• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you keep birds from flying into windows?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Birds keep flying into the window over my desk sometimes stunning themselves. The window is plenty dirty so you'd think they would see it's a window, but they either don't or they think their reflection is a rival or something. Is there something I can put on it so they will stop? We have a cat lady who lives on that side of our house, so it's really not safe for a bird to be lying on the ground immobilized for 10 minutes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Open them, silly.

... is there some way you can deaden the reflection or even put some sort of translucent image on the glass (they sell those now, to pretty up a window, those soft see-thru plasticky things?) to make it look different?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Helpful as always. :tongue10:

Edit: Ah, like vinyl clings? Not a bad idea.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My friends use those cling-film cut-outs that are bird shaped on their picture window. Birds kept smacking into it, and the cling film shapes seem to work well.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I say let it happen, and give the cats a tasty treat :D Natural selection aye?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Take a picture of one of the cat lady's cats, cut it out, and put it in the window staring out. Worked like a charm on our picture windows when I was growing up.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Take a picture of one of the cat lady's cats, cut it out, and put it in the window staring out. Worked like a charm on our picture windows when I was growing up.
Entertaining! I like.

alicia91

Aw, poor birdies! Apparently they can't see the reflection from glass.

Try hanging something that flutters in front of or near the window such as a wind chime. This will scare them and keep them from flying towards the window. Hanging plants can sometimes work also.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
A larger brown or black bird silhouette decal on the window will cause them to avoid the "predatory-looking bird."

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A larger brown or black bird silhouette decal on the window will cause them to avoid the "predatory-looking bird."

+1

Just make sure that it's on the OUTSIDE of the window.
I wondered why mine wasn't working.....then I figured it out :doh:

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol. i would (as im sure you do) feel bad about such a thing but find it HIGHLY entertaining at the same time. maybe a screen of some sort would help, or at least slow down the bird.

EDIT:

or hang crystal prisms, its reflective and will deter birds

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol. i would (as im sure you do) feel bad about such a thing but find it HIGHLY entertaining at the same time. maybe a screen of some sort would help, or at least slow down the bird.

No LOLling from me, or entertainment value I assure you - I hope it didn't look that way. In fact, there was quite a lot of this sort of thing :cry:
I'm a big girly that way.

That's the problem once you get a rep as a jackass.

Those silhouettes do work though! Get some!

Also, for bird-lovering cat owners, get your cat a catbib - 90% reduction in bird fatalities. They are the ONLY effective deterrent, in my experience, and I've tried everything else.
I would post the link but I think that constitutes spamming.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
set up a video camera inside...

did i say video camera? i meant bird feeder :dry:

...inside.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
We have a cat lady who lives on that side of our house, so it's really not safe for a bird to be lying on the ground immobilized for 10 minutes.

Why not? I say let nature take its course. the birdies who can figure out not to fly into your windows survive and reproduce. The rest get eaten. Everybody wins.

edit: shoot. Spirilis already wrote what I thought, yet again.
I say let it happen, and give the cats a tasty treat :D Natural selection aye?
+1

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Place over the window something that resembles a large spiderweb. Birds dislike getting tangled up in those. It might look ugly on the window, but it works.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not? I say let nature take its course. the birdies who can figure out not to fly into your windows survive and reproduce. The rest get eaten. Everybody wins.

edit: shoot. Spirilis already wrote what I thought, yet again.

+1

There is a problem with that argument: domesticated cats are not a part of the natural order. Take a trip to Australasia and see how the flora and fauna has been devastated by the introduction of rats, cats and other non-native predators and you might change your mind....