• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

christmas dinner what do you have usually or this year

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so we're having 12 people here for christmas dinner we're having:
duck
spiral ham
mashed potatoes
brandied cranberries
cranberry jello salad
corn pudding
green bean casserole
sweet potatoes
deviled eggs
stuffing
mushroom gravy
salad
rolls
pumpkin pie
cookies
chocolate

then assorted sodas, beer, and wine to drink. and of course water

for breakfast we usually put out coffee, orange juice, country ham, biscuits, and nut roll (though might not happen this year)

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Starters
Devils on horseback (grilled prunes with bacon)

Dinner
Roast ham with breadcrumb & apricot stuffing
Roast turkey with sausage stuffing
Creamed potatoes with Swiss cheese
Asparagus, steamed
Gravy with the meat of course.

Dessert
Christmas pudding
Chocolate trifle

As for the drinks - well, champagne to start, then reds (Pinot Noir and Shiraz usually).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ham ofc, this Imelletty perunalaatikko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , some cheeses with it and this delicious ham sauce thats easy to make. We are going to have a proper feast, but i dont really like most of the traditional finnish christmas foods. Also this beer that i have no idea what it is called in english(or if it even has a english name), but its dark, low alcohol thats sweet.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ham ofc, this Imelletty perunalaatikko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , some cheeses with it and this delicious ham sauce thats easy to make. We are going to have a proper feast, but i dont really like most of the traditional finnish christmas foods. Also this beer that i have no idea what it is called in english(or if it even has a english name), but its dark, low alcohol thats sweet.

my mom used to sometimes work in finland she has finnish friends i'll find out what it's called from her via one of her friends oh her post doc (who got her ph.d from where my mom worked over their) who now lives here and works for the same university as my mom might know

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my mom used to sometimes work in finland she has finnish friends i'll find out what it's called from her via one of her friends oh her post doc (who got her ph.d from where my mom worked over their) who now lives here and works for the same university as my mom might know

Well its kotikalja in finnish, literal translation would be home beer. When looking at wiki and clicking the english page, it only gives low-alcohol beer page, but according to the page, in usa low-alcohol beer is under 1.2%, while the finnish version is under 3%(the one i got is 2.2%) and rarely 1.2% or lower. I kinda suspect that there isnt an english name for it :/ I mean its nothing like normal beer really.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well its kotikalja in finnish, literal translation would be home beer. When looking at wiki and clicking the english page, it only gives low-alcohol beer page, but according to the page, in usa low-alcohol beer is under 1.2%, while the finnish version is under 3%(the one i got is 2.2%) and rarely 1.2% or lower. I kinda suspect that there isnt an english name for it :/

it's ok no worries

93JC

I usually split my Christmas time with each of my parents' respective sides of the family. It's what we'd done when I was a kid. My grandparents (both sets) used to live on the same street, about eight blocks from my parents' house. On Christmas Day we would go to one grandparents' house in the morning, open gifts, mill around for a bit and sometimes stay for lunch, then walk down the street to the other grandparents' house, open gifts, have a little bit to eat, and then go back to the first house for dinner. We would alternate year-to-year which grandparents we would have dinner with.

After my grandmother (my dad's mother) died in 2001 we had one last Christmas at her house (she died Dec. 1), and since 2002 my dad's side of the family has gotten together at some point between Dec. 24 and Dec. 28 for a Christmas dinner at either my parents' house or my uncle's acreage. It depends on how schedules work out; e.g. my uncle and his wife usually get together around Christmas with her family at some point, sometimes her brothers come and stay with them, etc. Last year we had Christmas dinner at my aunt's house (my father's sister) for the first time.

On my mother's side of the family we always have dinner at her parents' house. Usually on Christmas Day, but sometimes on another day depending on what aunts, uncles and cousins are doing with their respective extended families.

This year I'll be at my parents' house for dinner with my dad's side of the family (seven of us) on Christmas Eve. My mum is making turkey. It's some sort of roast, not a full bird. I'll be at my grandparents' house for dinner on the 27th (Saturday) with my mum's side of the family (12 of us plus an infant). I'm not sure what we're having for dinner. In years past we had ordered a ready-made meal to go from one of the local hotels; it's a full turkey dinner, cooked by the hotel's culinary staff, complete with vegetables, cranberry, potatoes, buns, and chocolates from a local chocolatier for dessert. All you have to do is place the order and pick it up at the assigned time. I'm not sure if we're doing the same thing this year.

Chthonic

I'm a bit gauche I'm afraid. I'm having pizza, homemade, gourmet of course. But it's pizza and I don't normally eat it otherwise.

Garlic
Oregano
Spanish Salami
Red onion
Bocconcini
Rocket
Marinated Artichoke

Washed down with a dark ale. The kitties get venison sausages. :D

Dessert - Apple Cheescake

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I remember 2 more things well one and the other i learned that we were having
cheese rounds (actually cheese straws but they're made into cookies, the kind that have the rice crispies in them)
a cheese ball that has raspberry jam on it. (we're gonna use some of my the stuff my brother made and gave my mom for christmas)

Sorry I fully expect to be sick for a day and not want to eat for 3 after christmas dinner.

93JC

Kotikalja is a variety of what would be called "table beer" or "malt beer" in English. It's not common in English-speaking countries.

("Low-alcohol beer" is regular beer that has had some of its alcohol boiled off at the very end of the normal brewing process. Kotikalja and the like are beers fermented at room temperature and only for a day or so, which doesn't allow the yeast to convert very much of the wort to alcohol in the first place. :drwho:)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Kotikalja is a variety of what would be called "table beer" or "malt beer" in English. It's not common in English-speaking countries.

("Low-alcohol beer" is regular beer that has had some of its alcohol boiled off at the very end of the normal brewing process. Kotikalja and the like are beers fermented at room temperature and only for a day or so, which doesn't allow the yeast to convert very much of the wort to alcohol in the first place. :drwho:)

remember english speaking countries look at something containing alchol and think "how drunk will this get me?"

my mom found a place that sales growlers here and is gonna 3-4 and said that she's had them before and once open the first time you can reclose them and the repressurize and are good for another 6-8 weeks

Chthonic

remember english speaking countries look at something containing alchol and think "how drunk will this get me?"

Actually I'd like to be able to buy a low alcohol beer. I rarely drink because I hate the effects of alcohol but I love the funk which is brewed beverages. Our beers here get higher and higher alcohol content. Standard used to be 4% but now many have 8%. We used to brew our own ginger beer as kids but it doesn't do teeth any favours.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Actually I'd like to be able to buy a low alcohol beer. I rarely drink because I hate the effects of alcohol but I love the funk which is brewed beverages. Our beers here get higher and higher alcohol content. Standard used to be 4% but now many have 8%. We used to brew our own ginger beer as kids but it doesn't do teeth any favours.

of course there are people who want low alchol beer hell my grandpa drank odoul's for the same reason, he liked the taste but not the effects