• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Poached eggs

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is one thing i suck at, anyone any good at them? if so tell me your trick. I usually don't do true poached eggs but use a cup of some sort and float it in the boiling water.

Beorn

Permabanned
This is an area where quality organic/pastured eggs really make a difference. The whites are just a lot more cohesive. I would not try the vortex method with regular eggs.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I just want to make egg benedicts i can make an awesome hollandaise btw. and i have the eggs and the english muffins and butter and i probably have dried mustard i just need the tabasco and lemon juice and ham.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is an area where quality organic/pastured eggs really make a difference. The whites are just a lot more cohesive. I would not try the vortex method with regular eggs.

I've done it with regular eggs many times successfully. The only thing that really mattered is that the eggs were cold.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Poach Pods. They're these little silicone cups that you crack your eggs into and then float in a covered pot of simmering water for about 5 minutes. Perfect poached eggs every time.

KitchenFly

Frypan small slash of red wine vinegar small sprinkle of (rosemary) optional. 1/2 a little finger depth of hot kettle water one center meter, stove top medium heat, place eggs in the shallow bath and sigh with amazement.

Cook toast and take take pan of heat when they start looking A-ok. Butter toast add some (Juice oil from a gar of olives) optional.

And celebrate eating one of natures colliery delights the poached egg.

Doktorin Zylinder

The poach pods are nice if you don't want to babysit your eggs, the ramekins or custard cups work as well, but I like lowering my already cracked egg into the water with a large serving spoon.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Add a little tiny bit of white vinegar to the water. Crack your egg into a ramekin or a shallow small saucer and slide it into the simmering water. You could try the vortex thing but it takes practice. It does make the perfectly shaped egg though.

Perfect Poached Eggs Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I tried this and it worked pretty well, even with eggs that aren't necessarily fresh.

One idea I had was to crack the egg in a little bowl and pop it in the freezer while I prep the water to make sure it was extra cold. I think that seemed to help hold it together.