• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Substitute Scotch for Vanilla Extract in Baking - Yea or Nay?

gromit

likes this
I am not sure how it's gonna come out if I do it. I'm making zucchini bread with a huge-ass zucchini from my friend's garden. I've never made the substitution before, but I got 3/4 way into the recipe and realized there's no vanilla in the house.

Thoughts? Anyone been there/done that?

I suspect it could be awesome in the right recipe, but I'm just not convinced this would be it...

gromit

likes this
So, I chickened out, ended up using some lemon juice for a bit of oomph. The batter tastes fine/great, so I think it will be ok. I did do some googling and apparently whiskey is an excellent substitution for chocolate-based treats, so maybe I will try that next time I'm doing something chocolatey.

I don't know why I had to make an entire thread of this. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I tend to think of extracts as being pretty much optional and interchangeable. I often use almond extract instead of vanilla. I'd experiment with liquors/liqueurs if I had them around the house regularly.

gromit

likes this
I tend to think of extracts as being pretty much optional and interchangeable. I often use almond extract instead of vanilla. I'd experiment with liquors/liqueurs if I had them around the house regularly.

Except if you ever replace with peppermint, make sure to use waaaaay less than the amount of vanilla the recipe calls for ;)

<<<(may or may not have learned that the hard way)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
^haha yes

i didn't know this sort of thing was an option? hmm. (eyes whiskey and almond extract laying around)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not sure how it's gonna come out if I do it. I'm making zucchini bread with a huge-ass zucchini from my friend's garden. I've never made the substitution before, but I got 3/4 way into the recipe and realized there's no vanilla in the house.

Thoughts? Anyone been there/done that?
I've never used scotch, but routinely substitute brandy and occasionally rum. If the taste is fairly generic (e.g. not something like creme de menthe, or kahlua), it should work. Recipes usually only call for a tsp or two of these things anyway.

gromit

likes this
I've never used scotch, but routinely substitute brandy and occasionally rum. If the taste is fairly generic (e.g. not something like creme de menthe, or kahlua), it should work. Recipes usually only call for a tsp or two of these things anyway.

Yeah if I had either of those I would have been much more ok, especially the brandy. Ah well... :)

^haha yes

i didn't know this sort of thing was an option? hmm. (eyes whiskey and almond extract laying around)
I know, I am so excited to try making a whiskey-enhanced dessert now!