• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need Advice on Giving Subcutaneous Fluids to My Cat

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Calling some of those I know who might be able to help me: [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION] [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION]

This last bag of subcutaneous fluids has been getting a lot of air bubbles in the line when I store it for the next use. Is there a way to store the bag that will keep it from getting air bubbles?

Right now I have the bag on a hanger, hanging on a hook in a closet, with the line draped over the neck of the hanger so that it won't hit the ground. There is a blue pinch clamp, plus a roller clamp farther down the line from the pinch clamp. The air bubbles always are in the line after the roller clamp.

Also, should I be worried about the air bubbles forming in the line? Do they indicate a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no medical training where cats are concerned, but I don't think air getting under the skin is a big deal. If the needle went directly into the bloodstream, then obviously it'd be reason for concern- but I wouldn't be too worried about air bubbles getting in the line because it just goes under the skin. (I'd call the vet to make sure.)

As far as air getting in there in the first place, I really don't know. I don't remember having that problem. (Sorry.) As long as the bag is hanging while you're actually doing it though- I'd think that'd stop additional air from going through the line once you've started? Can you empty out the line before starting, to clear the line too?

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], I don't remember having this problem with previous bags. I've found if I flick the line, the air will move towards the needle and then I can open the clamp and it will empty out. Little doesn't like the feel of the air coming out once the needle under her skin, so I do try to empty the line of air beforehand. It's just a time-consuming pain to get the air to move--lots of flicking involved.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe just get a new bag? I've only had to do it for a week, and don't remember ever having this problem.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a little about giving IV fluids but that's it. The bag has to be higher up than the line. Once it's up there tap or flick the line with your fingers to work all the air bubbles up. Air wants to go up, fluid wants to go down. Stop the administration before the bag is empty.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks, everyone. I went to pick up a new bag of fluids and asked the tech at the vet's. She said I need to hang the line lower than the bag while it's being stored.