• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So I got a free end table

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
But it needs to be fixed up, the leg needs to be fixed. And refinished/repainted any pointers? I am not handy and just gonna do a solid color I like the color it is now. My painting skills are the same as a five year old's with tourette's and on acid.

I don't think that's going to be its permanent place btw

Pinker85

Do you want it to be spiffy and new looking? What are you aiming for? It'd be awfully cute in a whitewash and antiqued, maybe do some crackling finish. Or if you want something really wild and weird turn it into the butt of an animal, you can use the leg closest towards you as a tail and add some hair right at the bottom to make it more realistic. Or you could do the legs in a pretty checkerboard in purple and white with detail of green (might take a while) and the top fringe in blue, like a medium-dark pastel tone (slight bit of gray) and the top part in white accented with three half circles with to them extending from the edge inward (circle side towards center) outlined in same color and fringe and filled in slightly with larger checkerboard similar to the legs. But if your painting skills aren't that great and you want something kinda weird ... try using cement spackle over the whole thing so it looks like its made of concrete.

Pinker85

Or how about fur? You can buy fur at the fabric store, you could turn the thing into a huge muppet table.

Pinker85

Or you could turn it into a nightlight! Just cover the outside legs in fabric and fill the inside with something you'd want reflected as a shadow outside, you can leave the area facing the wall open so you can change things out ... you can buy all different color light bulbs at the store. Use a lamp base from a garage sale or one you already have.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Not that I don't want anything complicated I'm not trying to express my inner soul I just want a table to put a glass and a lamp on

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sand it before you paint or finish, but you probably already knew that. What kind of wood is that? I would guess a medium or fine grain sandpaper should do the trick.

That table would look good in a natural finish.

You gonna go for a shabby chic look or are you trying to make it look brand new?

If it were me, I'd probably go with something dark--either black gloss or maybe a very dark brown (think mocha or dark chocolate), just based on its surroundings.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sand it before you paint or finish, but you probably already knew that. What kind of wood is that? I would guess a medium or fine grain sandpaper should do the trick.

That table would look good in a natural finish.

You gonna go for a shabby chic look or are you trying to make it look brand new?

No clue the wood. I know nothing about wood. I like antique type look. But nice antique

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No clue the wood. I know nothing about wood. I like antique type look. But nice antique

Then I would lightly sand it, then use a nice stain finish. Perhaps a red stain or whatever tint you prefer. I just see a lot of antique furniture with that reddish stain, that's why I suggested it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Then I would lightly sand it, then use a nice stain finish. Perhaps a red stain or whatever tint you prefer. I just see a lot of antique furniture with that reddish stain, that's why I suggested it.

I know what you're talking about, and that's what I love

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Lead Paint on Antique Furniture

"The danger lies in ingesting paint chips and inhaling paint dust, not in touching, so chipping surfaces pose the greatest threat. Country Living columnist Helaine Fendelman, who raised two sons in a home filled with painted furniture from the 18th and 19th centuries, reports that the very old pieces most likely do not contain lead. The bigger worry is furniture from the early- to mid-20th century."

I wouldn't sand it indoors without knowing whether or not it has lead paint, but then again I'm a type 6.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Lead Paint on Antique Furniture

"The danger lies in ingesting paint chips and inhaling paint dust, not in touching, so chipping surfaces pose the greatest threat. Country Living columnist Helaine Fendelman, who raised two sons in a home filled with painted furniture from the 18th and 19th centuries, reports that the very old pieces most likely do not contain lead. The bigger worry is furniture from the early- to mid-20th century."

I wouldn't sand it indoors without knowing whether or not it has lead paint, but then again I'm a type 6.

Who said anything about me doing this indoors? I have a backyard for this.