• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's a good way to prepare Eggplant?

O

Oberon

I'm about to have access to a boatload of fresh veggies, including tomatoes of various kinds and a generous plenty of eggplant (the skinny cucumber-shaped ones).

I dearly love eggplant parmesan, but what are some other good ways to cook eggplant?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can do all sorts of things with eggplant.

Usually you'll want to salt it to get the water out so it doesn't get mushy (unless you're going for mushy).

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
what are some other good ways to cook eggplant?

I oven-roast thickly sliced eggplant (salt-dried, rinsed and dried, but you knew that) with dark sesame oil, let it cool and serve with sliced tomatoes, chopped parsley and a condiment of plain yoghurt, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Plenty of compliments and no complaints so far. :yes:

O

Oberon

Ratatouille.

Must...make...ratatouille...!

Should one salt-dry the eggplant prior to making the ratatouille... or confit bayaldi... or is this one of those cases in which we're actually going for 'mushy'?

O

Oberon

Oh man, that's delicious, but are you really going to bake during the hottest days of summer?

I wouldn't let that stop me, but it occurs to me that I could do it in a dutch oven (cast-iron, flat-bottomed pot) on the stovetop.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Should one salt-dry the eggplant prior to making the ratatouille... or confit bayaldi... or is this one of those cases in which we're actually going for 'mushy'?

You do it for the bitterness as much as for the texture:

Wikipedia said:
The raw fruit can have a somewhat bitter taste, but becomes tender when cooked and develops a rich, complex flavor. Salting and then rinsing the sliced eggplant (known as "degorging") can soften and remove much of the bitterness. Some modern varieties do not need this treatment, as they are less bitter.

(Why do I always find myself googling for lazy ENPs? :doh:)

lastrailway

I thought people did that to remove bitterness.

I salt it to remove bitterness.
My favourite dish with eggplant is fried in olive oil with squashes, tomato and green pepper, plus a simple tomato sauce with onion.
I usually fry the eggplants and the squashes very briefly and then let them on paper to remove the excessive oil and then put them in the oven with the sauce.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uh...because E's would sometimes rather interact with people to get their information...?

No need to trouble yourself if you prefer not to. :huh:

OMG did I under-use smileys in a post? I believe I did! :shock:

I wasn't chastising you, just chiding myself for my susceptibility to ENP charm. :yes: After all, when others will do it for you, why should you? :rolleyes:

O

Oberon

OMG did I under-use smileys in a post? I believe I did! :shock:

I wasn't chastising you, just chiding myself for my susceptibility to ENP charm. :yes: After all, when others will do it for you, why should you? :rolleyes:

Never mind me. I'm touchy lately for reasons even I don't understand.

I apologize...and thank you for your help.

I'll need to stop and buy some olive oil on the way home, I see...

MBTI Type
INTJ
what are some other good ways to cook eggplant?

1. Choose a perfectly ripe eggplant
2. Find a simple recipe that allows the flavor of the eggplant to shine
3. Plate the dish in an attractive manner
4. Dump in the trash, as eggplant is gross
5. Order pizza

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've never seen such a long discussion on eggplant. I've actually never seen/heard a discussion on eggplant.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Our family loves a dish called Hunkar Begendi, which is an eggplant puree made with Bechamel sauce. It's heavenly served with fresh tomato sauce and meatballs. Pretty darn great without the sauce and meatballs. From The Mediterranean Kitchen by Joyce Goldstein:

Hunkar Begendi

3 medium globe eggplants, 1 pound each

For the Bechamel:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tbsps. flour
1 cup heavy cream, heated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
pinch fresh nutmeg

1/2 freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Prick each eggplant in a few places with a fork. Put them in a roasting pan and bake until very soft, 45 minutes to an hour. Turn them occasionally for even cooking. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then peel and drain the pulp in a colander for 15 minutes. Puree the pulp in a food processor (you should have 6 to 8 cups).

For the bechamel, heat the butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Add the flour and cook until blended, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the cream and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Combine the eggplant puree, bechamel and Parmesan in a mixing bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Keep the eggplant puree warm over hot water until ready to serve or reheat just before serving.

Last edited:
O

Oberon

Not only does that recipe seem as though it would be delicious to me...

...it would double as a really good baby food. :D