• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Leave No Trace

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Leave No Trace is a set of guidelines taught to outdoor groups. It's about how to respect natural settings, such as not leaving toilet paper littering the woods or starting a campfire which burns down the forest or even leaves a pit or burn scar on the ground.

It sounds good, but I've always despised it. Why?

To some people, ethics is rules or guidelines. To others, it's philosophy--or deeper.

At the core of native cultures is a respect for the land. It's what sustains the culture itself.

"When the first Europeans landed in the Americas, they described it as one vast untouched wilderness. This was about the highest compliment they could pay to the Native people who had lived there for thousands of years." –Bill Mason

I wonder what it says about us, that we have to work to figure out how to respect the land? We are so far removed from it as a culture that we've forgotten that it sustains us also.

Chthonic

Leave No Trace
I wonder what it says about us, that we have to work to figure out how to respect the land? We are so far removed from it as a culture that we've forgotten that it sustains us also.

Stupidity and arrogance are the hallmarks of humanity. Of course we blindly believe we are masters of the universe and the world exists solely for our exploitation of it. I can't wait for the extinction of our species to be honest, the universe will be a better place for it. We are talking about the species killing itself by dicking with it's own food sources. Opposable thumbs it seems are double edged swords and clearly intelligence still lags behind that particular evolutionary feat.