• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommend a dishwasher

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
It's time to buy a new dishwasher. I want a low to mid range model which gets the job done effectively. Lower noise is nice, but not required. A few years ago in a different house, I had a Bosch which worked acceptably. Any recommendations?

It appears that Bosch and Whirlpool are the top brands for reliability and overall satisfaction. Any insights or experiences which would indicate choosing one over the other, or a brand other than these two?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I grew up always having to be the one stuck doing the dishes so I'm a bit familiar as to loud/quiet, etc. The one in this apartment is great compared to the ones my mom always had (Whirlpool). It's a Frigidaire. Quietest one I've used, has a lot of energy saving options/dries fast.
Can't find the exact model, but this one is a close match (there are rebates available, too, always a plus). Only thing with it I'd warn about is that you have to push it hard to fully close it (seems closed completely when it isn't)- gotta push til it *clicks* - but that's pretty straightforward/a nonissue, really.

http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Dishwashers/Dishwashers/FFBD2411NS/

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that's a viable option for you.

No wonder my dishes are piling up.

But we're not talking about me, now are we?

And [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], always remember to feed your quiet and efficient dishwasher a detergent that leaves a finish that goes...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No wonder my dishes are piling up.

But we're not talking about me, now are we?

And [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], always remember to feed your quiet and efficient dishwasher a detergent that leaves a finish that goes...

Actually I use a low phosphate one that sucks. Because I hate sparkles. That much.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Runner Up - Maytag MDB4709PAB

For less than $500, you can't do better than the Maytag MDB4709PAB. It's got straightforward front-facing controls, sensor-based cycles that automatically adjust to how dirty your dishes are, and a sanitizing steam cycle. It lacks cutting-edge style and a customizable interior, but it cleans dishes exceptionally well. If you're on a budget, it's a great choice. (MSRP $499)

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/2013-best-of-year-dishwasher-awards

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
:laugh:

Yeah, that's not going to be very popular unless maybe someone develops a "Dishwashing by Hand" app.

I grew up always having to be the one stuck doing the dishes so I'm a bit familiar as to loud/quiet, etc. The one in this apartment is great compared to the ones my mom always had (Whirlpool). It's a Frigidaire. Quietest one I've used, has a lot of energy saving options/dries fast.
Can't find the exact model, but this one is a close match (there are rebates available, too, always a plus). Only thing with it I'd warn about is that you have to push it hard to fully close it (seems closed completely when it isn't)- gotta push til it *clicks* - but that's pretty straightforward/a nonissue, really.

http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Dishwashers/Dishwashers/FFBD2411NS/
Thanks! I'll look into that one or a similar one more.

Thanks, looks like a useful site!

Runner Up - Maytag MDB4709PAB

For less than $500, you can't do better than the Maytag MDB4709PAB. It's got straightforward front-facing controls, sensor-based cycles that automatically adjust to how dirty your dishes are, and a sanitizing steam cycle. It lacks cutting-edge style and a customizable interior, but it cleans dishes exceptionally well. If you're on a budget, it's a great choice. (MSRP $499)

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/2013-best-of-year-dishwasher-awards
That looks nice! One thing that makes me hesitant is that Maytag's dishwasher reliability rating isn't as good as Bosch and Whirlpool.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or how about saving on your water bill by using Styrofoam plates?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
insert sexist joke here
That's already been done above. ;)

Or how about saving on your water bill by using Styrofoam plates?
Nah, styrofoam is environmentally evil. Paper would be an ok choice, but then there are other dishes and pans which would need washed.

And then there's that big gap under the counter which would need filled. :laugh:

I've purchased the Bosch Ascenta (model SHE3AR56UC) just because it's essentially the same as what I had in the previous house, and it seemed fine.

And I need to leave now to pick it up before the store clos...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's already been done above. ;)

Nah, styrofoam is environmentally evil. Paper would be an ok choice, but then there are other dishes and pans which would need washed.

And then there's that big gap under the counter which would need filled. :laugh:

I've purchased the Bosch Ascenta (model SHE3AR56UC) just because it's essentially the same as what I had in the previous house, and it seemed fine.

And I need to leave now to pick it up before the store clos...

What an ingenious idea. Paper pots and pans! :devil:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That looks nice! One thing that makes me hesitant is that Maytag's dishwasher reliability rating isn't as good as Bosch and Whirlpool.

I agree, we have Whirlpool (because I like to support locally made stuff) but there was a Maytag here when we bought the house. It ran very well for 5+ years and wasn't new. For $500, I'd give it a go.

F

FigerPuppet

generic-woman.png

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just want something that is quiet.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
The Bosch is very quiet, considering it's a lower-end model in their product line.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, we have Whirlpool (because I like to support locally made stuff) but there was a Maytag here when we bought the house. It ran very well for 5+ years and wasn't new. For $500, I'd give it a go.

I suppose when whirlpool was still American. But Korean company owns it now, if I am not mistaken.