• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To Small Dog Haters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever tried feeding them mussels? I like to buy them from the store. I think they're actually still alive because you can sometimes notice that the shells open and close. I guess they have to be able to survive out of water for when the tide goes down. I guess they die when you steam/boil them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That's the one annoying thing about my little dog. I've always had mutts before and they can eat anything. I spill something on the floor, the dog licks it up. Everybody's happy. Not this guy. He even looks at something that isn't his normal food and try as he might he can't make it outside in time.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
That's the one annoying thing about my little dog. I've always had mutts before and they can eat anything. I spill something on the floor, the dog licks it up. Everybody's happy. Not this guy. He even looks at something that isn't his normal food and try as he might he can't make it outside in time.

Yea I would want to find a dog that's at least as low maintenance as I am.

I'm happy playing with dogs, and taking em for walks, but I won't baby or pamper them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yea I would want to find a dog that's at least as low maintenance as I am.

I'm happy playing with dogs, and taking em for walks, but I won't baby or pamper them.
It just means I buy him Iams instead of Purina at the feed store and keep him away from spills while the other dog cleans them up. Not a huge deal for us.

W

WhoCares

Back to dog psychology. I have a particular hatred of people who buy working breeds them give them the task of being a lawn ornament. When that doesn't work out it's the dog that ends up on the end of the green dream for failing to completely change its nature according to human whim. Breeds I am thinking of right now that end up as backyard lawn ornaments and are often dumped for 'bad behaviour'...

Huskies
Samoyeds
Australian cattle dogs
Border collies
Jack Russels

I'm sure there are others as well. But I always think its the person that should get the lethal injection for failing to grow a neuron and realise a dog bred for work needs work or it will go insane and act out.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Back to dog psychology. I have a particular hatred of people who buy working breeds them give them the task of being a lawn ornament. When that doesn't work out it's the dog that ends up on the end of the green dream for failing to completely change its nature according to human whim. Breeds I am thinking of right now that end up as backyard lawn ornaments and are often dumped for 'bad behaviour'...

Huskies
Samoyeds
Australian cattle dogs
Border collies
Jack Russels

I'm sure there are others as well. But I always think its the person that should get the lethal injection for failing to grow a neuron and realise a dog bred for work needs work or it will go insane and act out.

Our Jacks had a big, big yard with critters to chase. They seemed happy as could be.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Our border collie is always ready for just about anything and after, she'll ask "What's next?"

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you hate the small dog breeds?

I never knew anybody could be choosy over dog sizes until I was an adult. My first experience of this was with a postman, probably an ISTP. We brought our cockapoo over to his house (he was a relative), the dog jumped up on his lap, and he immediately pushed it off with an expression of disgust. Then he smiled politely and explained himself saying that, as a postman, he hates yappy little dogs.

But it wasn't a yappy dog, this cockapoo was relatively quiet compared to yappy dogs.

In another case, an ISTJ veterinarian took my $250 lahsa-poo puppy, choked it up against the side of his pickup and growled in its face.

Lhasa-Poo-1245206257.jpg

He stated that this was a technique he learned from Cesar Millan, and that it was designed to teach the puppy who is boss.

At first I thought, ok, he's an eduated veterinarian thinking he was doing a good deed, although the puppy was scared of me (for some reason) for the next two days. Furthermore, this puppy didn't have any discipline problems whatsoever. The lhasa-poo breed is totally amazing in its intelligence, polity, and laid-back yet playful nature.

Since I worked with this veterinarian a few hours a week, I slowly learned that he believe his cattle dog was superior to my non-working breed, and all my efforts to convince him that dogs are just different, intended to meet different needs for humans, were met with little more than contemptuous smirks.

Why be such a Nazi over dog breeds?

that's your doggie? omg it's cute! lhassa-poo??? i think i want.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Small dogs usually have some degree of terrier in them, so that makes them kind of yappy and obnoxious by nature. People tend to neglect their training because they are small and usually can't do much harm, even if they are ill mannered. Still, it's almost impossible to get a terrier to be quiet. It's instinctive for them to raise a ruckus when strangers (or critters) are running amuck - in other words, anywhere nearby. Difficult to get them to suppress this behavior. OTOH, it is NOT hard to train a small dog not to growl or snap at people. That's just bad ownership. As well, these dogs need to be indoors when not supervised. Since they're small it should be easy to do. Failure to do so = bad ownership again.

Working breeds are bred to listen to you, so training them is as easy as falling off a rock. Terrier breeds, not so much. Anyways, I like small (but not so small as to be toy) dogs. It would be nice to have a mini-lab type of breed though. So 20-25 lbs of sweet mellow obedience. No such thing that I know of. Corgis and Shelties are pretty well mannered small dogs though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, ours was oranger as a puppy. Same look though.

i wanna see pics!! i'm sorry that guy was such an ass. i probably would've freaked out a bit.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Huskies
Samoyeds
Australian cattle dogs
Border collies
Jack Russels

I remember reading a while ago on an Aussie rescue page, #1 rule to getting an Aussie? Don't get an Aussie!

My Aussie was so different from the greyhound we had until she seemed like a different species. She was a busy, active and often trouble-making pup from day one. I finally spent an insane amount of money to take classes from an ex-canine cop to train us, not her. It was really worth it. I love my dog but they do require a bit of work in order not to be a menace...some more than others.

I read this on small dogs last week:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...mall-dogs-have-so-many-psychological-problems

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i wanna see pics!! i'm sorry that guy was such an ass. i probably would've freaked out a bit.

I'll see if any pics still survive.

I've emailed the guy about his belief in that method, whatever it's called, and he's standing by it. But when I asked him if he's actually resorted to it, I got no answer back.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:cry:

Be kind to fluffy things, people.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll see if any pics still survive.

I've emailed the guy about his belief in that method, whatever it's called, and he's standing by it. But when I asked him if he's actually resorted to it, I got no answer back.

it's incredibly repulsive to me and i'm pretty sure i would've had to tell him that. just yuck. sweet lil fluffy baby dog.

W

WhoCares

My Aussie was so different from the greyhound we had until she seemed like a different species. She was a busy, active and often trouble-making pup from day one. I finally spent an insane amount of money to take classes from an ex-canine cop to train us, not her. It was really worth it. I love my dog but they do require a bit of work in order not to be a menace...some more than others.

I lolled here. You could not get two polar opposite dogs if you tried. The docile (and frequently not energetic) greyhound and the hyperstimulated cattle dog. I get the charm of the cattle dogs, they are really intelligent and look classically 'mans dog' but they need regular work to do. When left in a yard they get aggressive and territorial because they have nothing to focus on. Its a dog that really wants a job to feel right.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Chihuahua's are never ok.

I would never have one.

We had a Newfie about 10 years ago. This is probably why I got turned off of having a dog, they, Newfies are physically such high maintenance. They MUST have a job. Must. They get so down and sad, it's hard to watch. This is one reason we live on a lake. Summer, winter, it didn't matter. He was near that water even if the lake was frozen. He pulled the kids on their sleds, went out when they were skating or playing hockey. Summer, he was in his glory. My oldest got stuck out on a jet ski when it stalled in the middle of the lake one day. Jack was on it before I could even get the boat started and he towed him and the jet ski right back to shore. I don't think all dogs should have human names but Jack was definitely a Jack.