• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

had an idea having to do with pet adoption (might not work)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the fact that people get pets impulsively and don't really want them when they're grown, I wish that shelters weren't over crowded and there was a more rigorous process in order to adopt like a way to prove that you are responsible and not gonna get bored and abandon said pet. everyone should be required to take a 3 hour course on whatever animal they want to adopt, but have an option to test out. of course people are still gonna be assholes but I believe a big problem is people adopt and not knowing enough about the animal they're adopting. it would be what to feed it, the general temperament, how big it will be full grown, common health problems to expect. ect. training tips

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ideally, that's a fantastic idea.

Realistically, though, I doubt people will have the funds to set up courses. Even if they did, I'm not sure people would be willing to pay to take said courses. The funds would need to come from somewhere. People can always go to a petstore or craigslist instead of adopting. There's only so much you can do to regulate things like that. It's a good idea, I just doubt enough people would consistently be on board or have the resources to really invest in such a change in the adoption process.

Perhaps the humane society, etc, could include some brochures/online tutorials for general pet care, & perhaps some specific troubleshooting pamphlets for specific pets being adopted out. That wouldn't cost much to produce, but you can't guarantee adopting owners would actually utilize the materials.

..that's all I got. :shrug:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
the fact that people get pets impulsively and don't really want them when they're grown, I wish that shelters weren't over crowded and there was a more rigorous process in order to adopt like a way to prove that you are responsible and not gonna get bored and abandon said pet. everyone should be required to take a 3 hour course on whatever animal they want to adopt, but have an option to test out. of course people are still gonna be assholes but I believe a big problem is people adopt and not knowing enough about the animal they're adopting. it would be what to feed it, the general temperament, how big it will be full grown, common health problems to expect. ect. training tips

I don't know about requirements from the state or anything.. but I think this is actually a great idea for shelters to implement. As part of getting a discount on your pet or whatever (incentive for customers), you attend a small course that teaches you how to train dogs properly, trouble shooting for things when adjusting to new environments, etc. etc. People could benefit a lot from simple instructions like that, and I think a lot of people would take that up for a 10% discount or something from the adoption. 3 hours would be too long, but an hour would fit in the basics, and a Q&A could facilitate particular questions about breeds after the initial hour.

I've sort of thought about having a section of land reserved for dogs belonging to people in the military.. where they could go on deployments for a year, and pay a small fee to have their dog as an outdoor dog on a plot of land until they came home. Like foster care for soldiers that are coming home again and are frequently forced to give up their pets because of temporary issues.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know about requirements from the state or anything.. but I think this is actually a great idea for shelters to implement. As part of getting a discount on your pet or whatever (incentive for customers), you attend a small course that teaches you how to train dogs properly, trouble shooting for things when adjusting to new environments, etc. etc. People could benefit a lot from simple instructions like that, and I think a lot of people would take that up for a 10% discount or something from the adoption. 3 hours would be too long, but an hour would fit in the basics, and a Q&A could facilitate particular questions about breeds after the initial hour.

I've sort of thought about having a section of land reserved for dogs belonging to people in the military.. where they could go on deployments for a year, and pay a small fee to have their dog as an outdoor dog on a plot of land until they came home. Like foster care for soldiers that are coming home again and are frequently forced to give up their pets because of temporary issues.
yes I really like the military thing. Do you think I should present this idea to the humane society? this idea actually came about when someone on facebook posted an article about tegu lizards being adopted and released in florida and the problem is they're an invasive species. But if we can start with dogs and cats either way it's a problem that needs to be adressed (not just lizards but all animals) Wildlife officials ready to round up menacing tegu lizards (video) | Tampa Bay Times

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ideally, that's a fantastic idea.

Realistically, though, I doubt people will have the funds to set up courses. Even if they did, I'm not sure people would be willing to pay to take said courses. The funds would need to come from somewhere. People can always go to a petstore or craigslist instead of adopting. There's only so much you can do to regulate things like that. It's a good idea, I just doubt enough people would consistently be on board or have the resources to really invest in such a change in the adoption process.

Perhaps the humane society, etc, could include some brochures/online tutorials for general pet care, & perhaps some specific troubleshooting pamphlets for specific pets being adopted out. That wouldn't cost much to produce, but you can't guarantee adopting owners would actually utilize the materials.

..that's all I got. :shrug:

ok but with driving if you get enough tickets you have to go to traffic school and other things so why not the same idea? and yes it would cost more upfront but there is the high possibility of less pets being abandoned.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ok but with driving if you get enough tickets you have to go to traffic school and other things so why not the same idea? and yes it would cost more upfront but there is the high possibility of less pets being abandoned.

Yeah, it'd reduce the risk of abandonment, but, eh.. call me cynical. I don't think people are willing to put up money, time, & effort to make such a change in the adoption process, that's all. It's a great idea, I just don't know how easily such an idea would be put into practice. The funding has to come from somewhere. And with the funding, the will to invest. I just don't have that kind of faith in people to give a damn enough, honestly. Not consistently, anyway.

Still worth a shot to try, toss it out into the void and see what comes of it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, it'd reduce the risk of abandonment, but, eh.. call me cynical. I don't think people are willing to put up money, time, & effort to make such a change in the adoption process, that's all. It's a great idea, I just don't know how easily such an idea would be put into practice. The funding has to come from somewhere. And with the funding, the will to invest. I just don't have that kind of faith in people to give a damn enough, honestly. Not consistently, anyway.

Still worth a shot to try, toss it out into the void and see what comes of it.

every political or social change happens from some crazy person ranting til people realize the crazy person is actually right and more people join the movement. I don't think it happen in our life time tbh.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
every political or social change happens from some crazy person ranting til people realize the crazy person is actually right and more people join the movement. I don't think it happen in our life time tbh.

I think it could.. but it'll take some time.

:thinking: Perhaps with online social networking, the movement may spread faster than I'm imagining. Who knows?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think it could.. but it'll take some time.

:thinking: Perhaps with online social networking, the movement may spread faster than I'm imagining. Who knows?

I just made a post on tumblr and tweeted it to the humane society.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
yes I really like the military thing. Do you think I should present this idea to the humane society? this idea actually came about when someone on facebook posted an article about tegu lizards being adopted and released in florida and the problem is they're an invasive species. But if we can start with dogs and cats either way it's a problem that needs to be adressed (not just lizards but all animals) Wildlife officials ready to round up menacing tegu lizards (video) | Tampa Bay Times

I think for sure it is an idea you should submit. It never hurts to suggest things.

If you were looking at getting more involved in this yourself, I could give you a ton of suggestions that would help.