• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rotisserie Chicken HALP ME

gromit

likes this
Ok... so I had invited some meat-eaters to Thanksgiving but didn't realize they were coming until today.

I have no idea how to do meat at all. Do you think I can get a rotisserie chicken from the store and re-heat it the next day, maybe wrapped in foil in the oven? Will that be good? Or maybe baste it in some cooking sherry + butter or something while it's heating to stay moist?

Anybody ever had success with that sort of thing?

I'm making tons of other types of food, so just this one part won't be homemade.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
feed me the skin then i dunno. i just really like the skin and juice

gromit

likes this
Thanks [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION]! I had actually come across that exact same link and was thinking of trying something like that, but wanted to see if anyone had actually done it/had any firsthand advice

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those things are so moist and delicious when you buy them I'm sure it'll taste great.

Enjoy your holiday!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ha... wanna come to my place and do it? :alttongue:

I have no qualms... I've been bitten and flapped at and scratched by enough chickens to see it as vengeance :2ar15:

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"Poultry is like meat except when you cook it rare. Then it's like bird-flavored Jell-O." - P. J. O'Rourke :laugh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think the rotisserie chicken will be perf. They are lucky you're that nice, as a vegetarian to offer meat at your Thanksgiving meal! A store-bought rotisserie chicken is a great compromise so they can have the main dish they're used to and you don't have to actually put your hands on gross raw meat. I'd just heat the thing up and focus on your non-meat dishes.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
As for reheating- I've always just stuck them in the oven and they are fine. I don't mind meat being a little dry, though. Adding butter and cooking sherry sounds interesting- I might try that myself one of these days!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My favorite recipe is really simple, and SO flavorful and no one will ever guess the key ingredient. It makes a great gravy, sauce, and the garlic pieces cooked in it are so tender you squish them right out of the skins and spread them onto bread. If you're wanting an easy, but personal touch to things that's cheap, chicken leg quarters are typically like $1/lb at cheaper food markets. Most of the ingredients are stuff in pantries or cheap.

But I'm assuming you're not really into actually cooking meat.. Sooo in that case, the only thing I'd say is to put a small pan of water in the oven as well. Chicken meat tends to dry out if you heat it up too much or too long.. for beginner cooks for meat, a small bread loaf pan with water in it can help provide some moisture in there to keep you from messing up. Alternatively, if you're worried, brush it with olive oil before wrapping it up in aluminum foil to offer moisture to sink into the chicken if you suspect it being a little dry and scraggly. I know some people enjoy dry meat... but I don't know many (they're blessings, they eat all the icky breasty parts), most people want moisture in their meat.

LonestarCowgirl

Heheh very fancy. Too fancy. Approximately 10x too fancy. Maybe when I'm not on a student's budget I can afford some nice meat for carnivore friends.

No problem. In that case, I defer to [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] 's knowledge, as I'm a novice cook. I had a brief, yet positive experience with rotisserie chicken once. I purchased it at Kroger, brought it home, cut it up into a few servings, ziplocked, froze, and reheated. I thought it was pretty juicy and flavorful. I was impressed.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes you can reheat, just add a little chicken stock/broth once you slice it.

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], I think it was fine. There was a miscommunication actually and one person made an entire turkey. I guess she had said "I can make a turkey" but I didn't realize she meant "I will make a turkey" :doh:

I don't think she is the kind of person that resented making the turkey, so it all turned out fine.