• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. I haven't tried this at home yet, but... it looks impressive.
Especially on an empty stomach while sitting at work.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/why-chocolate-chips-ruin-chocolate-chip-cookies-113364968844.html

b6b653c7526a230c15c9f5f0f026e3680b8660bc.jpg

RECIPE: SALTY CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
•1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
•3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
•1/2 cup sugar
•1/4 cup powdered sugar
•2 large egg yolks
•1 large egg
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
•Maldon or other flaky sea salt

etc.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Interesting. I don't know how I would feel about baking them that much - every instinct I have to to leave them in the oven no longer than 8 minutes. The suggestion about tossing some cornflakes in is absolutely right. I wouldn't have thought so - until I made Momofuku's Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies. Woah. Now I know why the things cost like $14 apiece.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting. I don't know how I would feel about baking them that much - every instinct I have to to leave them in the oven no longer than 8 minutes. The suggestion about tossing some cornflakes in is absolutely right. I wouldn't have thought so - until I made Momofuku's Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies. Woah. Now I know why the things cost like $14 apiece.

Depends on the oven. Mine takes 9-10.

And I'll have to try the chopped chocolate next time... I generally buy really good quality chips, but I like the idea of little pools of melted chocolate re-solidifying in my cookies. Mmm.

One thing I do that makes a huge difference is brown my butter. :drool: It gives the cookies a nice toffee-like quality.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I own The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book by Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I unreservedly endorse chopped chocolate in place of chocolate chips. Real chocolate is so much better than those waxy little bits. I especially like how you can use bigger pieces. My other tricks are to tilt the brown sugar/white sugar ratio a bit more in favor of brown sugar, to underbake by about a minute, and to add cornflakes as ceecee suggests or even roughly crushed pretzels for that hit of salt.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My other tricks are to tilt the brown sugar/white sugar ratio a bit more in favor of brown sugar, to underbake by about a minute, and to add cornflakes as ceecee suggests or even roughly crushed pretzels for that hit of salt.
The book I mentioned in my previous post has a recipe that uses crushed potato chips. The cookies are very crispy and slightly greasy and salty. It's pretty cool. :D

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I am so subscribing to this thread.

I have a question. I can make really good thin, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but I can never seem to figure out how to make those thick, soft, cakey ones. They always come out flat. What da problem is?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Never heard of the cornflakes thing before. interesting!
I actually tend to use more brown sugar too.

I have a question. I can make really good thin, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but I can never seem to figure out how to make those thick, soft, cakey ones. They always come out flat. What da problem is?

I'm not a huge baker, but i think baking soda and/or eggs are used to make things cakier. I think the cookies flatten out more with more butter/oil/shorterning, too. Probably someone else can better give you more specifics on what to try.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Butter/margarine may be the issue, it melts fast and tends to spread. You could use butter flavored shortening and see if that helps. The flour may be another issue. Try cake flour or another lower protein flour. Parchment lined sheets help too.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

This may be helpful to you: The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book: From Chocolate Melties to Whoopie Pies, Chocolate Biscotti to Black and Whites, with Dozens of Chocolate Chip Cookies and Hundreds More: Bruce Weinstein, Mark Scarbrough: 9780060562748: Amazon.com: Books

In addition to a whole bunch of recipes, it also has tips and advice. There are a variety of factors such has humidity, temperature of the butter, temperature of the eggs, baking powder and baker soda degrading as they get old (humidity can compromise baking soda), etc. It's pretty detailed.

Another neat feature is the crunch-o-meter at the beginning of each recipe. It indicates the texture category: fudgy, chewy, cakey, crunchy, and hard. Some cookies are in between, such as the chocolate chunk cookies which are described as chewy-cakey.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] Awesome, thanks so much!

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good old Alton Brown. He's probably the main reason why I'm a competent cook.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll kill two birds with one stone, by posting my chocolate chip cookie recipe.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

2 sticks BUTTER (must be butter, not margarine), softened but not melted
3/8 cup white sugar
3/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs

6 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate chips, or real chocolate chunks
1 cup walnut pieces

1. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, and vanilla with a mixer, until creamy.
(Alternatively mash these ingredients together with a large steel spoon.)
3. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring each one in completely.
4. Gradually stir in the flour mixture.
5. Add chocolate and nuts, and stir.

Scoop out rounded tablespoons full and place on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Texture should be somewhere between cookies and bread; definitely not all flat and gooey.
These are far less sweet than normal chocolate cookies but stick to your ribs better.

Wash down with a glass of cold milk. Aaaaaaaah. (wipes mouth) :wubbie: :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Good old Alton Brown. He's probably the main reason why I'm a competent cook.

or a computer cook. actually i baked last weekend i love it when i have people take bake for there's the nicest eastern european people two units down the lady makes a point to talk to me, perhaps i should see if they like sweets and bake for them. I baked a dobos torte for my mom's co-worker and friend who is hungarian and she later told my mom that i make it better then a lot of the places in hungary which is like an amazing compliment i'm gonna make it son i just need to get the right size pans

Inari

From personal experience dicking around with cookies, increasing amount of flour will directly result in thicker, cakier cookies if you change nothing else in your recipe.

What happens when you add more flour to cookies?
What's wrong with my cookies? A troubleshooting guide | MNN - Mother Nature Network

But just adding flour won't make a flat cookie better. Here's a pretty good guide on a bunch of different variables in cookie recipes, and what effect they have:

The Food Lab: The Science of the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies | Serious Eats

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Put some pieces of daim in it besides the chocolate

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION]

It's all about the butter.

cookie-with-different-butters.jpg

Flour amount helps too, like [MENTION=14388]Inari[/MENTION] said.

Put some pieces of daim in it besides the chocolate
That sounds amazing.

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, it's about the butter, in my opinion. I always use real butter. I just use the Tollhouse recipe. But, one trick I learned from my grandmother, if you want cakey cookies that are also chewy, take the cookie sheet and bang it on something really hard about half way through so they fall. It sounds weird, but it works great.