• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Me With This Ingredient

gromit

likes this
Mustard greens.

What should I do with it? Every way I cook it, it seems to taste bad. Bitter. The best I can handle is diluting it with a different green with a flavor I actually enjoy. Anybody have any recipes where mustard greens truly shine? I was thinking perhaps add some lemon or cider vinegar while cooking it.

Also, if anyone else has a troublesome ingredient they would like to enjoy, post here and maybe someone will have a suggestion or recipe for it.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
chop up an onion, throw it in a skillet with a 2 table spoons of olive oil, on medium high
Let them get transparent, then throw in mushrooms
Add a couple table spoons of soy sauce
reduce heat to medium low
cut the leaves off of the stems of the greens, wash and shop into smaller pieces, add to the mixture with the lid on until they are wilted
You can add almonds, chicken, pinoles, water cress, a splash of wine, whatever you like. Boil off most of the liquid.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why bother with them in the first place? Do they give you superpowers? :huh:

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
feed them to bunnies.

Go Indian! They can be delicious cooked just like regular spinach saag. This is a pretty good recipe.

This is about a week too late, but they can be delicious cooked just like regular Indian saag. This is a pretty good recipe.

gromit

likes this
Go Indian! They can be delicious cooked just like regular spinach saag. This is a pretty good recipe.

Oh that looks awesome. Well, we got dandelion greens this week. Might try that with the dandelion greens, even though they aren't so bitter as the mustard greens. Or maybe I will see if we get the mustard greens again.

gromit

likes this
Next ingredient up: fresh fennel
Fennel.jpg

Anyone have anything delicious with that? I used to hate anything remotely licorice-flavored: candy, star anise, fennel. Suddenly, it is delicious to me!

ps [MENTION=13147]senza_tema[/MENTION], I made some "saag" paneer with the dandelion greens. It was delish.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Next ingredient up: fresh fennel
Fennel.jpg

Anyone have anything delicious with that? I used to hate anything remotely licorice-flavored: candy, star anise, fennel. Suddenly, it is delicious to me!

ps [MENTION=13147]senza_tema[/MENTION], I made some "saag" paneer with the dandelion greens. It was delish.

I LOVE fennel. Here's two salads that are delicious. We have the chicken salad every couple weeks, it's an easy dinner.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/orange-fennel-salad-recipe/index.html

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-chicken-salad-50400000122335/

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I'm getting on this bandwagon.

artichoke_care_handling.jpg

Artichokes.

I LOVE the way they taste and I'm always tempted to pick one up at the supermarket and try something with it, but I've never actually done it because they look thorny and challenging to work with. So can anyone tell me how to handle, clean, and cook an artichoke? Recipes and tips appreciated; preferably not for artichoke dip. I like artichoke dip but I'd prefer to try a recipe that doesn't mask the flavour of the vegetable with pounds of cheese.

gromit

likes this

Artichokes.

I LOVE the way they taste and I'm always tempted to pick one up at the supermarket and try something with it, but I've never actually done it because they look thorny and challenging to work with. So can anyone tell me how to handle, clean, and cook an artichoke? Recipes and tips appreciated; preferably not for artichoke dip. I like artichoke dip but I'd prefer to try a recipe that doesn't mask the flavour of the vegetable with pounds of cheese.

I didn't make it, just ate it, like roasted or something. You peel off each leaf and then kind of bite/suck off the soft part. Very tasty. Finger food.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Artichokes.

I buy a lot of baby artichokes in the summer, cut them in half and grill them. They are easier to work with than the full sized ones because they have no choke. The big ones just need to be boiled or steamed, here is a good guide with pictures for removing the choke and heart. I like plain melted butter for dipping the leaves, no sauces.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/WholeArtichoke.htm

For recipes, I get jars of grilled artichoke hearts, I wouldn't waste time cooking whole ones for dip or anything. Frozen hearts are really inferior, I don't use those at all.

gromit

likes this
New ingredient: cabbage.

I just made a huge mixing bowl of cole slaw but that only used approximately 1/4 the head. In the past I have made stuffed cabbage leaves, but that does not use enough cabbage compared to the amount of total food output. Another time I made a baked cabbage gratin, that was tasty. Hm. Perhaps I'll make that again.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION]: Tacos? Stir-fry? Asian noodle dishes? Throwing some into your ramen noodles?

(Your ideas sound better, lol...)

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION]: Tacos? Stir-fry? Asian noodle dishes? Throwing some into your ramen noodles?

(Your ideas sound better, lol...)

Tell me more about cabbage in tacos. I am intrigued...