• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is there another way to grate a bunch of carrots

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
other than by hand or a food processor? I don't want to get a food processor with that capability because I have a nice one at my mom's house, and the cheapeast i can find that allows you to grate is 30 and fuck grating a ton of carrots by hand. I probably will spend the 30, but it seems like a waste if i can go another route

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, get a ton of friends to come over and grate them all by hand.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Maybe one of you two could invent a large carrot grater.
I envisioned a drum & cover with an exterior center shaft to spin a top cover that has lots of grating holes & I wondered how hard could it be to fabricate such a simple device?

You might have a machine shop dimple a lot of grating holes into a heavy gauge sheet of stainless metal.
Then cut two round sections for a base & a top cover (top = 1/4" smaller diameter than the base), & a length to mig weld around the base. Mig weld a center shaft to the grated cover to enable spinning it with a battery powered drill (unless you've a multi-speed drill press in your garage) & grate to your hearts content.

gromit

likes this
Maybe one of you two could invent a large carrot grater.
I envisioned a drum & cover with an exterior center shaft to spin a top cover that has lots of grating holes & I wondered how hard could it be to fabricate such a simple device?

You might have a machine shop dimple a lot of grating holes into a sheet of heavy gauge metal.
Then cut two round sections from the sheet metal, one base & the other a top cover ( top = 1/4" smaller diameter than the base). Mig a center shaft to the grated cover to enable spinning it with a battery powered drill (unless you've a multi-speed drill press in your garage) & grate to your hearts content.

Kind of like a parmesan grater?

39008u_380.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you have auxiliary Ne. I'm sure it will lead you to some creative solution.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Kind of like a parmesan grater?

39008u_380.jpg

Yea that'll work, but how many carrots could you fit in there? You'd need a hopper type thingamadoodle to feed the carrots into your Parmesan grater.
I had envisioned a drum of approximately 8" diameter & 6" in height, having a guide shaft that the perforated cover could be rotated around.

Last edited:

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
other than by hand or a food processor? I don't want to get a food processor with that capability because I have a nice one at my mom's house, and the cheapeast i can find that allows you to grate is 30 and fuck grating a ton of carrots by hand. I probably will spend the 30, but it seems like a waste if i can go another route

Well there you go; where a need exists Spock has deduced that your auxiliary Ne will find a way LOL.
Think of the satisfaction you'd get from fabricating your own grating appliance.
How hard could it possibly be?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How many carrots do you have to grate? I can go through quite a few with a hand grater. I have also used an ordinary blender. Kitchenaid mixers have an attachment that does this, but it is more expensive than the food processor, requires a kitchenaid mixer, and is a pain in the neck to clean.

p6926649.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would buy some bags of pre-shredded carrots.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How many carrots do you have to grate? I can go through quite a few with a hand grater. I have also used an ordinary blender. Kitchenaid mixers have an attachment that does this, but it is more expensive than the food processor, requires a kitchenaid mixer, and is a pain in the neck to clean.

p6926649.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Vietnamese coworker once taught me how to make spring rolls. She would carefully slice (with a knife) carrots into tiny strips, then slice cucumbers into paper thin slices. She was amazed when I pulled out a hand grater for the carrots, and a vegetable peeler for the cucumber. So much faster, after all these years.

Sometimes you don't need to invent a new gadget, just a new use for an old gadget.

6? All this for 6 carrots??? You have probably spent more time discussing it on the forum now than it would take to do them with a hand grater. (Just tuck your fingertips under so you don't get any flesh or nail into the shredded carrots.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
A Vietnamese coworker once taught me how to make spring rolls. She would carefully slice (with a knife) carrots into tiny strips, then slice cucumbers into paper thin slices. She was amazed when I pulled out a hand grater for the carrots, and a vegetable peeler for the cucumber. So much faster, after all these years.

Sometimes you don't need to invent a new gadget, just a new use for an old gadget.

6? All this for 6 carrots??? You have probably spent more time discussing it on the forum now than it would take to do them with a hand grater. (Just tuck your fingertips under so you don't get any flesh or nail into the shredded carrots.)
I don't even have the carrots. and 6 carrots is a lot. I'm not grating 6 carrots by hands. I'm american! I'm trying to be patriotic!

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
wwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaat?
I am officially not lazy.

Sent from my SK17i using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I thought it likely that you worked in the food industry, maybe you had to grate a ton of carrots as an ingredient in coleslaw or carrot cakes but now it appears you're discussing hypothetical carrots.:doh:
Unless you're physically handicapped, you ought to be capable of grating 6 carrots by hand within ten minutes.(insert "suck it up" emoticon here)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Hold two carrots at a time, then it will feel like you're only grating three carrots. In fact, the length of time typing this post is two carrots grated, right there.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I was thinking grater with a wheel, like the parm grater. I think you're gonna be okay if it's only 6 carrots, though, unless you typo'd and it's 60, in which case what in the world are you doing with 60 carrots?

I

Infinite Bubble

Lol!

Just do it [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], ordinary grater in hand, it won't take long.