• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Me With This Ingredient

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ooh... make vietnamese egg rolls (cha gio)!!! they're the only egg rolls that I've ever willingly eaten! :holy:

they are definitely awesomeness wrapped in rice paper :wubbie:

m1viGAaUBL0f6c-640m.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Tell me more about cabbage in tacos. I am intrigued...

Fish tacos are topped with cabbage, almost a type of slaw. Besides salads, my favorite way of making cabbage is stuffed with meat and rice or roasted/grilled.

roasted-cabbage-recipe-kalynskitchen.jpg

gromit

likes this
Fish tacos are topped with cabbage, almost a type of slaw. Besides salads, my favorite way of making cabbage is stuffed with meat and rice or roasted/grilled.

roasted-cabbage-recipe-kalynskitchen.jpg

Is that photo just sliced and roasted? Looks delicious.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Is that photo just sliced and roasted? Looks delicious.

Yep just sliced and roasted. I leave the core on to hold it together better. A little butter and salt and pepper and maybe 25 minutes at 400.

gromit

likes this
Next up... pumpkin

My roommate and I accidentally went crazy and bought 3 giant pumpkins. We roasted one yesterday and the seeds. Used 1/4 of it for a pie. There is gonna be a LOT of pumpkin though. If we made only pies, there would probably be 10 pies. Here's what else I have thought of so far:

• Pumpkin bread or muffins
  • Baked oatmeal with pumpkin (I have made it with sweet potatoes - I think pumpkin would be a fine substitution)
  • Soup, like curried soup or something

Anyone else have any fabulous pumpkin ideas??

Baked oatmeal with pumpkin is delicious, I can vouch for it. I put chocolate chips in mine too. :drool:

I make a super easy pasta sauce with pureed butternut squash based on THIS recipe. Pumpkin should work just fine as a substitution. I've been using onions instead of leeks because leeks are still too expensive, and it still tastes good.

spaghetti-with-creamy-butternut-leek-parmesan-sauce.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Next up... pumpkin

My roommate and I accidentally went crazy and bought 3 giant pumpkins. We roasted one yesterday and the seeds. Used 1/4 of it for a pie. There is gonna be a LOT of pumpkin though. If we made only pies, there would probably be 10 pies. Here's what else I have thought of so far:

• Pumpkin bread or muffins
  • Baked oatmeal with pumpkin (I have made it with sweet potatoes - I think pumpkin would be a fine substitution)
  • Soup, like curried soup or something

Anyone else have any fabulous pumpkin ideas??
Roasting the seeds to eat as a snack is always fun. :)

Any baked goods would be tasty -- bread or muffins, like you said, or cookies, cheesecakes, another pie (as a gift, or for Thanksgiving?)...

Pinterest has several recipes for pumpkin milkshakes!

I got a bunch of swiss chard because it was on sale and looked beautiful and I've heard good things about it. But I don't know what to do with it (other than my usual strategy with greens: garlic and olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon). Any suggestions?

Nicki

Retired
I got a bunch of swiss chard because it was on sale and looked beautiful and I've heard good things about it. But I don't know what to do with it (other than my usual strategy with greens: garlic and olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon). Any suggestions?

I heard it makes a good dip when you combine it with greek yogurt.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a recipe that called for horseradish, and rather than using the raw form of that, I used mustard greens. I'm not sure how I arrived at that, but it seemed to work pretty well. Use it to give something a "kick"'. I suppose this only works if you like spicy food.

The recipe I used it for was a liverwurst sandwich, IIRC.

gromit

likes this

Might be too late, but here's what I love to do with swiss chard:

Sautee some garlic in olive oil
Add chopped stems from the SC, let them start to get tender
Add chopped leaves of SC, chopped tomatoes, and drained white beans
Season with salt, pepper, crushed rosemary

Great with roast potatoes or maybe some crusty bread (or on its own), and you can eat the leftovers cooked into scrambled eggs too.

gromit

likes this
Oh, and [MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION], make sure you wash/rinse it well. It can have lots of sand/grit that sort of ruins the delicate texture.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Next ingredient up: fresh fennel
Fennel.jpg

Anyone have anything delicious with that? I used to hate anything remotely licorice-flavored: candy, star anise, fennel. Suddenly, it is delicious to me!

ps [MENTION=13147]senza_tema[/MENTION], I made some "saag" paneer with the dandelion greens. It was delish.

Lightly "braisé", fennels are a good companion of several white ocean fishes with firm flesh, like bass. Fennels and sea bass is a classic dish in my home Britanny.

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
Lightly "braisé", fennels is a good companion of several white ocean fishes with firm flesh, like bass. Fennels and sea bass is a classic dish in my home Britanny.

Ok I have never braised anything. Is it like roasting except with a broth sort of?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok I have never braised anything. Is it like roasting except with a broth sort of?

Saute the fennel in a pan with a little oil until lightly browned, then add a liquid like broth and cook until tender.

I hear fennel is good raw, sliced very thin, with oranges, olive oil, a vinegar and salt and pepper. I really dislike anything with anise flavor so can't say if it's actually good. :D

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Saute the fennel in a pan with a little oil until lightly browned, then add a liquid like broth and cook until tender.

I hear fennel is good raw, sliced very thin, with oranges, olive oil, a vinegar and salt and pepper. I really dislike anything with anise flavor so can't say if it's actually good. :D

True.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/orange-fennel-salad-recipe/index.html

I don't care for licorice/anise flavor either but this is an excellent salad. That flavor is almost undetectable. The crunch is very pleasant and the orange pairs nicely with the vinaigrette.

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION], that sounds terribly easy. I will have to try it next time fennel is on sale.

It's crazy, I used to feel the same way as you both, but in the past 1-2 years my taste buds have come around to the flavor.

gromit

likes this
Next up... dried lima beans!

517E2ahROhL.jpg

These were on sale, so I picked up a bag. Last time I had them was as a kid, steamed, from the freezer. The green kind. I just remember them being kinda icky and bland.

Now as an adult I am ready to give it another try. I love to prepare different kinds of dried beans. I somehow think I could make it work maybe with some herbs, butter, and leeks or something... but I was wondering if anyone has some great ideas for how to cook them (preferably vegetarian haha...)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was making a recipe last night -- peanut noodle slaw (YUM) -- that called for one small green cabbage. But all they had at the grocery were really big, like the size of my head. So now I have a little over half of a giant cabbage that I don't know what to do with.

Anyone have favorite cabbage recipes?

Edit: Ha, totally missed that [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] asked about cabbage earlier in the thread.