• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spider love thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
RAFT SPIDER
0_23a9d4dbefa694adcccc0948ce1832bb.jpg

ZEBRA SPIDER
0_a1f8600702955661c6614b98419031e7.jpg

I love how they look around "What's this? What was that? What's over here??" *random leap*

Also Jumpers seem to have a thing for cameras. They always stare at them or jump on it.

Funny. I mean, what I was just reading about them today was that they have decent eyesight compared to some spiders (obviously -- they need spatial sense to time and aim their leaps), and the Zebra spider above is noted to seem to be observing the people who are observing it...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
heh.... They freak me out, actually, but I am doing my best to spread the spider love!

Aww you mean they don't make you all snorgly and full of glee like me? :p

Ooh I already posted that video didn't I.

Here's a picture instead!
2dtnjaq.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the man screams like a little girl when confronted with a spider... I tend to think that they are adorable :wubbie:

fortunately, he's too terrified of them to squish them, so I get to take them outside (if it's warm) or to the front room (which I let him think that they're outside :whistling:) if it's freezing out

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the man screams like a little girl when confronted with a spider... I tend to think that they are adorable :wubbie:

fortunately, he's too terrified of them to squish them, so I get to take them outside (if it's warm) or to the front room (which I let him think that they're outside :whistling:) if it's freezing out

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll be honest: When I saw that pic she added this morning, my skin all over my body literally crawled. I can't help it; it's a physical reflex. I also wanted to keep my legs tucked under the covers and was queasy about stepping out of bed in the dark because of what I might step on.

Then I realized I wasn't safe, because spiders can crawl under the blankets.

Then I just told myself I was being dumb and needed to get a grip. But it doesn't stop the physical responses. I can't even touch the computer screen with the picture on it, like on my cell. Blarg.

It's pretty weird, I am not bothered by mice, bugs, dogs, snakes, or other things, aside from being wary since I'm aware of potential danger. This is a full-blown autonomic body response, I just lock up. But I'm trying, as you can see!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]... Sometimes things (clowns) just tickle the fear response no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that they (clowns) are NOT evil blood sucking spawn of cthulu... :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes things (clowns) just tickle the fear response no matter how hard you try to convince yourself that they (clowns) are NOT evil blood sucking spawn of cthulu... :doh:

Amusing. I'm TOTALLY cool with clowns... even the evil ones. They just don't bother me in the slightest. :smile:

Sounds like Stephen King's IT has got both bases covered for us, though -- lots of clowns, and then a badass giganto-spider who bites people's tongues.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Amusing. I'm TOTALLY cool with clowns... even the evil ones. They just don't bother me in the slightest. :smile:

Sounds like Stephen King's IT has got both bases covered for us, though -- lots of clowns, and then a badass giganto-spider who bites people's tongues.

that movie SO confused my :yay: and :peepwall: impulses... I LOVE tim curry and I hate clowns... can't see their faces, so I can't trust them :thelook:

I like anything that eats mosquitoes though, so if clowns want to be likable, they've got to get a different diet! :cheese:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'll be honest: When I saw that pic she added this morning, my skin all over my body literally crawled. I can't help it; it's a physical reflex. I also wanted to keep my legs tucked under the covers and was queasy about stepping out of bed in the dark because of what I might step on.

Then I realized I wasn't safe, because spiders can crawl under the blankets.

Then I just told myself I was being dumb and needed to get a grip. But it doesn't stop the physical responses. I can't even touch the computer screen with the picture on it, like on my cell. Blarg.

It's pretty weird, I am not bothered by mice, bugs, dogs, snakes, or other things, aside from being wary since I'm aware of potential danger. This is a full-blown autonomic body response, I just lock up. But I'm trying, as you can see!

Aww it's ok! Hehee

I used to be a little scared of spiders too (cause people taught me to be :( ) squish spiders and kill bugs is what I was taught... but then I became interested in zoology and taxonomy and kind of gained a more spiritual appreciation for all things that are alive.

Anywayyy :D

Edit: and the last one in this vid is a spider, not an ant. It's an ant mimic spider!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like spiders. :) I always enjoy when they build large webs on the stairs outside the apartment, and when they come in the house I gently take them outside. Spiders were sacred to many native peoples. Everything exists in a web of interconnection.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I like spiders. :) I always enjoy when they build large webs on the stairs outside the apartment, and when they come in the house I gently take them outside. Spiders were sacred to many native peoples. Everything exists in a web of interconnection.

Yes they are awesome, and so varied. Some build webs, some build traps, some hunt directly.

Deinopis constructs a web net that it actually holds in its front legs like a fishing net and actively catches pray with it, just like some kind of person would.

Argyroneta aquatica lives under water almost entirely.

Bagheera kiplingi seems to prefer mostly acacia buds, making it nearly a vegetarian.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes they are awesome, and so varied. Some build webs, some build traps, some hunt directly.

Deinopis constructs a web net that it actually holds in its front legs like a fishing net and actively catches pray with it, just like some kind of person would.

I think that is awesome.

In that way, I find them fascinating. A lot of diversity and inventiveness and range of intelligence... which is also interesting, since their insides/nervous systems seem very different.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think that is awesome.

In that way, I find them fascinating. A lot of diversity and inventiveness and range of intelligence... which is also interesting, since their insides/nervous systems seem very different.

Yup. Spiders can actually have pretty big brains for their size. On some of them the brain takes up almost the entire front portion of the body and may even spill into the legs and abdomen.

Interestingly, Leucorchestris arenicola males can travel more than a mile from their burrow at night to look for a mate, taking a very random and meandering path that's squiggly and goes all over the place as they search. Yet, no matter how complicated the path is, when they return home they do so in a straight line, no matter how much they deviated or explored. They do this in the dark, in the desert, in places where there's pretty much just sand.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool. I love learning about animals.