• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gluten Free Cooking and Baking

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been collecting and adapting recipes for quite some time now and I thought I might make a blog out of it. I've been putting my stuff on Pinterest for the most part, but I can make it a regular thing here too if anyone would like gluten-free recipes.

So -- anyone interested?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been collecting and adapting recipes for quite some time now and I thought I might make a blog out of it. I've been putting my stuff on Pinterest for the most part, but I can make it a regular thing here too if anyone would like gluten-free recipes.

So -- anyone interested?

My INTP friend IRL doesn't consume gluten & is always looking for new ways to cook.. you should definitely post them.. her results tend to be hit-or-miss, haha.

Others may have things to add in the future, or new members may come along who also have gluten intolerance, so it'd be useful to have this topic on the forum.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Always !

The base to gluten-free cooking is a strong carrier for the taste of things. Brew, bacon, creme fraiche or double cream are carriers to taste, but they make people fat as well. So every food that tastes intense, always has a high amount of fat inside. And if not its oversaturrated with gluten or other artificial aromes.

I always try to bring taste to food via the sauce, so I pretty much leave everything else alone. Salt and pepper are the only things I use on meat or vegetables, sometimes rosmarine, thyme and that stuff for good meat. The taste bringer tho is always the sauce. For an easy cream sauce, you can use milk, some salt, pepper and paprika for the color. Pepper is a taste carrier as well. Problem tho is without a base this sauce wont taste good. So I dont know if thats availiable in the States but there is gluten free vegetable stock. Meat stock you wont get gluten free. But with vegetable you can already make the sauce.

If you want to go advanced you can keep the brew of a good piece of meat. The brew is a perfect carrier for every sauce. You can freeze meat brew to ice blocks and keep it for about 3 months. You can make vegetable brew as well, by cooking all kinds of vegetables in a big kettle for an hour. You can freeze that as well and keep it for 6 months.

Another thing is a roux. It uses flour as a carrier which has coded sugar and fat inside. You put a piece of butter in a kettle and let it melt. Then you add a little bit of flour until it all piles up. Then you add a lot of water and keep on moving the stuff in the kettle all the time. At some temperature the thing will turn into a sauce. Now you can make good white sauces. You shouldnt add meat brew or other taste intense or tangy things, 'dark taste and flour' turns bitter. But you can add sweet taste or sour taste. The best thing is to add a lot of moustard then a drip of vinegar, some sugar, salt and maybe a shot of maggi and you get a perfect mustard sauce, excellent for fish.

To simulate maggi I found out that you can use lovage, the herb. You need some fat for it tho to activate, otherwise it tastes bitter.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Always !

The base to gluten-free cooking is a strong carrier for the taste of things. Brew, bacon, creme fraiche or double cream are carriers to taste, but they make people fat as well. So every food that tastes intense, always has a high amount of fat inside. And if not its oversaturrated with gluten or other artificial aromes.

Bacon and double cream does not make you fat. SPOONS MAKE YOU FAT.

I always try to bring taste to food via the sauce, so I pretty much leave everything else alone.

Same here. When it comes to cooking, my meals tend to be pretty simple with ingredients left whole more often than not, like roasted vegetables or steaks or boiled eggs. It's pretty close to the paleo diet, I suppose, though it's not intentional. Instead of finding all manner of wheat substitutions, I elect to just avoid the issue entirely -- unless I'm baking, but that's another matter.

So I dont know if thats availiable in the States but there is gluten free vegetable stock. Meat stock you wont get gluten free. But with vegetable you can already make the sauce.

:blink: Your stock has gluten in it? That's weird. I've never run into that issue here, whether it's beef or chicken or vegetable.

If you want to go advanced you can keep the brew of a good piece of meat. The brew is a perfect carrier for every sauce. You can freeze meat brew to ice blocks and keep it for about 3 months.

I call that meat juice and I suck it off the plate with a straw. :happy2: Muahaha.

Another thing is a roux. It uses flour as a carrier which has coded sugar and fat inside.

The problem with this is that I was raised by the son of a Southern chef, so I'm pretty much a gravy connoisseur at this point and none of my gluten-free attempts have measured up to the real thing. It's either grainy or has that odd rice flour taste or the texture just isn't right because of the weight of the flour or because it's made with corn starch. This is another instance where I just opt out and stick with simpler fare.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INTP friend IRL doesn't consume gluten & is always looking for new ways to cook.. you should definitely post them.. her results tend to be hit-or-miss, haha.

Others may have things to add in the future, or new members may come along who also have gluten intolerance, so it'd be useful to have this topic on the forum.

Okie-dokie-pokie. I'll get on that, then.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:blink: Your stock has gluten in it? That's weird. I've never run into that issue here, whether it's beef or chicken or vegetable.

Yea, I have only found one vegetable stock - which is pretty expensive - so far that is free of gluten and aromes. Yeast extraxt or marmite is the codeword for gluten and aromes. My gf is gluten and artificial arome intolerant, when eating it she breaks out in a rash. I have only found one stock that she could eat, the rest of them were all fake. They have the label that they are gluten free but have yeast extraxt, which is the same sucky thing.
Maybe you meant a fonds, so liquid stock. Thats a different thing, but fonds are too expensive for the daily cooking most of the times imo.

The problem with this is that I was raised by the son of a Southern chef, so I'm pretty much a gravy connoisseur at this point and none of my gluten-free attempts have measured up to the real thing. It's either grainy or has that odd rice flour taste or the texture just isn't right because of the weight of the flour or because it's made with corn starch. This is another instance where I just opt out and stick with simpler fare.

You can kill the grainy issue most of the time by adding the flour and the butter before the water. Most people take the flour into it after the butter and water but that will make it grainy. Another thing is to go with very very very little flour and have patience. If its too much water later you can boil it down. The meal really takes some time to come out.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have only found one stock that she could eat, the rest of them were all fake. They have the label that they are gluten free but have yeast extraxt, which is the same sucky thing.

That doesn't sound right. Yeast itself contains no gluten. Yeast extract should always be gluten-free unless it is identified as barley malt. Are you certain she doesn't have a yeast sensitivity? :thinking:

You can kill the grainy issue most of the time by adding the flour and the butter before the water. Most people take the flour into it after the butter and water but that will make it grainy. Another thing is to go with very very very little flour and have patience. If its too much water later you can boil it down. The meal really takes some time to come out.

Yup, that's precisely how I make it. I can still taste the difference. It's just my palate I guess.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That doesn't sound right. Yeast itself contains no gluten. Yeast extract should always be gluten-free unless it is identified as barley malt. Are you certain she doesn't have a yeast sensitivity? :thinking:

Yes no gluten but glutamate acid, I had to research myself. My gf is allergic to all of it, gluten, glutamate, flavour enhancers. Requiring me to catch up on a lot of 'how my grandma did it' cooking :).

Here is a description of the contreversy regarding yeast extract: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_extract

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, all right. I just want to make it clear to others reading this, though, that glutamate is not gluten. It is an amino acid. Unless an individual has a problem with MSG (monosodium glutamate), it's safe for a gluten-free diet. It's one of those words that sounds all gluteny but is not.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, it can be grainy. I have found this to be a real problem when making gumbo. Bob's Red Mill white and brown rice flour is pretty fine so it is okay but the roux never becomes silky smooth. I found corn starch to do well with some things but not everything...:(

I just made some gluten-free sweet potato pies...crust was excellent. Flaky and buttery. I think I'll use leaf lard next time.