• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Warm

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FWIW I'm from Ye Northern Climes and I've never heard of anyone using those :shrug: and my gut tells me that people would use them if they worked. But they could also be a well-kept secret.

What, really? Those clear plastic sheets are definitely a thing around here (ON, Canada), especially around drafty windows. Not as useful for the new well-insulated windows since they don't leak nearly as much warmth. They can make a huge difference on older/poorly insulated windows, though. I'm not sure how much they'd be affected by the small hole, my guess would be not a huge amount.

If the windows don't feel drafty a space heater might be a good option, or of course just wearing warmer clothes.

gromit

likes this
What, really? Those clear plastic sheets are definitely a thing around here (ON, Canada), especially around drafty windows. Not as useful for the new well-insulated windows since they don't leak nearly as much warmth. They can make a huge difference on older/poorly insulated windows, though. I'm not sure how much they'd be affected by the small hole, my guess would be not a huge amount.

If the windows don't feel drafty a space heater might be a good option, or of course just wearing warmer clothes.

I read a forum where a lady tried it and she taped a box around the area before she cut the hole so it wouldn't tear, not a bad idea. Said it worked pretty well. I think I will go for it!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. Then other people must be using them where I'm from and I just haven't noticed. (Also, it's likely that fewer people I know have drafty windows.)

I will keep this in mind, then, for if I end up living somewhere with drafty windows and cold average temperatures! Thanks, Randomnity and gromit :)
^ This is what we usually do.

gromit

likes this
Yes I am all about the warm clothing and layers. Space heater might be more of an investment than I'm willing to invest in though.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Question. Insulating plastic window sheets.

BlobServlet

My new room is small but has five windows, and when the heat is turned down low (pretty much always, except for 7:30-8:30 AM), it gets freeeezing. I have used those plastic sheets before in other apartments, but those rooms did not have blinds. The blinds in my bedroom now are inside the window frame. If I cover the windows with the plastic sheet I will not be able to operate the blinds.

My understanding is that the sheet creates a pocket of air between the plastic and the glass, which acts as an insulator. Does it seem legit to cover the window with the plastic and then cut a very small hole at the top corner for the strings from the blinds? Some cold air from that layer between the plastic and the glass would leak out, of course. But would it be so much that it is not worth it? Leaning toward no, but would appreciate anyone with actual experience with this.

If you have what I'm thinking of...on both ends of the blinds there should be a square box holding them up. They have screw-holes on every side of them. Just unscrew them to take em down, put the plastic sheets up and then screw the two boxes to the front of the window frame instead of on the inside of the jamb.

Not to derail (its still on subject just not windows) I work outside for hours at a time but I need good use of my fingers. I have wasted a bunch of money on gloves that just aren't cutting it. Does anybody know of a good brand of gloves that are durable but can keep me warm and my fingers flexible?

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I work on a construction site. The first 5-6 hours of my day involve operating a buck hoist, which is just a construction elevator that is attached to the outside of the buliding. I am pretty much constantly hooking/unhooking carabeeners which is why I need finger flexibility. I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use. And winter hasn't even started yet! Though I got a taste of it last week when it got down to the 30's. Wonder what the single digit/negative days will be like? :thumbdown:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I lived near the Arctic Circle for a while. Space heaters and long underwear are my favorite. And fuzzy blankets, since their fuzz traps heat.

Ponyboy said:
I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use

Ugh I understand. Is there any chance that wearing the thin pair underneath with a thicker pair of fingerless over the top would be helpful?

gromit

likes this
I work on a construction site. The first 5-6 hours of my day involve operating a buck hoist, which is just a construction elevator that is attached to the outside of the buliding. I am pretty much constantly hooking/unhooking carabeeners which is why I need finger flexibility. I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use. And winter hasn't even started yet! Though I got a taste of it last week when it got down to the 30's. Wonder what the single digit/negative days will be like? :thumbdown:

I will try to remember to ask my dad what he used to use. He worked construction for many years.

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I lived near the Arctic Circle for a while. Space heaters and long underwear are my favorite. And fuzzy blankets, since their fuzz traps heat.

Ugh I understand. Is there any chance that wearing the thin pair underneath with a thicker pair of fingerless over the top would be helpful?

Oh yeah, I practically live in long johns from about now til....whenever. Unfortunately its the fingers I need to be warm the most. Not sure if its a circulation issue but my fingers get super cold really quickly! :(

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I will try to remember to ask my dad what he used to use. He worked construction for many years.

Thanks, this is my first year doing this outside all the time work. I've asked around but I get different answers from everybody. Any extra info that I could look into would be appreciated! :)