• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Not Eat Octopus?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Charred octopus is really tasty, it brings out more flavor and helps with the rubbery texture. As far as sentience, I have no qualms with eating one until I can have a conversation with one, but I am happy when people err on the side of empathy in their food choices.

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, if you don't feel a personal connection through conversation or something interpersonal, you cannot factor in the others' experience?

á´…eparted

passages
If a creature is sentient, they want to live and feel pain when they die. That is the only relevant factor. There are humans who are severely mentally challenged, but we don't think that means there is no issue hurting or killing them. It's a sentience issue - not an intelligence issue. So, yea, if you're eating animals, it makes no difference which one you ate - except to the animal. They all feel the pain. When people start trying to factor in intelligence and personality, it is just skewing the topic and extremely odd rationalization.

It might not be logically rational, but it doesn't have to be because it's an emotional reasoning, and in this context that's ok. It's a personal decision (meaning, for one individual within themsevles) they're making.

For some, it simply makes them feel poor or guilty to eat something that they regard as "higher" or more intelligent. It's usually equated with higher value and a higher likelyhood of self-awareness on par with humans. If they feel a connection in some sort to it it's going to disuade them. It's not rational, but it doesn't need to be.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sure intelligence has something to do with it. But if so, it must be selective. People eat pigs, and they're pretty intelligent.
Found a good discussion on the 'selective' thing.

A recent study suggests that an animal’s perceived intelligence is the main factor in determining whether or not we will be disgusted by the thought of eating it.

The key word here, though, is “perceived”.

According to this study, people tend to ascribe lower levels of mental functioning to animals that they are about to eat.

So do we eat tuna because tuna aren’t very intelligent, or do we tell ourselves that tuna aren’t very intelligent so that we can eat them?

Pigs aren't smart, if we define smartness by e.g. "lack of propensity to roll around in mud." There, done. They're now okay to eat. Sweet, juicy justification.

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It might not be logically rational, but it doesn't have to be because it's an emotional reasoning, and in this context that's ok. It's a personal decision (meaning, for one individual within themsevles) they're making.

For some, it simply makes them feel poor or guilty to eat something that they regard as "higher" or more intelligent. It's usually equated with higher value and a higher likelyhood of self-awareness on par with humans. If they feel a connection in some sort to it it's going to disuade them. It's not rational, but it doesn't need to be.

If you're going to go that far, what needs to be rational? We can just make emotional choices (reasonings?) based on preferences. However, I have a feeling this is when people start to say, "O no. You can't make emotional choices here. Only there." The point I was trying to make is it's really not a personal choice if you factor in another sentient being is involved. So, one person is making a choice that effects another sentient being.

á´…eparted

passages
If you're going to go that far, what needs to be rational? We can just make emotional choices based on preferences. However, I have a feeling this is when people start to say, "O no. You can't make emotional choices here. Only there."

I don't know? I can't answer such a vauge question.

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Found a good discussion on the 'selective' thing.

Pigs aren't smart, if we define smartness by e.g. "lack of propensity to roll around in mud." There, done. They're now okay to eat. Sweet, juicy justification.

I don't agree with the theory that intelligence that mimics a human's is a factor. However, for people who think like that, scientists say pigs are as intelligent as 5 year old children.

But I like your comment. It proves my point. ;)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I like octopus with lemon and charred. It's very healthy. I'll admit I've thought about not eating meat, but octopus will be last on the list....it's delicious on less you get a nasty kind. Lemon sauce with oregano, Greek style, is best.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like octopus with lemon and charred. It's very healthy. I'll admit I've thought about not eating meat, but octopus will be last on the list....it's delicious on less you get a nasty kind. Lemon sauce with oregano, Greek style, is best.
Wellp... guess we can't be friends.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, if you don't feel a personal connection through conversation or something interpersonal, you cannot factor in the others' experience?

I have the capability and tendency to factor all experience, including that of celery and stars. I would surely starve if that was my rule.

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have the capability and tendency to factor all experience, including that of celery and stars. I would surely starve if that was my rule.

Are you about to say plants have feelings? Please don't.

Plants are single sentient organisms. They respond to sun, water, but they don't feel pain, emotions, etc..

Animals have nervous systems and feel pain just as we do.

I always feel so sad whenever I feel that needs to be said.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you about to say plants have feelings? Please don't.

Plants are single sentient organisms. They respond to sun, water, but they don't feel pain, emotions, etc..

Animals have nervous systems and feel pain just as we do.

I always feel so sad whenever I feel that needs to be said.

I really don't know why, or exactly what you're arguing with me about. Apparently things that I may say. Feel free to carry on. And don't worry, I won't cannibalize you, but only because we're the same E-type.

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't know why, or exactly what you're arguing with me about. Apparently things that I may say. Feel free to carry on. And don't worry, I won't cannibalize you, but only because we're the same E-type.

You said, "I would surely starve if that was my rule." What does that mean then? Usually, it goes down that path.

I don't see it as arguing - debating instead, but it's ok.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You said, "I would surely starve if that was my rule." What does that mean then?

It means that I understand enough about the world that doing the simplest things, like living, causes wide-spread pain and suffering, though maybe not directly, as in biting and digesting. At some point, as a person aware of this, I have to decide that you can't help but trample others, but I must find a way to mitigate my effects and honor others.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Squid's still okay, right?

Humboldt squids are jerks. They've attacked divers & attempted to consume them.

I'd eat squid all day long.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] Humboldt squids ARE jerks! They're like the raptors of the sea.