• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daily schedules/routines?

alicia91

I'm always impressed with those people who are able to be disciplined enough to follow routines and schedules. Additonally, I think that I'd have more free time (freedom!) without guilt, if I could actually manage to have one. But it's just not my nature I guess. I love designing a routine --6:00 wakeup, 7:00 workout, 9:00-1:00 work on my business, etc. but after a week or so I feel too contrained and rebel. On other boards that I'm on, many ladies swear by the Flylady system and I signed up for it but cancelled after two days because I just couldn't take it.

THe only thing that works for me is to incorporate one little thing at a time - usually tacked on to something else I'm already doing and eventually it just becomes a natural habit. For example - while my morning coffee is brewing I force myself to unload the dishwasher.

But I wouldn't necessarily call myself unorganized - at the end of the day I've usually done what I've needed to do. It just wasn't done in a systematic sort of way.

You?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
About the same as you. Sometimes I seek out external things that give some structure to my day because with no structure I feel at loose ends and as a J, I don't like that feeling.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Don't we already have one of these threads?

/too lazy to go look.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I also make a schedule for what needs to be done, then I fail to actually follow it. It's like I'm going to do this by this time so I can go to bed at a reasonable hour, yet I'm always up late working and up early finishing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need routines, schedules, and plans. I can't be spontaneous. I need to know what I'm getting into.

Keep in mind, though, routines, schedules, and plans are not synonymous with being hardworking and inclined for follow-through. It just means you like to be in control of the external world.

alicia91

In my case, as an ISTP - I'm definately a 'chart-the-course' style person. I like to have some kind of plan or vision where I'm headed whether just short term for the day or in general. However, at the same time I need freedom to manuever. And I keep thinking 'if I was more organized and efficient about doing the crappy jobs then I'd have more time for the fun stuff and more freedom.' I can't even stand to have appointments late in the day or my day feels 'ruined' and I hate having it hanging over my head all day long.

It's a constant struggle.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I really admire people that can do whatever they feel like doing. I really have to go by a schedule, it doesn't have to be the same everyday. I can change as needed. Nonetheless, the only times I remember not scheduling at all, is when ex girlfriends forced me.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
We were just talking about this at work today.

Making schedules (or to-do lists) just ends up depressing me, because I end up not getting most of what I planned done, so it becomes something to get stressed out about or beat myself up over. I have been much happier since I stopped trying to do that. People were always telling me to do it, and I did because I thought the problem was that I just wasn't trying hard enough to be disciplined. But I learned that some people, including me, function much better when we can go with the flow, and actually can accomplish a lot more when we don't try to stick to strict schedules that stress us out and make things too pressured.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
In my case, as an ISTP - I'm definately a 'chart-the-course' style person. I like to have some kind of plan or vision where I'm headed whether just short term for the day or in general. However, at the same time I need freedom to manuever. And I keep thinking 'if I was more organized and efficient about doing the crappy jobs then I'd have more time for the fun stuff and more freedom.' I can't even stand to have appointments late in the day or my day feels 'ruined' and I hate having it hanging over my head all day long.

It's a constant struggle.

that's like me, I don't know why but I never listen to my own advice. It's like I need to do this now it's midnight I sat down to do to do this paper at noon, and I haven't started yet. Now I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner, btw I have two paragraphs written. I'm going to be up all night and might be able to take a nap before class. This is why coffee was invented. though I miss read appointments late in the day as "appointments late" I hate being late, I don't know why but I can't stand being late it causes so much anxiety. Even if it's just meeting friends I have to be early then when they're late that causes more anxiety cuz I'm like did they tell me the right time?

but when I follow a schedule I feel suffocated, it's like I need to make a schedule or I will do nothing but then I can't follow then I feel bad for making a schedule and ignoring it, but I can not follow it either.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I try to keep a really loose schedule, prioritizing tasks... I can schedule in a dozen things to do in a day, but I usually only have 1 or 2 things that MUST be done, 1 or 2 things that SHOULD be done but aren't going to be a problem if they're not completed, and then the rest is stuff I'd like to get done but it's not important. It allows for a lot of procrastination. :cheese:

I pretty much keep the same sort of weekly routine going this way, but I still have plenty of time for spontaneous activities, and I am able switch the activities around a lot depending on what things come up during the week.