• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Warm

gromit

likes this
I am thinking of some old-timey long johns are actually not a bad idea for the winter. No drafts sneaking in at the waistline.

4081065510_2ed700cc45.jpg

gromit

likes this
So. I have been riding my bike to class in the evenings with my EMS long underwear tops and bottoms under my clothes, tucked into each other and into socks. Not bad at all!

Another idea I had would be to get some fleece material and sew up some little wrist warmers to bridge the gap between gloves and sleeves.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Heck, it's gotten up to around 80 almost every day here for the last week. :D

A

Anew Leaf

LOL. That is so disturbing, Gromit, but hilarious at the same time.

My solution is sheep socks I got in Iceland. :D THEYARESOGLORIOUSLYWARMAMGS.

gromit

likes this
Heck, it's gotten up to around 80 almost every day here for the last week. :D

Where do you live???

It's actually super warm right now. Delightful. No need for long johns today!

LOL. That is so disturbing, Gromit, but hilarious at the same time.

My solution is sheep socks I got in Iceland. :D THEYARESOGLORIOUSLYWARMAMGS.

I have several pair of wool socks. Amazing right? Anyway what were you doing in Iceland? I have some friends who went there on their honeymoon and I saw the pictures and really want to go now.

By disturbing you mean... awesome? :cheese:

A

Anew Leaf

Where do you live???

It's actually super warm right now. Delightful. No need for long johns today!

I have several pair of wool socks. Amazing right? Anyway what were you doing in Iceland? I have some friends who went there on their honeymoon and I saw the pictures and really want to go now.

yes!! They are sooo cute!! and soft!! AND FLUFFY!!! *dies*

I was there on vacation. I went hiking and explored the western side for a few days. I'd love to go back sometime... I really want to go to the northern side in the summertime. There is a place where you are pretty much guaranteed to see whales everytime you go out.

I'd probably pass out and then fall over the side in my excitement.

P.S. Reykjavik is boring. :p

W

WALMART

These are what I wear on my motorcycle mid-winter ;) They work.

Mine are a tad more modern though, lol.

gromit

likes this
Chilly again tonight. Going to wear some long johns on my way to lecture! I used to hate winter soooo much, but it is like at least 3x better with long underwear, I kid you not.

I think these might be a good addition. I like that they are a natural fabric.

404528_AE12_FF_IVO
404544_AE12_FF_IVO

yes!! They are sooo cute!! and soft!! AND FLUFFY!!! *dies*

I was there on vacation. I went hiking and explored the western side for a few days. I'd love to go back sometime... I really want to go to the northern side in the summertime. There is a place where you are pretty much guaranteed to see whales everytime you go out.

I'd probably pass out and then fall over the side in my excitement.

P.S. Reykjavik is boring. :p
That is so cool. Someday I will go there! Although I have a couple other trips line up first, to visit people who have moved away. Have you been on a whale watch before?

These are what I wear on my motorcycle mid-winter ;) They work.

Mine are a tad more modern though, lol.
How cold does it get where you are? I think actually a motorcycle would feel colder than a bicycle, because on the bicycle your body is at least burning some calories which contribute warmth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_Valley This is the time of year it should be getting cold and rainy, but it's actually warming up again.
What is cold, like 58? :D

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha longjohns rock, i love the oldschool grey ribbed ones. :smile:

A

Anew Leaf

That is so cool. Someday I will go there! Although I have a couple other trips line up first, to visit people who have moved away. Have you been on a whale watch before?

Yes, I have actually. :D I went on one that left from Reykyavik and I saw a bunch of dolphins and a couple Minsk Whales. It was thrilling. I REALLY want to see Humpbacks sometime.... but another time, another ocean.

I explored the MAR region there and that was super fun... to "be" on two continents at the same time. :)

If/when you are planning on going, make sure to hit me up!

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like that they are a natural fabric.
Yeah, that way they won't melt and stick to you like polyester does if you're exposed to fire (random irrelevant knowledge).

You might want to check SmartWool, if you haven't already. http://www.smartwool.com/womens/l/baselayer.html

What is cold, like 58? :D
That's actually about what the lows have been lately, and the highs in the 80-90 range, which is a bit warmer than usual. In the winter it usually gets down to the 30s and sometimes the 20s.

W

WALMART

@ gromit

Uh, it occasionally gets down in the teens? lol.

Riding my motorcycle in it is way freezing. I don't do it much anymore, now the novelty of riding has worn off. Though I do have a nice little warm engine cradle to plunge my hands into at red lights and on the highway ;)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Those thin thermals that you posted Gromit, they're amazing. The army issued things just like that to us, and most of the time I didn't even need a jacket when it wasn't snowing, just those things and a beanie and I was set.

gromit

likes this
Those thin thermals that you posted Gromit, they're amazing. The army issued things just like that to us, and most of the time I didn't even need a jacket when it wasn't snowing, just those things and a beanie and I was set.

What is the material?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What is the material?

http://www.polartec.com/ This brand. http://polartec.com/uploads/pdfs/POL_Mil_ECWCS_G3.pdf This system. The first one on the upper left corner in the picture is what I was referring to. (We get pants with boy-style crotches anyways :laugh: )

They're amazingly warm, I frequently fore-go the pants just because I'm wearing boots and it takes a slight effort to remove your pants once you're dressed in uniform and I know it will be a bit warmer later in the day. They breathe too so you don't feel suffocated, and they're so thin that you don't feel bulky and balloon-like walking around in them.

gromit

likes this
Question. Insulating plastic window sheets.

BlobServlet

My new room is small but has five windows, and when the heat is turned down low (pretty much always, except for 7:30-8:30 AM), it gets freeeezing. I have used those plastic sheets before in other apartments, but those rooms did not have blinds. The blinds in my bedroom now are inside the window frame. If I cover the windows with the plastic sheet I will not be able to operate the blinds.

My understanding is that the sheet creates a pocket of air between the plastic and the glass, which acts as an insulator. Does it seem legit to cover the window with the plastic and then cut a very small hole at the top corner for the strings from the blinds? Some cold air from that layer between the plastic and the glass would leak out, of course. But would it be so much that it is not worth it? Leaning toward no, but would appreciate anyone with actual experience with this.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Interesting. Not sure how much good that would do, but it's worth a look.

FWIW I'm from Ye Northern Climes and I've never heard of anyone using those :shrug: and my gut tells me that people would use them if they worked. But they could also be a well-kept secret.

You could always use a space heater? My bedroom back at my parent's house is a converted sun room so three of the four walls are windowed, so it gets really cold in there unless I put a space heater in. (I usually put a container of water on top of the heater so the heat doesn't dry out the room too badly.)

Re: long-johns. You should get fleece footie pajamas! :happy2:
I like these Wolverine ones. :wub:

gromit

likes this
I have used them before and I think they do help, esp in older buildings with not as good windows.

It's not horrible, and I can go to the library, a cafe, or my bed when it gets too chilly!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I always tended to use heavy curtains to curb chill coming from windows.. I have a summer curtain and a winter one.

I think probably the better (but not cheaper) investment would be a small space heater to curb the hours that it gets too cold in the room.

This year we won't be able to afford the central heat, so instead we're going to have a wood-burning fireplace going, a couple space heaters that will transfer rooms depending on the day, more baking in the oven, and some heated blankets for night time.