• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to season a roast?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm gonna do one in the crock pot, I know onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, and towards the end add potatoes, but do i need to add any liquid such as beef stock or water and what herbs sage and rosemary?
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm gonna do one in the crock pot, I know onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, and towards the end add potatoes, but do i need to add any liquid such as beef stock or water and what herbs sage and rosemary?

I'm waiting for [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] /Gordon Ramsay to chime in, but there should be enough fat that it could be ok by itself, however, I usually add like a cup of water or beer. Or what I really love is Zesty Italian, like 2 cups. It's goddang delicious. Probably no matter what you do, if it's in a crockpot at around 5-7 hours, it'll be delicious. I've also added dried Onion Soup mix with great success.

Never tried beef stock, but that is very common.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Italian dressing abd beer sound yummy. I use olive oil also for additional juicyness.

just remember, It is a sin to eat meat fat. man is not supposed to eat the fat of meat as it is meant as an offering to God only.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I'd add at least a little bit of a liquid. Beer sounds REALLY good [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION].

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah I'd add at least a little bit of a liquid. Beer sounds REALLY good [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION].
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] as well, yeah I have some fat tire maybe a bottle of that or half a bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hm. Roast I don't do much because we ate it on the weekly growing up (it used to be a cheap cut of meat people didn't really want..) but I do it occasionally.

Crock pot, slow cooking is best if you don't want an oven on forever. The roast is hopefully fatty enough to melt it down and be its own basting... but I do add liquid because it just freaks me out trying to cook things in a crockpot without liquids. The liquids help cook evenly, and on top of that make clean up way easier. I add beer generally, and a bottle of it is more than enough and you can probably get away with half a bottle.

(I'm the queen of freezing-for-later, and wine and beer happen to be things people tend to not polish off at parties. I don't drink beer, so I freeze wine and beer leftover in muffin tins and then store them in baggies for recipes. The beer doesn't have to be stellar quality to cook well, and in fact makes you feel less guilty about alcohol waste if you use rejected watery beer. I save fancy beers for stews.)

The vegetables themselves lend to flavor, and the roast actually has its own flavor.. the more spices you add, the more you'll alter it. I like dry rub/BBQ style spices because I'm from Texas and we put that shit on everything. But beer mellows them out, and lets the roast shine through. An alternative that you could use that's getting really popular lately is hard apple cider. Either way, something not too overpowering works. Chicken broth would definitely work and be cheaper, but I think the beer adds something to it the chicken broth just lacks.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Pot roasts w/veggies isn't my favorite but I do make this, sometimes with and sometimes without the vegetables but the gravy is so good.

2 1/2 pounds beef or pork roast; (up to 3 pounds) (can also use a pork roast)
1 packet Good Seasons zesty Italian dressing
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
1 packet brown or onion gravy
1 packet au jus

1 onion
1 garlic
potatoes
carrots

Mix together packets of dressing and gravy, then coat roast on all sides. Place in crock pot, and add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. I will also usually add some fresh minced garlic cloves (3 or so) and one small onion that I've chopped up at this time. Turn crock pot to low temperature. About four hours later, I add potatoes and carrots. I'll also eyeball the roast at this time, and will sometimes add another packet of onion gravy or au jus gravy and another 1/2 cup of water. Let roast and vegetables cook another 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until potatoes are tender and roast is 150-160 degrees. Remove vegetables and roast from crock pot, pour juice in crock pot into sauce pan. I make a thickening agent of cornstarch and water to add to the juice. Bring to a boil until it thickens, stirring constantly.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Italian dressing abd beer sound yummy. I use olive oil also for additional juicyness.

just remember, It is a sin to eat meat fat. man is not supposed to eat the fat of meat as it is meant as an offering to God only.

That explains why it's so sinfully delicious.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I use spices and onions.....these depend on the meat in question. i find stronger spices like paprika work better with red meats. and not overdone, but like a light coating on the outside.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
(I'm the queen of freezing-for-later, and wine and beer happen to be things people tend to not polish off at parties. I don't drink beer, so I freeze wine and beer leftover in muffin tins and then store them in baggies for recipes. The beer doesn't have to be stellar quality to cook well, and in fact makes you feel less guilty about alcohol waste if you use rejected watery beer. I save fancy beers for stews.)

We had people over this summer and someone brought lime beer. While I like one, there were 4 left, no one would drink them all. I threw a couple cut up chickens in a big freezer bag, added 2 of the lime beers, garlic, salt and pepper, a little cumin and paprika and I put it in the freezer. I grilled them a few weeks later, the chicken was excellent. I'm sure I didn't invent this recipe or anything but it was a good way to use up the beer that would have sat in the fridge otherwise.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know how much time you have, but I like to brine meats if they're going to be roasted or slow cooked. It adds a lot of flavor and you don't need to add extra liquid to the pot.

Use as much brine as you need to cover your meat, but the basic formula is 1/2 gallon of water, 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. You can also add any spices you want. Let the meat sit in the water in the fridge for at least 2 hours but as much as overnight. The salt draws out the moisture from the meat and then it's reabsorbed with all the spices so the meat is juicy and flavorful.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know how much time you have, but I like to brine meats if they're going to be roasted or slow cooked. It adds a lot of flavor and you don't need to add extra liquid to the pot.

Use as much brine as you need to cover your meat, but the basic formula is 1/2 gallon of water, 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. You can also add any spices you want. Let the meat sit in the water in the fridge for at least 2 hours but as much as overnight. The salt draws out the moisture from the meat and then it's reabsorbed with all the spices so the meat is juicy and flavorful.

I bought the meat tonight (i needed creamer) i plan making it friday so if i do the brine thursday night and put in the crock pot friday when I wake up, after i brine it I'm guessing a throw out the brine, but do i do anything else special?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I bought the meat tonight (i needed creamer) i plan making it friday so if i do the brine thursday night and put in the crock pot friday when I wake up, after i brine it I'm guessing a throw out the brine, but do i do anything else special?

Correct, you throw out the brine. You can still put a rub on it, which is actually what I like to do as well. Just make sure you pat the roast dry first to help the rub stick. You don't need to add any additional liquid, but if you want to for flavor (like with beer) you can, just not too much.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I assume this is a beef roast. Beer is a good choice, the darker the better, but wine would work as well. I usually save rosemary for pork or lamb, and use garlic, pepper, savory, and a bay leaf or two for beef. Rosemary's not "wrong", though, so if you like it, use it. If you want something different, cut up a rutabaga with the other veggies. Their strong, sharp flavor gets very mellow when cooked like this, and is a nice addition.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm probably gonna do half to 3/4th bottle of fat tire, a large onion, 1-2 carrots, 1 stalk celery, 2-3 potatoes, salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of olive oil. Just keep it simple
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION], I like rutabaga, except iirc they're a bit of a bitch to cut up, plus i had already gotten all the stuff by the time you posted, next time i'll try that. I tend to avoid the grocery store, well mostly that parking lot as much as possible

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I ended up doing half a beer, one giant onion (the ones that are slightly smaller than a newborns head), 3 small stalks of celery, 2 carrots, salt and pepper, and a splash of olive oil, potatoes will be added about half way to 3 quarters of the way through, hopefully it's good. the roast was 2.11 lbs

Attachments

• 20141205_082221.jpg
    20141205_082221.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 108