• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Me With This Ingredient

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was making a recipe last night -- peanut noodle slaw (YUM) -- that called for one small green cabbage. But all they had at the grocery were really big, like the size of my head. So now I have a little over half of a giant cabbage that I don't know what to do with.

Anyone have favorite cabbage recipes?
This is one of my favorite cabbage recipes.
Nomnom

Italian sausage cabbage stew

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ooh... make vietnamese egg rolls (cha gio)!!! they're the only egg rolls that I've ever willingly eaten! :holy:

they are definitely awesomeness wrapped in rice paper :wubbie:

View attachment 8441
Unfortunately Vietnamese cha gio is not "egg" roll. The ones in your picture are just Chinese eggrolls, and those are not rice wrapping paper.

These are original Vietnamese spring rolls (thin rice wrapper; shrimps, crab meat/pork, shiitake mushrooms, beansprouts, eggs; fried)

http://media.edaily.vn/upload/news-pir1346756322.jpg

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
cabbage and sausage are my two favorite foods. i'd have made a good polish citizen during ww2 era
Haha. I'm not a sausage fanatic, but this stew is my favorite. Spicy Italian sausages, slightly crunchy shreds of cabbage, hint of white wine on top of homemade chicken stock, fresh herbs. Mmmmm omnomnom

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unfortunately Vietnamese cha gio is not "egg" roll. The ones in your picture are just Chinese eggrolls, and those are not rice wrapping paper.

These are original Vietnamese spring rolls (thin rice wrapper; shrimps, crab meat/pork, shiitake mushrooms, beansprouts, eggs; fried)

http://media.edaily.vn/upload/news-pir1346756322.jpg

I did a google search for a pic... :rolleyes:

I do know what they're like, as I live around the corner from a vietnamese restaurant that we frequently order takeout from and my friend's husband's mother (who is from vietnam) spent an afternoon teaching us to make them a few years ago...

I suppose that you're totally right to go around and be irrationally picky in a thread about food just to annoy people though... that's super awesome of you :holy:

seriously... the post is nearly 2 years old, to dredge something up just to whine about a picture and wording in a FOOD thread when this isn't a food forum is just a bit much... :thelook:

*is not in the mood for being annoyed*

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did a google search for a pic... :rolleyes:

I do know what they're like, as I live around the corner from a vietnamese restaurant that we frequently order takeout from and my friend's husband's mother (who is from vietnam) spent an afternoon teaching us to make them a few years ago...

I suppose that you're totally right to go around and be irrationally picky in a thread about food just to annoy people though... that's super awesome of you :holy:

seriously... the post is nearly 2 years old, to dredge something up just to whine about a picture and wording in a FOOD thread when this isn't a food forum is just a bit much... :thelook:

*is not in the mood for being annoyed*

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I'm Vietnamese and found it interesting to see an interest in my home cuisine and especially in a dish I myself take much interest in. I thought I just wanted to clarify its authenticity. Spring rolls I found in the States are never authentic. Even ones in many parts in Vietnam are surprisingly not either.

That is all.
I suppose if I post Chicago pizza photo around here and say it's real pizza, if an Italian sees it they just might let me know authentic pizza is different.

Nobody whined or tried to annoy you.
Sorry. *sigh*

gromit

likes this
I was making a recipe last night -- peanut noodle slaw (YUM) -- that called for one small green cabbage. But all they had at the grocery were really big, like the size of my head. So now I have a little over half of a giant cabbage that I don't know what to do with.

Anyone have favorite cabbage recipes?

Edit: Ha, totally missed that [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] asked about cabbage earlier in the thread.

I think I'm gonna make a simplified version of this for a potluck this wk!

A Good Shredded Salad Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have 8 ounces of full fat ricotta cheese, left over from a recipe I made a few weeks ago. Anyone have suggestions?

(First thing I thought of was some kind of pasta, though I don't know what recipe I'd use -- and second thing I thought of was eating it on toast with fig butter.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have 8 ounces of full fat ricotta cheese, left over from a recipe I made a few weeks ago. Anyone have suggestions?

(First thing I thought of was some kind of pasta, though I don't know what recipe I'd use -- and second thing I thought of was eating it on toast with fig butter.)

4 ripe apricots, cut in half, stones removed (or peaches, nectarines..)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/8 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 TBS cup chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
1/4 cup ricotta

METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place apricot halves in a baking dish, cut side up. In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, then fold in remaining ingredients. Divide mixture evenly among apricot halves, lightly mounding it into center of each with a small spoon.
Bake on center rack of oven for 30 minutes or until apricots are plumped and juicy, and the stuffing is browned. Serve immediately. Can be topped with fresh whipped cream.

Serves 4

gromit

likes this

Those both sound delicious to me!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Next up... dried lima beans!

517E2ahROhL.jpg

These were on sale, so I picked up a bag. Last time I had them was as a kid, steamed, from the freezer. The green kind. I just remember them being kinda icky and bland.

Now as an adult I am ready to give it another try. I love to prepare different kinds of dried beans. I somehow think I could make it work maybe with some herbs, butter, and leeks or something... but I was wondering if anyone has some great ideas for how to cook them (preferably vegetarian haha...)

lima beans are evil fyi

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

i like doing lemon juice and powdered sugar and possibly some vanilla and making like a crepe or something and putting that in it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I bought a package of that Trader Joe's brown rice medley that you like. What sorts of things do you like to use that for?

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I bought a package of that Trader Joe's brown rice medley that you like. What sorts of things do you like to use that for?

Last time I used it I made a slightly dumbed down version of this (fecking amazing FYI): Coconut Quinoa Bowl Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

I also like to just cook it in broth and have it with some seasoned lentils and some sort of veggie, like maybe garlic broccoli or something.

Or really any time you'd use rice, it just has more oomph than normal rice.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I ended up using a good portion of the rice for this: Kale and Wild Rice Casserole - Half Baked Harvest
and it was so. good.

I think I'll use the rest for this: Vegetarian West African Peanut Soup - Cookie and Kate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT QUESTION (which may sound silly, but I swear I'm serious): Does anyone have any marginally healthier recipes to recommend that involve bacon? I have loads of bacon in the freezer and no intention of cooking huge American breakfasts with them.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Every time I do my favourite soup :wubbie:(creamy corn soup) I end up with 200ml of coconut milk and no idea what to do with it, so I make curry chicken (again)...

Any different ideas about what can I do with it? Pretty please.

cat.jpg