• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff posts some more water-photography. Enjoy!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really love the second one. That is just gorgeous. The fourth one too.

I'm in no position to 'critique' any of it though from a technical perspective, as obviously you know a lot more about that than I!! They look good to me!

One thing I've thought about though regarding water shots in particular is that a lot of it seems to be subjective, no?? In terms of whether the audience likes it a lot. For example, the first one is probably exactly what you wanted, and intended, to capture -- the water movement and the effect. However, another photographer might have wanted to capture the water quite differently -- crisper, or more blurred (so..shutter speed? Ha. I'm such an amateur :blush:). So that's where photography becomes an art, and what is aesthetically perfect and exquisite to one person, might not capture a certain essence to another.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I really love the second one. That is just gorgeous. The fourth one too.

I'm in no position to 'critique' any of it though from a technical perspective, as obviously you know a lot more about that than I!!

One thing I've thought about though regarding water shots in particular is that a lot of it seems to be subjective, no?? In terms of whether the audience likes it a lot. For example, the first one is probably exactly what you wanted, and intended, to capture -- the water movement and the effect. However, another photographer might have wanted to capture the water quite differently -- crisper, or more blurred (so..shutter speed? Ha. I'm such an amateur :blush:). So that's where photography becomes an art, and what is aesthetically perfect and exquisite to one person, might not capture a certain essence to another.

Oh, yes, quite, quite subjective. Having said that, with water, it looks a bit odd, usually, if it is frozen in place by a fast shutter. From that morning at Mill Falls in the National Park I have about 20 pictures of which the first is the one *I* like best. I took some with a super fast shutter and it doesnt quite work. I took some with a very slow shutter and it came over a little too soft. Having said that, I had limited patience as I was a mosquito-takeout.

So, subjectively, I preferred a picture somewhere in the middle. Here's a couple for comparison though...

Sharper, freeze frame close up from the same spot, 1/1250 of a second.

2644292784_74651ee6c8_b.jpg

The second is a side stream that feeds the falls. This is a 2.5 second exposure

2643426339_4c2a887a77_b.jpg

So the second shot is about 3000 times longer :devil:

Anyway, as you say all of this is subjective!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I certainly like the first photo in your OP much better compared to the one you just posted of the same locale with the fast shutter speed -- but that said, I'm not sure it's an 'even' comparison -- since in the one you just posted, it was only a closeup of the water itself, without anything else to balance it out. It might have just been the composition itself of the first one that didn't speak to me as much. But yeah - 100% subjective.

But my goodness, the second shot in your last post is ethereal. I love it. I totally conjure up images of Middle Earth. :glasses:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I really like the middle one.

Thanks! It makes a good desktop :)

Well, I certainly like the first photo in your OP much better compared to the one you just posted of the same locale with the fast shutter speed -- but that said, I'm not sure it's an 'even' comparison -- since in the one you just posted, it was only a closeup of the water itself, without anything else to balance it out. It might have just been the composition itself of the first one that didn't speak to me as much. But yeah - 100% subjective.

But my goodness, the second shot in your last post is ethereal. I love it. I totally conjure up images of Middle Earth. :glasses:

The closeup works for me, because of the composition in abstract. I could see it as a large abstract, borderless, on canvas in an office. There are some corners that give it a frame from top right to bottom left. At least that's what I see!

The etherealness of water, taken slowly, is good, isnt it. Just imagine if I could find a little stream like that amongst bluebells or poppies. The elves would fair fly out of the photo :wubbie:

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Love your photos, Geoff. Truly an inspiration (to go and throw a lot of money on a better cam. I know, it's not all THAT expensive, but it'll still hurt a bit.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm sure this has been asked before but, are you a proffesional photographer, or just a hobby? either way I always love your photos. I know these are just for fun, but I mean did you go take classes or learn all this on your own?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sa-weet, they are too cool, particularly love the third one in your first post.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't see these until now. Cool.

I really like using your pics as a desktop, especially the waterfalls. Thanks for sharing. :yes:

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a cheap Canon digital SLR. The newest version of it is about $500 and it'd be better than what I have. OK, so there's a $1000 lens on it :D

Joking! You crack me up. My latest camera is a Sony DSC-H10. I'm satisfied with it. For now. >> It was the best I could afford at the time.

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So show us some of your work! *nudge*

Hmm. I'll have to start my own thread. I have thousands upon thousands of photos. Like I told you before. One of these days I'll get that Flickr account of mine under control. :rolleyes: I have a few posted in me blog kind Englishman. ^^
I have over 6,000 of Austria alone. Some pics for you Geoff