• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Not Eat Octopus?

NancyD

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It means that I understand enough about the world that doing the simplest things, like living, causes wide-spread pain and suffering, though maybe not directly, as in biting and digesting. At some point, as a person aware of this, I have to decide that you can't help but trample others, but I must find a way to mitigate my effects and honor others.

There is a difference between indirect and direct harm. Indirect harm cannot be helped.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] Humboldt squids ARE jerks! They're like the raptors of the sea.

:yes: This is why they must be eaten.

I have this primal urge to eat large animals that would eat me.
Exception being wolves/coyotes and of course large cats.

Large cats are welcome to my remains if they win the fight.

Because kitties. :wubbie:

Man.. seafood sounds really good right now, though.
(not octopus, though. I'll spare them)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

StrawberryBoots

I was served a baby octopus at a restaurant. I guess he was supposed to be a tasty little garnish with my entree, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to eat him. Imagine a little octopus fully intact, eight tiny tentacles dangling off your fork, as you slowly bring it in closer to your lips for a closer view.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I was served a baby octopus at a restaurant. I guess he was supposed to be a tasty little garnish with my entree, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to eat him. Imagine a little octopus fully intact, eight tiny tentacles dangling off your fork, as you slowly bring it in closer to your lips for a closer view.

Yeah that's pretty common in many Asian restaurants. I find it a waste because many people here will not eat them and so they died for nothing.

Mnay restaurants in Asia follow deplorable practices of eating live seafood. Sometimes they just remove their tentacles a to order, leaving them to writhe and suffocate on the cutting bored until all limbs have been ordered, after which they kill them by pulling the brain out through it' stomach.
Other times, they are just set on top of a steaming pile of cooked seafood while they are slowly cooked alive by the steam. Horribly painful.

With other shellfish which need to boiled alive there's debate about how well developed their nervous systems are, ie whether or not they feel any pain but Octopi are very highly evolved creatures, there is no doubt they feel pain.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Because one might be [MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION] and I dont want to eat her because she was nice

StrawberryBoots

Yeah that's pretty common in many Asian restaurants. I find it a waste because many people here will not eat them and so they died for nothing.
I've tried octopus sushi, which was tentacle with suckers. It was chewy and had an unpleasant taste. It's up there with sea urchin on my list of things I wouldn't eat again unless I was stranded at sea.

Mnay restaurants in Asia follow deplorable practices of eating live seafood. Sometimes they just remove their tentacles a to order, leaving them to writhe and suffocate on the cutting bored until all limbs have been ordered, after which they kill them by pulling the brain out through it' stomach.
Other times, they are just set on top of a steaming pile of cooked seafood while they are slowly cooked alive by the steam. Horribly painful.
I'm surprised to hear that. The unnecessary torture leaves me speechless. How are humans capable of this?

With other shellfish which need to boiled alive there's debate about how well developed their nervous systems are, ie whether or not they feel any pain but Octopi are very highly evolved creatures, there is no doubt they feel pain.
I'm okay with a quick death. I'm guessing death would be instant, as long as the water is boiling when the octopus is introduced to it.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had octopus in Malta, served with garlic, black pepper, and lemon juice.
It was nice. Poor guy had a family, though.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had octopus in Malta, served with garlic, black pepper, and lemon juice.
It was nice. Poor guy had a family, though.

I like to tell myself that the animals I eat had no family and also they were serial killers.

I like my meat as abstracted away from its source as possible. Like chicken nuggets and stuff.

(That's all exaggeration I suppose, but that's fine)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually quite like octopus, charred is the best. I dig the chewy texture. My SO is a vegetarian, and although I don't have near the same levels of interspecies empathy as her, I've found a nice trumpet mushroom is a good substitute for it in a number of contexts. I'd happily and easily switch over to fungus if given a nudge.

I’m adventurous sure pass me that :sick:

No, no. I can do this. I’ve got this- maybe lemon juice and it’ll :sick:

I need to do this. I can do this. Pass me that tentacle Johnny. What, no I’m fine.

Thanks :sick::sick::sick: Those weren’t new shoes right? Sorry Johnny.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If octopus is anything like squid - no thanks. It is like eating a chewy, tasteless rubber hose.

rav3n

If octopus is well prepared, it's not chewy and is quite tasty. But I haven't eaten any for a long time since I've shuffled them to the 'not food' list.

Mole

Permabanned
Octopus are surprisingly intelligent, but they are only very short lived, so have little time to build on their intelligence.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I've tried octopus sushi, which was tentacle with suckers. It was chewy and had an unpleasant taste. It's up there with sea urchin on my list of things I wouldn't eat again unless I was stranded at sea.

I'm surprised to hear that. The unnecessary torture leaves me speechless. How are humans capable of this?

I'm okay with a quick death. I'm guessing death would be instant, as long as the water is boiling when the octopus is introduced to it.

I like deep-fried calamari but other than that, I am not big fan of Octopus.

Too oversimplify; because many Asian countries take "Fresh sea food." very seriously.

Heh, I hate to be the bearer of horrifying news, but, no. Unfortunately, living things do not instantly die when submerged in boiling water.
I imagine an Octopi would die from organ failure or suffocation. ( land critters would eventually drown after going into shock).)

If octopus is anything like squid - no thanks. It is like eating a chewy, tasteless rubber hose.

Texture wise; yes, it is similar. Flavor wise; no.

Squid is MUCH fisher ( and that is why I don't eat it)

Last edited:

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It is impossible for us to fully know the inner lives of octopuses, but the more we continue to study them and other forms of life, the closer we can come to a working definition of “intelligence.” The real quandary here is, when we find them, what if aliens turn out to be delicious?

< full story with links >

This was the best part.

but here is some "intelligence"