entrance area to master, middle of hall will be a dry bar, and to the left of dry bar turned into a big 3'x3.6' linen closet that opens up to the shortened hall that leads to the 2 other bedrooms. The TV is just temporarily mounted. It will eventually be pushed back just behind the wall and I will be mounting it on an actuator and it will drop down from the attic. House is still a mess since its still under major construction. Its coming together though. Still working on installing baseboards in living room area.

Still trying to decide on dry bar colors and stuff.

edit: found a before picture. This was right after we started working on the house in august. We weren't living in yet. We moved in probably a month after this picture was taken.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Found a few more pictures of front entrance when we first got house. These are just after we started construction, so walls were up and no tools when we bought it.

That room now

People thought I was crazy when I bought house and I was trying to explain how I wanted to change it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its been a little while since I updated pics. Between work, life, and house things have been busy. Almost finished nursery, master bedroom, master basin area, and master closet. Closet is tiny for now. The nursery is taking up a huge section that used to be part of bathroom/closet area. Decided it would be good to have just a nice little nursery in the master until the baby is a year or two. Then we will move him into another room. Not sure if I mentioned it, but expecting a baby, lol. Due in 3 weeks, so huge push to get this whole room done and moved in before then. Just a few minor things like caulk trim, texture and paint the 2 white spots, etc.

Here are pictures when we moved in, the house had hideous wood trim everywhere.

I havnt touched this room yet. The whole bathroom is gonna be completely redesigned when nursery goes away

Enjoyed sending this pic out on facebook...and down came the wall

and up went the door

Here are pics from tonight...oh and its painted again. I really don't know why we painted it that yellow in the first place. Plans have always been purple. I think GF didn't want to look at the ugly white walls so we just painted them until we were able to actually work on the room.

Fans are just in place to get rid of paint smell so it doesn't make the whole house smell bad. I probably should have taken air filters off so they don't have to be replaced, but I am lazy...lol

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kitchen will be next. Here is a peak at around when we bought it. We started some construction, but hadn't done much yet.

Wet bar

Dining area

Looking at kitchen from dining area. wall on left is back of wet bar

GF burned her hand one night cooking because we have like 12 inches next to stove to use for cooking so I had fun

Installed recessed lighting

And now we have a nice big 7 foot of usable counter space :)

The next step is just a temporary change until we completely remodel kitchen which we will be knocking out wall behind stove and making use of small hall to garage in kitchen. In the last picture the tall cabinet on right will be pushed over about 2 feet and place where oven is will be made into someplace to put microwave. The stove which is below vent-a-hood will be replaced with a standalone oven/stove which is sitting in garage right now and a 24" wide countertop added. I will also be pulling the cabinets out and turning the counter into a 30" deep counter instead of standard 25". The current oven is tiny and we cant even fit a regular size cookie sheet in it. We may or may not paint cabinets, that is to be decided later. For remodel, entire kitchen will be gutted sink moved to where dry bar used to be, pantry moved next to where sink is now. Current sink will turn into a small desk with stool and cook books. Pantry and wall behind stove will be knocked down which will add an extra 3.5 feet to kitchen and possibly add an island(we will see). Will finalize everything as time gets closer. We are still just tossing around ideas.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still working on living room, but coming together. TV is just temporarily mounted. Will be on an electric actuator that goes into ceiling above dry bar area. and also need to finish dry bar area.

Before...behind the wall was a long hall that went from front of house to master bedroom in back of house.

Now

Friend and parents came in and decorated nursery.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The bathroom mirror is gonna be framed, just Havnt done it yet. I like the floors. Struggled alot with finding the right tiles. Pretty much just settled with this color as it didnt look bad. I am happy with it though. Test things I always struggle with is color and accessories. I am good with layout and construction.

The walls ended up the color they are because I wanted to paint one room that color and we couldn't figure out what color to paint the house, so it all got painted that color.

When I went in the house for for he first time, I remodeled how we need to rearrange the floor plan and major ideas, but not color scheme.

Ooo...I'm really good with color! If you need a second opinion Lemme know. ;) But you are right to do it last. Especially if you are knocking down walls. Light changes that a lot. I've been working on my own place for about a year now. I'll post pics when it's done. Good job! It looks well done.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ooo...I'm really good with color! If you need a second opinion Lemme know. ;) But you are right to do it last. Especially if you are knocking down walls. Light changes that a lot. I've been working on my own place for about a year now. I'll post pics when it's done. Good job! It looks well done.

Ok, I know what looks good, but my specialty is function, not looks. When I walked in I knew what needed to be done function wise, but not colors or anything in regard to that Type of looks

Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Paste is acting up on phone, had to do 4 seperate posts for pictures. Back bathroom coming along. Grout tonight and then all the little stuff.

Floor was $134 so far, counter was $79 (aunt does commercial corian installs so I just had to pay for bowl), cabinet on sale for $284. Drywall and misc about $125so far.

Anomoly

MBTI Type
ENFP
poki...
have you got the time and muscle to make a natural flooring?

rip it up and start again...

earth power!!!

and arrrr! i can't upload the piccy
enfp doh

Attachments

• Z5LNr2B (1).gif
    Z5LNr2B (1).gif
    498.8 KB · Views: 107

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
poki...
have you got the time and muscle to make a natural flooring?

rip it up and start again...

earth power!!!

and arrrr! i can't upload the piccy
enfp doh

What type of natural flooring? Examples? Not gonna rip this up, but also not the last house I am gonna fix up. I enjoy building things, this is my first house to remodel.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
and its looking good poki. heres a link to some ideas
https://www.pinterest.com/jasspauze/bois-debout/

I like the one with the wood ends that are square. The round looks cool if they would find a better filler material.

Now I am curious how much it would cost to build a log house like the one in that link. Buy a plot of land with a ton of trees and clean up an area and use the wood for the house. Much easier to cut and build your own log house like that then having to get really long straight lumber. Especially a large studio with no walls other then a toilet area.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, that is all quite impressive:)

Thanks, feels good when people come over and think I contracted it out. Especially when they find out I am a computer programmer. I have always loved building things and learning. I knew just the basics when I started, have learned a tremendous amount in the process.