• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating Paleo

baccheion

Mammals weren't made to consume milk for long periods and naturally stop producing lactase after a certain age.

Humans weren't meant to consume processed milk. Raw cow's milk, for example, contains all that's needed to digest itself (remember, infants can't really handle anything), but these things are killed/denatured/removed during processing. Some people drink raw cow's milk, but it can be very unsafe. I've tried it and it's delicious, and it's something you can consume even if you are lactose intolerant. It's a funny world we live in.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Humans weren't meant to consume processed milk. Raw cow's milk, for example, contains all that's needed to digest itself (remember, infants can't really handle anything), but these things are killed/denatured/removed during processing. Some people drink raw cow's milk, but it can be very unsafe. I've tried it and it's delicious, and it's something you can consume even if you are lactose intolerant. It's a funny world we live in.

No mammal was made to consume milk past weaning. Raw cow's milk has lactase in it? I don't think so and without it, the bacteria in one's gut is going to have a party with all the undigested lactose which equals a problem. Easily bypass this by drinking keffir or eating yogurt.

And I think milk is nasty.

baccheion

No mammal was made to consume milk past weaning. Raw cow's milk has lactase in it? I don't think so and without it, the bacteria in one's gut is going to have a party with all the undigested lactose which equals a problem. Easily bypass this by drinking keffir or eating yogurt.

And I think milk is nasty.

http://www.realmilk.com/safety/safety-of-raw-milk/ ::

"One reason raw milk is so much easier to digest compared to pasteurized milk is due to the presence of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar and which many humans are unable to produce. The experts I have spoken with deny the presence of lactase in raw milk; however, it is the friendly bacteria in raw milk that facilitate the creation of lactase in the intestine where it is needed. That is why lactose-intolerant people can drink raw milk without a problem. Pasteurization kills these friendly bacteria."

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.realmilk.com/safety/safety-of-raw-milk/ ::

"One reason raw milk is so much easier to digest compared to pasteurized milk is due to the presence of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar and which many humans are unable to produce. The experts I have spoken with deny the presence of lactase in raw milk; however, it is the friendly bacteria in raw milk that facilitate the creation of lactase in the intestine where it is needed. That is why lactose-intolerant people can drink raw milk without a problem. Pasteurization kills these friendly bacteria."

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm247991.htm

It seems we're at an impasse. But hey, if you want to go raw, then dowhatchulike! I've had raw milk as a child...and it makes me just as sick as anything out of the grocery store. No thanks.

baccheion

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm247991.htm

It seems we're at an impasse. But hey, if you want to go raw, then dowhatchulike! I've had raw milk as a child...and it makes me just as sick as anything out of the grocery store. No thanks.

I don't want to "go raw" as it's unsafe for a number of reasons, but it's important to make the point that milk carries everything with it that's needed for digestion. The government claims to raw milk not containing this or that has long been debunked, and it's long been known that they aren't the most reliable source of information regarding these topics.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't want to "go raw" as it's unsafe for a number of reasons, but it's important to make the point that milk carries everything with it that's needed for digestion. The government claims to raw milk not containing this or that has long been debunked, and it's long been known that they aren't the most reliable source of information regarding these topics.

Holy La Leche! Hahaha...this made me laugh. Arguing for this and you won't even drink it! I'm pretty sure some of those pushing raw milk have an agenda beyond "truth" to prove, too.

And if raw milk has everything it needs, then babies that have inborn errors of carbohydrate metabolism wouldn't be in danger by breastfeeding. My milk never had that stuff...I must have done something wrong. Unless cows are wielding some kind of awesome, bovine magic. Vats of milk in the moonlight and all, yes? Really milking this for all it's worth here!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I miss being able to drink milk.

two cents

MBTI Type
INFJ
I definitely don't want to lose weight, if anything I prefer to gain weight. I just like this idea of eating "clean".

Well, if you don't want to lose weight (to the point of wanting to gain it), eating paleo (or arbitrarily restricting the foods you "can" eat) is a bad idea: the less food you consider available and fit for consumption, the more you will end up having to skip meals when out and about, and that usually causes your overall calorie consumption and weight to decrease.

Also, what exactly is "unclean" about grains, any more than any other food?

If you want to go back to eating what your "ancestors" did, you'll be down to the only foods available to paleolithic European nomads (I'm assuming you are white). So, in addition to grains and corn, you'll also need to forget about tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, most spices, peanuts and a great deal of fruits (not a complete list, just some examples). And if you are really striving for authenticity, then you can't eat ANY fruits or vegetables from the grocery store, because they have all been cultivated AFTER humans settled and learned agriculture, and have little resemblance in terms of nutritional value to the wild plants that hunters and gatherers might have chanced upon. Similarly, the meat will come from domesticated animals, which have been bred and raised to be much fatter than their wild counterparts. So, really, even assuming that the point of a "paleo" diet isn't rooted in a naturalistic fallacy (which it totally is), any attempt at consistently following the principles it sets out will basically necessitate that you become a modern-day hunter-gatherer in Europe or, possibly Africa, depending on how far back you want to go, and, well, assuming you can logistically pull it off, good luck not outright starving.

Eggs should be fair game though: I doubt any gatherer ever passed up a chance to raid a nest they chanced on, after all, starvation is the mother of not being picky about where you get your food :)

baccheion

Holy La Leche! Hahaha...this made me laugh. Arguing for this and you won't even drink it! I'm pretty sure some of those pushing raw milk have an agenda beyond "truth" to prove, too.

And if raw milk has everything it needs, then babies that have inborn errors of carbohydrate metabolism wouldn't be in danger by breastfeeding. My milk never had that stuff...I must have done something wrong. Unless cows are wielding some kind of awesome, bovine magic. Vats of milk in the moonlight and all, yes? Really milking this for all it's worth here!

What the hell are you saying? My point was clear: cow's milk, in it's original unprocessed form, is easy on the system; it's cow's milk that has been processed that causes problems. That said, cow's milk in it's original forms tends to be unsafe for other reasons. You are introducing sorts of tangential points, so if you can't grasp what I'm saying, then good luck to you. Either way, I'm done with this pointless back and forth.