• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

christmas dinner what do you have usually or this year

Ingrid in grids

We always have a big lunch instead of dinner. Christmas lunch tends to be a little more summery here.

Entree
Seafood (usually crayfish and oysters) with champagne

Main course
Roast turkey and ham
Whichever salads we choose to make (this year I'm making a watermelon salad, tomato salad, potato salad, and a simple greens salad)
Red and white wine

Dessert
Sometimes pavlova, but this year it will be plum pudding with brandy ice cream
And dessert wine

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
We always have a big lunch instead of dinner. Christmas lunch tends to be a little more summery here.

Entree

Main course
Roast turkey and ham
Whichever salads we choose to make (this year I'm making a watermelon salad, tomato salad, and simple greens salad)
Red and white wine

Dessert
And dessert wine

yeah christmas dinner for us and most people where I live tends be around 2-3 in the afternoon don't know why it's called dinner :shrug:

my mom use to have a traditional orthodox christmas eve dinner growing up but it was all fasting foods cuz they don't break the fast til midnight tonight

drinks for us
red wine and white wine
water with pear and cucumber in it
assorted sodas
a heifenweisser
a christmas beer
glogi (which is more a starter the rest are for with the meal)

the count is now 14 people

wait so is your easter more wintery since the seasons are reversed? and our easter tends to be more summery?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In terms of family/childhood, Christmas was celebrated mainly on Christmas Eve first of all, and was frequently represented to me by assorted nuts with nutcrackers, port wine cheese balls and crackers, rolladen or some kind of sausage/weinie, raw crudite veg with curry dip, Chex mix (oh the yearly Chex ritual, drying on newspaper in the laundry room), pecan pie, pumpkin pie, mince pie, seven layer cookies, fudge and punch or wine. I have a huge family and this involved extended relatives, not 700 pound diabetics.

My mom more recently likes to switch things up and make brie in phyllo dough with berries, and you know, on Christmas day there's always stuff like green bean casserole, yams and mashed potatoes to go with the turkey or roast.

When I am not with family, I try new recipes and also rely on "holiday" staples, interchangeable with Thanksgiving.

This year I made white chocolate pumpkin fudge, and am probably having something like a tofu dish or spicy chickpeas and rice for dinner. Holidays are not so much food to me as music, church on Christmas eve, drinks and maybe movies and decoration.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Entree

Main course
Roast turkey and ham
Whichever salads we choose to make (this year I'm making a watermelon salad, tomato salad, potato salad, and a simple greens salad)
Red and white wine

Dessert
And dessert wine

Where are you from? A country in Europe or the Southeastern US? Because holiday/Sunday "dinner" is common in the afternoon where I am from too. Plum pudding with brandy ice cream sounds lovely.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
yeah christmas dinner for us and most people where I live tends be around 2-3 in the afternoon don't know why it's called dinner :shrug:

my mom use to have a traditional orthodox christmas eve dinner growing up but it was all fasting foods cuz they don't break the fast til midnight tonight

drinks for us
red wine and white wine
water with pear and cucumber in it
assorted sodas
a heifenweisser
a christmas beer
glogi (which is more a starter the rest are for with the meal)

the count is now 14 people

wait so is your easter more wintery since the seasons are reversed? and our easter tends to be more summery?

Dinner is lunch, supper is the evening meal. It comes from the French dejuener I think, a third of the English language is French.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
of course there are people who want low alchol beer hell my grandpa drank odoul's for the same reason, he liked the taste but not the effects

I actually like the taste of wine. I would drink low alcohol wine, on some occasions, gladly.

Your grandfather may have been an alcoholic.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I actually like the taste of wine. I would drink low alcohol wine, on some occasions, gladly.

Your grandfather may have been an alcoholic.

he wasn't, he was southern baptist and he did drink alcohol on occasion

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
he wasn't, he was southern baptist and he did drink alcohol on occasion

Southern Baptist aren't supposed to drink alcohol at all (like alcoholics, Southern Baptist convention, etc.) so that explains it. :)

Ingrid in grids

Where are you from? A country in Europe or the Southeastern US? Because holiday/Sunday "dinner" is common in the afternoon where I am from too. Plum pudding with brandy ice cream sounds lovely.

Australia. Entree starts at around 12-1, and then we usually pace ourselves 'til about 4-5. Generally we skip dinner on Christmas, unless there's cheese. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
This year for Christmas lunch we had rolled pork roast with crackling, roast chicken, roast turkey, potato wedges, green beans, cauliflower/cheese casserole, and rolls. For dessert there was cheesecake, trifle and pavlova.

:happy2:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so i pecan pie has been added
and we're making duck gravy
and the mushrooms are gonna be on their own

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Kotikalja is a variety of what would be called "table beer" or "malt beer" in English. It's not common in English-speaking countries.

("Low-alcohol beer" is regular beer that has had some of its alcohol boiled off at the very end of the normal brewing process. Kotikalja and the like are beers fermented at room temperature and only for a day or so, which doesn't allow the yeast to convert very much of the wort to alcohol in the first place. :drwho:)

Okay thanks. I looked those up and seems like danish have some similar malt beer to kotikalja called hvidtøl Beer in Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that they also drink traditionally on christmas :)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Like 20 family members all congregate at my ISFJ 2w3 Grandmother's house and we have WAY too much food.

We typically have red wine and water for drinks.

Dinner:
Roast turkey
Stuffing
Spiral ham
Homemade enchiladas (favorite!)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Weird pea dish my aunt made
Fruit salad
Jello salad

For dessert:
Cookies
Pumpkin pie
Cherry cream cheese pie
Apple pie
Chocolate pie
Pecan pie (favorite!)

Like I said, waaaaay too much food. Grandma goes overboard, and everything has to be perfect. But, we get to take home tons of leftovers and my mom always makes split pea soup out of the ham bone. Yum.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Like 20 family members all congregate at my ISFJ 2w3 Grandmother's house and we have WAY too much food.

We typically have red wine and water for drinks.

Dinner:
Roast turkey
Stuffing
Spiral ham
Homemade enchiladas (favorite!)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Weird pea dish my aunt made
Fruit salad
Jello salad

For dessert:
Cookies
Pumpkin pie
Cherry cream cheese pie
Apple pie
Chocolate pie
Pecan pie (favorite!)

Like I said, waaaaay too much food. Grandma goes overboard, and everything has to be perfect. But, we get to take home tons of leftovers and my mom always makes split pea soup out of the ham bone. Yum.

we make black bean. oh and someone bought a chess pie (my fav) since next year we're gonna divi up the sides and desserts I told my mom to assign that person chess pie every year she comes (she makes the best chess pie btw)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
we make black bean. oh and someone bought a chess pie (my fav) since next year we're gonna divi up the sides and desserts I told my mom to assign that person chess pie every year she comes (she makes the best chess pie btw)

I've never had chess pie... I've always understood it to be similar to pecan, minus the pecans.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Christmas was my most different this year so far.

Christmas eve:

Lychee flavored sake and plum wine
Seaweed salad
3 different types of sushi rolls - a spicy one, a savory one, a crunchy/creamy one mellow one
..and a tartare of seafood
Afterwards, some lemon shine cocktails

Christmas day: Everything was home cooked from a garden or fresh from the market
Salad and a tomato corn basil soup
Baked salmon
A mixture of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes of different colors roasted and covered with spices and maple syrup
A mixture of carrots of different colors roasted
Tiramisu cake piece and a piece of apple cake for dessert
Hot tea to drink and a glass of sweet white wine