• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Herb Garden

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am really interested in maintaining my own herb garden. Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment, and will need to make due with tiny square pots, rather than round, as they take-up less space.

I still have to research and plan it correctly before I just start purchasing plants.

I also have very very bad luck with plant life..or I guess they have bad luck with me. I can not seem to keep any plant alive for very long.

Does anyone keep an indoor herb garden? what are some ideas you can share, and how do you keep your plants alive?:(

I am also particular about how it will look, where it is placed, etc. However, I dont have a lot of place, and despite the below being ideal, they will likely end up near my kitchen window, where the most light is.

f93a21997c37f99d3e84b391c2c69138.jpg

Indoor-Kitchen-Garden.png

21574-Indoor-Herb-Garden.jpg

Unique-DIY-herb-garden-idea-for-the-kitchen-with-White-Wall-Interior-Design-Ideas.jpg

Adam

MBTI Type
DEUS
Be careful not to drown your herbs. Instead of using a regular watering can, I suggest acquiring and using a heavy spritzer (depicted below):
Free-shipping-New-2014-Zakka-Hot-selling-Colored-stripes-glass-watering-can-Gardening-Fashion-watering-tool.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Be careful not to drown your herbs. Instead of using a regular watering can, I suggest acquiring and using a heavy spritzer (depicted below):
Free-shipping-New-2014-Zakka-Hot-selling-Colored-stripes-glass-watering-can-Gardening-Fashion-watering-tool.jpg

This is a great idea because most people tend to overwater and kill them. In the summer, I grow mine on the south end of our deck in three large window boxes. Except rosemary and common mint because they get huge and take over. Those go in large pots on the deck. One part compost, two parts potting soil and one part perlite is best. You need drainage. Slow release organic fertilizer too, that should last a few months or more. Herbs are pretty hard to mess up, as long as they have lots of sun, aren't overwatered and aren't grown in too small a pot or box.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm still very interested in this.
I have tried now, multiple times, to grow herbs in my kitchen, beside the window. Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory and often forget to water the plants, or in my panic, I end up overwatering. So they've all died now :cry:

I came across this as an alternative solution and really want it. Maybe even two if I get greedy.
CG_SHG-White_10small.png

The Click and Grow might be quite useful. I've heard good things. Has anyone here tried it?

I've also purchased a spritzer as [MENTION=21888]Adam[/MENTION] suggested. This didn't help much, because, as stated earlier, I am the problem haha

I found a wall hanger for plants on aliexpress, for indoor kitchen gardens. There was multiple types I might fiddle with before splurging.

I think the main source of help will be knowledge.
I need to find time to learn about how to grow these plants properly. I killed a mint plant for gods sake, and those things grow like weeds!:irked:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have tried now, multiple times, to grow herbs in my kitchen, beside the window. Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory and often forget to water the plants, or in my panic, I end up overwatering. So they've all died now :cry:

I came across this as an alternative solution and really want it. Maybe even two if I get greedy.
CG_SHG-White_10small.png

The Click and Grow might be quite useful. I've heard good things. Has anyone here tried it?

I've also purchased a spritzer as [MENTION=21888]Adam[/MENTION] suggested. This didn't help much, because, as stated earlier, I am the problem haha

I found a wall hanger for plants on aliexpress, for indoor kitchen gardens. There was multiple types I might fiddle with before splurging.

I need to find time to learn about how to grow these plants properly. I killed a mint plant for gods sake, and those things grow like weeds!:irked:

I have not used the Click and Grow. I did buy a container made just for the window sill and it works very well. I just keep it in a sunny south facing window and water once a week.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-8337-herb-windowsill-box.aspx?show=all

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have not used the Click and Grow. I did buy a container made just for the window sill and it works very well. I just keep it in a sunny south facing window and water once a week.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-8337-herb-windowsill-box.aspx?show=all

that's a lovely container! I will need to find something similar and try it out. You are clearly more gifted at this than me. :(
I will try the watering once a week thing--I do this with the other plants around the house, and they all seem to be fine, years after. I don't know why I thought herbs should be treated any different.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bump / subscribed

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I did ask for an AeroGarden Ultra for Christmas. They're more versatile than I first thought and they can go anywhere.

8117iXPpuJL._SY355_.jpg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

CG_SHG-White_10small.png

I moved my plants outdoors. I don't have enough sunlight (they need sunlight not just through a window to thrive). So a window box is ideal.

Like everyone else is saying: you are probably over watering. If the soil is damp/cold to touch, it doesn't need watering. Too much water and you will get mold or spider mites (neem oil is a good natural insecticide or you could get others).

Another thing to note is how to take from the plants. For instance, with basil you don't want to pick the leaves off one by one. You want to pick the tops off. This will cause your basil to 'split' and grow more. You can find a better explanation online with better terminology but not doing these things properly can end the life of the plant faster.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I bought something called an eco tray on kickstarter. It's the equivalent of the automatic-dog-water-bowl things for plants. You stick a coke bottle or water bottle on it upside down and it leaks water as it's absorbed (and evaporating too I'm sure). A cheap way of re-creating this is to put a pot of water above the plant, soak a piece of cotton rope or fabric, and coil it around the outside of the pot with the other end submerged in the water. The water will absorb and carry along the fabric and water your plant slowly little by little. Also, harbor freight has spikes that you can attach water bottles to for watering plants constantly. Self watering!

+

You need light. Aerogardens are cute and all, but really they're just full spectrum light bulbs. You can grab those on amazon for $10.. or plant lights (which glow purple). Same same. Put it into a lamp and it's an instant garden light that the plants will benefit from. Added benefits: you can switch how tall the lamp is to accommodate the plants, or move a plant without moving the whole assembly.

=

Aerogarden assets for less than $25 and more versatile. (You can use a fancy lamp and make it classy. eat that aerogarden.)