• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wine-tasting Contests are Bullsh!t

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wine-tasting: it's junk science | Life and style | The Observer

"Colour affects our perceptions too. In 2001 Frédérick Brochet of the University of Bordeaux asked 54 wine experts to test two glasses of wine – one red, one white. Using the typical language of tasters, the panel described the red as "jammy' and commented on its crushed red fruit.

The critics failed to spot that both wines were from the same bottle. The only difference was that one had been coloured red with a flavourless dye."

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're trolling us all.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"Colour affects our perceptions too. In 2001 Frédérick Brochet of the University of Bordeaux asked 54 wine experts to test two glasses of wine – one red, one white. Using the typical language of tasters, the panel described the red as "jammy' and commented on its crushed red fruit.

The critics failed to spot that both wines were from the same bottle. The only difference was that one had been coloured red with a flavourless dye."

There is a big difference between quality wine and not good wine. A lot of those medals are being awarded to mediocre wines, so I can see how this guy's studies would be accurate. Those "experts" aren't really experts. In my experience, all it means when a wine has those medals on it that the stuff is probably not horrible. It doesn't mean it's good. There are people like Janice Robinson and Robert Parker that publish ratings that are trusted in the industry. It's just the opinion of one person and it's a thing related to personal taste, but their ratings are trusted for a reason. I think some of this depends on what you are in the mood for. One day, I can think a wine is the best one I've ever had. Then I try it two years later and am not as crazy about it. Then, I have it a year again later and think it's really good.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a big difference between quality wine and not good wine. A lot of those medals are being awarded to mediocre wines, so I can see how this guy's studies would be accurate. Those "experts" aren't really experts. In my experience, all it means when a wine has those medals on it that the stuff is probably not horrible. It doesn't mean it's good. There are people like Janice Robinson and Robert Parker that publish ratings that are trusted in the industry. It's just the opinion of one person and it's a thing related to personal taste, but their ratings are trusted for a reason. I think some of this depends on what you are in the mood for. One day, I can think a wine is the best one I've ever had. Then I try it two years later and am not as crazy about it. Then, I have it a year again later and think it's really good.

Wine tasting depends on a lot of subjective factors that wine judges, with their superior noses in the air, don't care to admit to. Most of those things are mentioned in that rather long article, but the debunking is an ongoing effort. As far as being considered a trusted professional judge, that too is subjective.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just going to drink Barefoot Riesling like the salt-of-the-earth type that I am.]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wine tasting depends on a lot of subjective factors that wine judges, with their superior noses in the air, don't care to admit to. Most of those things are mentioned in that rather long article, but the debunking is an ongoing effort. As far as being considered a trusted professional judge, that too is subjective.

Of course it is subjective, but if you try a $60 bottle of Caymus side by side with a $20 bottle of Kendall Jackson, you will notice a very big difference and likely think one tastes a lot better than the other. You'll also notice a big difference between that Kendall Jackson and 2 Buck Chuck. One is really good. One is ok. The other one is horrible.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Dude, it's all about $$$. Truuf. How Much Money Do Wine Tasters Make? | Chron.com

The majority of stock brokers make more and are about as effective (at beating the market) as throwing darts at a WSJ pinned up on the wall, but people love to buy BS.

P.S. Ya'll are a buncha winos...

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Ah, this reminds me: I remember playing a very simple trick with my grandfather on his brother (who refuses to drink anything except French champagne). All I did was take the Bollinger label off the bottle and put it on a bottle of dirt cheap local champagne, but the old geezer remarked that it was some of the best wine he'd ever tasted. While this is just a personal anecdote, you can find studies on the net that show the placebo effect to be huge with wines. The amount of snobbery in wine tasting has always amused me.

The only time I ever indulge is when i'm flying. If you can quaff ten year vintages and stuff yourself with caviar and quail's eggs when it's all included in your ticket, you may as well...

Speaking of which, I have never really understood the obsession with eggs as a delicacy either. Simple tastes I guess.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I knew that wine tastings were bullshit, but I had no idea that there were people who got paid for it.

:dry:

Not gonna do any good, though. They'll sneer at the science with their pointed noses in the air, scoff at what the swine below them have to say, and walk right back to the French winery, taking hordes of aristocrats with them.

At least, that's how it plays out in my mind.