• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wearing shoes inside

á´…eparted

passages
I think the fact that you put your babies in boxes is way more weird then taking shoes off.

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

but the other thing that would not be tolerated here was my mom told me how infants are left outside in strollers bundled and no one touches them. proof that the Finnish are smarter than americans, because who wants a baby on a whim?

At first I was like WTF, but this is actually super cool. I'd love to see this take off in other countries.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have separate house shoes. My feet get really cold, plus I need arch support, plus I hate stepping on things or hitting my bare toes on stuff. I take my shoes off at other people's houses unless they insist otherwise.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
At first I was like WTF, but this is actually super cool. I'd love to see this take off in other countries.

same but would it work? here would be great, but i feel like some how everything good gets screwed up. but you have to admit its way weirder than the shoe thing, i never said it was bad, just compared to shoes

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would be odd for me to put my shoes back on after getting naked.

Also I hate wearing shoes in general. They're way too warm. I like my feet cold and fresh. So regardless where I am, if it is at all accepted for me to take my shoes off, they dont stay on for long.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually keep mine on unless they're dirty. Otherwise, I always have to go through the extra step of putting them on again when I need to take out trash, let the dog out, grab something I forgot in the car, etc.

They don't come off until my pants come off.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I heard about this a long time ago but I also think it's pretty brilliant.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Depends on what shoes I'm wearing. Rain boots will always come off, sneakers might stay on longer. But generally taking them off is the first thing I do when I get home, or to a friend's house. I probably shouldn't, I need the arch support. My mom has a pair of Birkenstocks that she only wears inside, might invest in that at some point. I think I just like bare feet though. I used to get in trouble for taking my shoes off at school and walking around barefoot.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

talked to my mom about the babies in boxes in finland. She thinks it could work here if you only provided it to the women under a certain income level. The issue is getting it implement it just seems like here unless it benefits the ultra rich not much happens.

p.s. My mom's an NF most likely

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah, no shoe rules in my house although we're not expected to go round walking in shoes, I usually go all the way to my room then take my shoes off, then barefoot all round unless it's super cold. I get why it's diff for other people though, sometimes I'd go to a friend's house and have to take shoes off immediately, other times I can wear my shoes inside, just a random culture thing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the fact that you put your babies in boxes is way more weird then taking shoes off.

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

but the other thing that would not be tolerated here was my mom told me how infants are left outside in strollers bundled and no one touches them. proof that the Finnish are smarter than americans, because who wants a baby on a whim?

The Finnish government is protecting a future taxpayer.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Strictly no shoes and I expect people to remove them before they come in (though I've been raised to believe that such a demand is rude, but I don't waste my time cleaning dirt of carpet when they leave). I enjoy being barefoot inside and outside, I like the feeling of cold, soft grass in winter, even if it means that I have to wash my feet before I go back in.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
At a beach house, it wasn't even SHOES that were the problem! We'd often be barefoot. The rule there was to use the hose to rinse of the sand and salt water off your feet (and the rest of your body) before going inside. Without that rule, there'd be a ton of sand inside, and the couches would gradually get encrusted with salt water.

We live on a lake with a beach and this is so true. We have an outside shower just for cleaning off but when the kids were small, getting their little bodies sand free was a job. It still got tracked in no matter what.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I never wear shoes inside. It's unthinkable. Socks, usually--occasionally I'll go without in the summer, but even then, I'd prefer to have them on. I'm trying to get in the habit of wearing flip-flops when I go outside in the summer, because my sock tans are always atrocious. It's just something about exposed feet, though...

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I
Strictly no shoes and I expect people to remove them before they come in (though I've been raised to believe that such a demand is rude, but I don't waste my time cleaning dirt of carpet when they leave). I enjoy being barefoot inside and outside, I like the feeling of cold, soft grass in winter, even if it means that I have to wash my feet before I go back in.

if you're worried about being rude, try to do it in a nice, passive aggressive way. :laugh:

I usually do this after I let them in:

Smile and show them where everything is.

• "You can put your coats here" *points to coat rack*
  • "You can place your bags here" * points to purse hanger*
  • "You can place your keys here* points to key hanger*
  • "And you can leave your shoes here" * look at their feet then the shoe rack; finish with a smile* :D
If you have guest slippers, you can show them those too, so that they don't have to worry if they're not wearing socks.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just don't invite people over. I don't like having others in my space anyway.

bedeviled1

It seemed to be more of an issue here years ago when most people had carpet. Today tile or hardwood is mostly used so it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I don't expect or desire anyone to remove their shoes at my house...unless they want to.

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Shoes on.

I can't imagine people taking their shoes and socks off in my home. It's really hot where I live, most people wear sandals around this time anyway.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My guests MUST put off everything. Absolutely everything. Summer or winter does not matter. Putting on weight or losing some either.