• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Minimalist Challenge

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
100_0103.jpg

Your wall looks a little bit like John Nashs' in A Beautiful Mind when he lost his marbles.

russell-crowe-mathematical-genius-john-forbes-nash-jr-235940.jpg

Here's a few of my simple organization ideas:

-I bought 12x Akro-Mils containers and neatly fit almost everything I own into a small storage closet which I rent for $25/month. For anyone organizing their stuff like this, let me encourage you, it is well worth the peace of mind once you're finished.

I highly recommend these, they are the only type of bin you can stack as high as you want without the lids cracking under the weight.

41z693S%2BzHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-I got a portable 2Tb hard drive and put it in a hard case protector. I use a laptop and a document scanner which is about 2" thick and the width of a piece of paper to scan stuff and save it along with our typically backup (legally ripped workout DVDs and movies, legal documents, even my wife's recipes) to the drive. If I need to fax anything, I use an online fax service, and instead of printing things I just view them on the laptop... I can even open a PDF document and sign it digitally, then fax it without touching a piece of paper. So in this way, I rarely need to print anything unless it's for someone else, and if I'm the recipient of the print-out, I can just scan it and throw away or shred it.

-My wife and I share a Gmail account which syncs our google calendar and task list to both of our Android phones, which are set up identically with widgets for our google tasks, calendar, up to date weather, gmail, etc. She or I can put an item on the task list widget and it shows up on the others' phone. Pretty awesome.

I'll add more if I think of them.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have a couple ideas that help one out if they want to get rid of some of their hair equipment.

- Curlers: Bobby pins do a number of things.. and a ton of them can be kept in a very small spot.. And. this girl's tutorial on how to curl your hair with just bobby pins really does work. I have thick, curly hair and without any sprays or gels my curls kept for two days. My mother has thin curly hair and hers kept the same amount of time. All you do is twirl small sections of damp hair around your finger(s) (the more fingers you use the bigger the curl) and pin it down to your head and allow your hair to dry. It's preferred to keep it in for at least overnight, I kept mine in for about half a day longer and did two fingers and my curls were ridiculous.

- Smoothing cremes: If you really have too many frizzy strands, here's what I do all the time and it eliminated the need for expensive smoothing cremes. I just used a light body lotion. Something scentless, fast absorbing, etc. A little bit of body lotion does the same thing for my hair all the time, and it isn't any worse for your hair than all the stuff in the smoothing cremes. It's another tip that is great for travel since you probably would carry lotion with you. I use scented lotions as well for the tips of my hair sometimes too.

- Straightener: I have one, I swear I do, but it might as well be my sister's--it lives at her house and I'm too lazy and style my hair too often to reclaim it. The few times I've wanted my hair straighter and didn't have it, all I did was use my tiny hair dryer after conditioning my hair, my hair brush, and I put the hair dryer near my hair and brushed it down. They do it at salons all the time and it works for making your hair straight enough to pass, and it turns out this is actually faster than straightening my hair especially since it's so long.. (My hair got a reputation for killing a flat iron in high school when it was down to my thighs.. by the time it reached the ends it had lost the heat required to straighten the entire length in one pull. We used a regular clothing iron after 15 minutes of trying.)

- Gels and hair spray: I find that mousse, for me, is a really happy marriage of these two products and it works very very well with damp hair.

- Crimping iron: Does anyone but me still like that crimped look? I didn't have an iron though, I just took very small tiny sections of damp hair and braided it, tied it off with those small elastic ties, and left my hair like that for a day. Also, corn rolls in your hair will do the same thing, but the braiding is probably easier and faster for people who don't know how to do that.

I really didn't replace my hair dryer.. since most hotels come with one and I don't have to travel with it, and it's so tiny it doesn't take up much room.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... >.>.. Im still having so much difficulty with the hygiene stuff. I have tons of perfume still, and tons of soaps, lotions, and such that I use occasionally but I cannot seem to find a decent replacement for these things with something that multitasks more. So if any ladies are having issues with this, please let me know any tricks you've done to reduce the clutter. The only thing I've been successful at is re-using the items in my cleaning products to make them smell great.
It depends what products you use regularly and couldn't do without. Without a list it's hard to know what to cut back.

-I find that hair conditioner works as well or better than shaving cream
-I don't own any perfumes as they're irritating to me as well as many other people. If you love them, though, keep them. But even then, every product that has a smell is going to clash with all the other smells, so it's probably good to minimize scents in everything and focus on one smell.
-Only keep the hair products that actually make a big difference for your hair (I use none because none make much difference for me)
-body wash is pretty useless IMO. Just use soap in the smelly areas and nothing anywhere else. If you're filthy head to toe soap still works for that. Scented soaps aren't really needed, it will wash off anyway.
-one body lotion and one face lotion is really all most young people need for lotions. Maybe a hand cream if your hands (or feet) get really chapped and regular lotion doesn't cut it. Baby (or other) oil and aloe vera gel can be good moisturizers, too.

But again, everyone's different, so if something is making you happier than the space it takes up and the price it costs, there's nothing wrong with keeping some indulgences, even if they aren't strictly necessary. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Traveling made me realize how much stuff I really still bring, even now, just because I simply can. I traveled for 10 days with a single snowboarding bag and a backpack. Seems impressive to others, but I still struggle to close the zipper. I brought some things that I really didn't end up needing at all. I used them, but that's not really the same as needing them. I ended up with 5 different jackets. I could have easily done away with two, or even three, of them. I brought two extra pairs of shoes just in case, and while I used them, I didn't need them at all. I could have gotten rid of a pair. I didn't end up using the scarf, nor the extra beanie that I brought just in case my helmet wasn't warm enough. I ended up using my ear-cover for both covering my ears and a scarf when I had my helmet on and it was sufficient. AND I still didn't bring a couple things I wish I would have--a couple pairs of small shorts.

Still... The fact that I calculated most of my clothes right on the money, and didn't bring a ton of toys like I normally do (I brought my hard drive and ended up not touching it :c and my rubix cube goes with me everywhere regardless of if I touch it or not), and used nearly everything I brought is a REALLY good sign. I'm getting better at traveling for sure. My next big trip will tell me a lot more too.. what I prefer, what I need, what I can get rid of.. (The portable humidifier is the best thing I've ever bought.. It works well when I sleep at home, and if I sleep right next to it here in Colorado I can breathe while I sleep.. something I normally struggle with and end up sleeping hours extra as a result.)

It depends what products you use regularly...

The conditioner one is an interesting point. Originally, I had thought to switch from silicone-based products (like modern shampoo and conditioner) to try to help cure my dandruff problems.. but I am looking into a solid conditioner, which could replace my current shave bar. :)

I struggle with perfume so much. I actually did get rid of a ton of it very recently, and I'm continuing to make it dwindle down.. I'm trying to get it down to three bottles.. >.> ... the stupidest part is I hardly ever wear it.

Hair products drive me insane currently. Nothing really 'works' on my hair except for the henna that I stick in it now every couple of months. (The only complaint I have is that people ask me if I've dyed my hair. :( Its quite rude to me and I really don't like to explain how the henna works since it makes me sound desperate somehow to convince people it isn't a straight up hair dye... but I like the results too much to stop using it.) Modern shampoos and conditioners are so damn convenient, but I think that they're also the source of my over oily hair and minor dandruff problems. The all natural methods are not at all travel or military friendly.. and using nothing on hair as long as mine is impossible without smelling like a dirty hippy.

I love love love bar soap. It travels so easily (a small sliver lasts a long time, and several slivers can keep in one travel container) and I found a bar soap that I really like for my face finally. But, same with everything.. I end up inheriting soaps from other places and in the process of trying to use them up I end up with a ton because they do actually last so long. This is only relieved slightly by the fact that I use bar soap to make my laundry detergent now.

This one gives me a ton of grief as well.. I currently have.. 6 moisturizers. And that's really getting rid of a ton first. A mixture of baby oil and aftershave lotion for my shins and body since I have an awful condition on my shins, a face lotion that works no where else but my face, an eye cream because either of those are suitable for the eye area, petroleum jelly for my lips, hands, and feet, and a regular lotion for when I'm in too much of a rush to properly mix my normal baby oil and shave lotion together since it is mandatory that I moisturize twice daily. This isn't even counting the couple (4) tubes of lotions the dermatologist gave me that I never use but still need to have on hand. I really want to just find a lotion that does everything sufficiently and a face lotion and be done with it.. that'd be crazy easy. (I have an idea that if the solid conditioner is likable that I may be able to condition my skin in the shower and see if that helps..)

.. Ideally, I'd like to have a set-up to where I have everything I need in my bathroom in a small tote and the small organizer in my shower, with a shelf or two in my bedroom's vanity occupied, and a kit capable of holding at least 2 weeks worth of essentials. I haven't been able to accomplish that yet.. :/ but I'm steadily working on it as I find products to replace others. Having one soap container to have my shampoo, conditioner (and a moisturizer and shave cream), body wash and face wash would be amazing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My challenge has continued since I've been home. I've rid myself of stuff almost every week since coming home from my deployment. I'm about half-way through on my stuff being exactly the way I want it to be.. and I've been helping my parents out as well with it.

- My mother and my father's wardrobe is now more efficient. They fit into everything they own, and it all fits neatly into the closet, which will eliminate the need for so much furniture in their new house's master room.
- We eliminated a bunch of garbage and trash in the garage and back porch
- While I cannot say the garage or back porch is done.. it's far from it.. we ended up making enough room so that our storage shed will be eliminated by the end of this month. (This is three months it's been pushed back.. but better late than never.)
- We're continuously reducing stuff in the house and changing things to make it easier for the house to function and clean

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm getting rid of my bedroom furniture. I completely decided it and I am absolutely happy with the decision. As soon as I finish minimizing the clothes I own so I don't need a wardrobe for them anymore, they'll all be gone. My sister may end up buying the bed and night stand off of me, I'm not sure yet, but cool if she does. :)

I really became accustomed to sleeping on the floor in Africa, and I really like the idea of my bed not taking up a ton of space in my room.. and, hopefully, I'll be able to hold everything I need in my closet anyways. :yesss:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Everyday Minimalist is an amazing website for inspiration for lady clothes and closets. Picture heavy, and amazing attention to detail. The woman isn't a 100-item-list lady, but she can pack a 6-week trip to another country in a carry on bag. (This is a long-standing goal of mine..)

Anyways, we minimized the toys the kids play with, and it is a bit refreshing. Great for us--we hardly have anything to clean--and great on them because they don't miss any of it. What we have set up for them now:
- A tee-pee that's ever-living in our backyard porch. They play in it constant, escape from us inside of it, and generally act like little wildlings.
- A bench that they climb all over with storage inside. This holds every single one of their smaller toys (trucks, cars, "I LIGHT UP AND SING BECAUSE EFF YOU KYU!"-mickey mouses, etc). If they get a new one, an old toy about that size leaves.
- A small battery-powered driving truck and a pair of bikes. The truck was $10 at a garage sale, I couldn't pass it up, and some good old fashioned bikes for them to pedal around on in more open spaces.
- A sheet drawn all over. We put this over the dining room table or coffee table and WHAM! An instant play house. At first, we had pop up tents and tunnels for them to run all over and around.. but this takes up WAY less space and they play with it just as much.
- A mattress. They sleep on it, technically, but they use it as a trampoline just as much.
- A color wonder kit. Best invention ever for small kids. Coloring without supervision is just a grand thing all around.
- Two cups. We don't use bath tub toys, but they seem to do just fine with having two regular old drinking cups in the tub to scoop and dump water.
- And finally, a foam football they share.

Convincing a spoil-happy mother/grandma, and two sisters to somehow minimize what they have here at our house to only this was no easy task. I feel quite accomplished.

Pictures on wardrobe do-overs coming soon.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Books! Dear Lord I got rid of so many books! Over 100 left my shelves to be sold yesterday.

I have a sizable stack that needs to be converted to digital copies, and another stack that needs to be sold as well.

I'm working on ways to rid of a few more.. I think if I had a paperwhite kindle as well as my fire I could just buy all of these books in digital copies and only keep my textbooks and my favorite series. But for now, its good effort.

I'm comparing the books that will be cheaper to make digital via 1dollarscan.com vs buying it outright on amazon.

Also, on my trip was the first time ever I'd traveled by plane with only carry-on items. 10 days and one carry on + a backpack, and I was okay! I really did run out of clothes at the very end (I ended up wearing a t-shirt I bought to go home in) but it was a great learning experience and I know for sure I can travel like this for longer now that I know what I need and how to pack it.

Also, another moment on goo hoarding: I've been trying meticulously to use up all of the soaps and lotions in my bathroom. I'm going to do a huge purge of my bathroom (again.. I know..) to narrow things way down. In the end, I really wanted solid shampoos to be the way to go for me (so simple, way cheaper, easy to carry, etc.) but traditional shampoos and conditioners are just the quicker and more convenient way to go overall. Maybe if I ever find a solid conditioner that doesn't suck the story will be different.

Also, I realized one way I was hoarding stuff was that I actually liked using it so much that I stopped using it for fear of running out. My favorite perfume is no longer being made by Avon, so I cannot buy it anymore... so I tend to save it for special occasions, but then it just sits there for a year easily without use. Also, my favorite powder of all time is the Wraith scent from Moonalisa that [MENTION=6163]ReadingRainbows[/MENTION] bought me a couple Christmas's ago.. but I never use it now that it is halfway empty because I simply don't want to run out.

It was really interesting to identify this tonight... If I cannot get anymore either way, I might as well enjoy it instead of hoarding it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
More work on books, and more work with my goo hoarding problem.

I'll work with those for a little while, and then I need to focus on the small details. I have items that I have already 'gotten rid of' in the sense that I've let them go, but I haven't been active enough in selling them off.

Clothes going out to donation, books are being sold, things are being listed on Craigslist, and goos are being tossed out.

After that, I really think I need to hunker down on papers.. Papers are another beast I constantly wrestle with.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
I have a solution to your paper problem:

nr_05.jpg

(or something like it)

You can easily run through a stack of papers and anything that looks questionably important, just run it through the scanner. Later, you can sort through the images and rename them with descriptions/sort them into folders or just leave them as is, knowing anything important is safe somewhere on your hard drive.

I used to be an engineer and had a "paper problem"... now the stack never gets more than 10 sheets deep, and I never find myself needing a document I threw away.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I actually did write about this product a while back! I have the desktop version and the portable scanner.. but my portable scanner seems to have issues (it tends to eat papers) I've just been too busy (read: lazy) to call the company up and fix it. I think I'd be much better about it if the portable version worked since it is small enough to stay in my little pocket my electronics sit at on my bed. For now, I just let everything pile up until I cannot stand it, and then do a huge massive sorting where I bust out the desktop version, hook it up to the laptop, and start scanning shit in massive stacks, and then I take it all to my armory and do a massive shredding of documents I don't need anymore. (And then I get lazy still and throw some of them away anyways. I'm sure there's some 40 year old dude somewhere in Italy buying a new corset in my name as we speak.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Whenever I look at all of my stuff, I start to get annoyed with it now.. I dislike having to even get RID of so much stuff. All of those papers are killing me. Having to stash things in places annoys me.

Things I got rid of this week:
- Three organizers
- A small stack of books
- Some sacks of clothes
- And I donated one of my fancy dresses to the kids-that-need-prom-gowns foundation thing close by.

I am re-purposing a bowling ball of mine, and a bowling ball of my mother's. Faux stone spray paint + a few hours of dry time = some awesome 'stone' balls for the garden area.

What I aim to get rid of this week:
- A bunch of older electronics
- A bunch of swords in my possession
- Some Japanese panels
- Some of the recycling materials in our house (brass, copper, motors, etc.)
- This wire basket in my closet that does nothing but catch shit I throw in it.
- All of the paperwork that I have piled up. My goal is to leave only one folder of super-important-documents that I need the originals of.. to create an army I Love Me book for convenience, and have everything else digital. That way it is all of my shelf and out of the way. (This does not include my art/study items. I need to make books for them.)

If I can get all of that done this week, I think I can clear the way for some really cool projects I've been meaning to do--like turning our photos into albums (omg will that clear SO much space so fast in my closet and get rid of so much..) and hemming up my pants with that tiny sewing machine so that I can have slacks that fit well.

PrettyWoman

MBTI Type
E..P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed that the amount of stuff I own is positively correlated with the amount of time I have to spend organizing and cleaning so I really try to keep it minimal because I hate cleaning. Last weekend I collected many bags of stuff around my place, I did it REALLY quick to get over it quickly and oh man I feel good now :D I also love how pretty it looks now.

gromit

likes this
Isn't it crazy the crap that you find and are like WTF?
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] were/are either of your parents hoarders? My mom is, not quite so bad as on those shows, but still pretty bad. After helping my parents go through their house of 30 years to downsize to an apartment, I realized how deeply I never want to be like that.

You really have to be always evaluating, do I want this? do I need this? do I have room for it?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've noticed that the amount of stuff I own is positively correlated with the amount of time I have to spend organizing and cleaning so I really try to keep it minimal because I hate cleaning. Last weekend I collected many bags of stuff around my place, I did it REALLY quick to get over it quickly and oh man I feel good now :D I also love how pretty it looks now.

I noticed when I need to clean things in a hurry, I tend to be much more willing to get rid of stuff. "Omg, this person is coming in an hour! I don't need this box!!! *THROW!*"

I'm glad it makes you feel better. :D It's amazing how satisfied we really are with being done cleaning so fast, and going from messy-to-civilized in such a short amount of time. If I throw a load of laundry in the washer to wash, put my books back on the shelves, and make my bed I have almost literally transformed my room.

Kyu were/are either of your parents hoarders? My mom is, not quite so bad as on those shows, but still pretty bad. After helping my parents go through their house of 30 years to downsize to an apartment, I realized how deeply I never want to be like that.

You really have to be always evaluating, do I want this? do I need this? do I have room for it?

:laugh: YES. I seriously was like, "Omg I have a bowling ball? Wtf am I going to do with that!?" So I consulted the oracle, whom informed me that I can turn it into a bad ass garden ball decoration.

And Yes, my father is especially prone to hoarding. He puts real value on things for the sake of thinking that it is valuable. "That table was in our house as long as I could remember." But how does that make it valuable? :shrug: I'll never know. The problem is, EVERYTHING has value like that, from free stuff to old stuff. It has been a slow struggle trying to get him to downsize his stuff. I doubt I'll ever get him to downsize, but at least I can get some of the stuff gone enough to where he can live in an environment that is organized and easy to clean. I am lucky that organizing is a billion dollar industry here in the US.

I got a funny look the other day at a Japanese festival where they were handing out free pens to people. And I said no thank you. The man insisted that it was free. But... I have a TON of pens already. I had to get rid of some because I had too many! I have enough pens to write out seven books, edit them, and re-write them again. I certainly didn't need another one that I knew I wouldn't use.

PrettyWoman

MBTI Type
E..P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

LOL, yeah! Weird devices of which I have no idea what they were actually made for. I never understand how those end up among my stuff! Or books about cooking, really WTF, I would never choose those since I rarely cook properly and if I do, I never follow any instructions :D

Same here, my mum is very materialistic, not status-conscious but just stuff lover. She had to move into a bigger apartment because all her stuff didn't seem to fit in the old one anymore *rofl* Even I realized how stupid that was, I'd just throw away 90 % of her stuff if I was to decide. I hate to be in a place where I constantly need to look out where I step, I couldn't live in her place for a week.

And yeah, I'm definitely a project person when it comes to cleaning! I hate the maintenance I should do to avoid mess but when it's really messy I'm highly efficient and clean my ass off :wizfreak:

gromit

likes this
And Yes, my father is especially prone to hoarding. He puts real value on things for the sake of thinking that it is valuable. "That table was in our house as long as I could remember." But how does that make it valuable? :shrug: I'll never know. The problem is, EVERYTHING has value like that, from free stuff to old stuff. It has been a slow struggle trying to get him to downsize his stuff. I doubt I'll ever get him to downsize, but at least I can get some of the stuff gone enough to where he can live in an environment that is organized and easy to clean.

Yeah it was more like out of financial necessity that it happened for my parents, otherwise I probably would have been going through it all when they die.

But yes, I relate to that phrase 'a slow struggle'. My mom sees value/potential in everything. "I was thinking I could use x item for y purpose" (whether or not y is at all likely to occur) or "I thought so-and-so would like z" (even though so-and-so will likely never see the item). So every single thing was like a battle. I would feel so frustrated with not being able to get rid of stuff that by the time I'd get home after a 'session' I'd just start getting rid of my own possessions. Because I could.

One time I began packing up my thick heavy sweaters to donate because "I don't wear these anymore" and then I had to remind myself you don't wear them BECAUSE IT IS SUMMER

:doh:

So yes, you can go overboard with this thinking :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah it was more like out of financial necessity that it happened for my parents, otherwise I probably would have been going through it all when they die.

I wish my dad was like this. Even in the face of financial crisis, he's refused to downsize his own possessions. I have had much success with him letting go of many items that were never really his from his old business, but getting his possessions to a lower number is really difficult. He could make some serious money on some of his possessions too.

But yes, I relate to that phrase 'a slow struggle'. My mom sees value/potential in everything. "I was thinking I could use x item for y purpose" (whether or not y is at all likely to occur) or "I thought so-and-so would like z" (even though so-and-so will likely never see the item). So every single thing was like a battle. I would feel so frustrated with not being able to get rid of stuff that by the time I'd get home after a 'session' I'd just start getting rid of my own possessions. Because I could.

I think my mother has hints of this from being married to my father for so long--but she's easier to convince than my father.. He ALWAYS sees a use for things that are awful. "All of those old rusted nails?! You never know when you'll need a nail like that!" 'But dad, it's mixed in with so much stuff that we'll never find it..' "Oh, no no, I know where stuff is.." @_@

I just want to throw everything I own out the window when I'm done working with him for a day.

One time I began packing up my thick heavy sweaters to donate because "I don't wear these anymore" and then I had to remind myself you don't wear them BECAUSE IT IS SUMMER

:doh:

So yes, you can go overboard with this thinking :)

:laugh: Yes I have done this before, and I have done it recently too!! "Oh crap.. turns out I only have 2 pairs of pants now..." So far it hasn't been so bad since it is the tail end of winter, but it forced me to dress nicer than I cared to during my vacation. :doh:

gromit

likes this
I wish my dad was like this. Even in the face of financial crisis, he's refused to downsize his own possessions. I have had much success with him letting go of many items that were never really his from his old business, but getting his possessions to a lower number is really difficult. He could make some serious money on some of his possessions too.
Well, I think it was easier because my mom sort of defers to my dad in a lot of decision making and he was the one who came to the conclusion they had to sell.

But yeah, it can be rough. For me, the whole situation was really helpful in terms of developing a better understanding of the distinction between "things I can control/affect" and "things I cannot" :alttongue:

:laugh: Yes I have done this before, and I have done it recently too!! "Oh crap.. turns out I only have 2 pairs of pants now..." So far it hasn't been so bad since it is the tail end of winter, but it forced me to dress nicer than I cared to during my vacation. :doh:
And it makes you realize that you really can make do with much less than you think too. But still. I don't really have a problem keeping things I actually like and use, even if there is some redundancy. The sweet spot. To a certain point, more stuff can make you happier, because you have choices and don't feel bored. But too much stuff impedes your pleasure of life, drags you down, and you end up not even using/enjoying what you have.

I don't know if these kinds of things are so obvious to most people that they don't even have to think it consciously, but it was kind of a big deal for me to come to that realization.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, I think finding the perfect product I can keep going back to really is the key to stop goo-hoarding. It is so much easier to toss out things I don't really like after I find something I really do.

I've been pretty good about *actually* using up the stuff I don't like so much anymore to make way for stuff I do. I used up every bit of conditioner in the bathroom and now have a way paved for this new (hopefully awesome) stuff I'm trying out from etsy.

I'm still having trouble with the issue of finding my stuff new homes. I have gotten rid of stuff by the truck load, only to find it really isn't LEAVING my house because I haven't found a suitable home for it all yet. All of my clothes fit perfectly in my closet and little wire drawers now, but I still haven't found a home for the old shoe organizer and storage organizers yet. Craigslist is annoyingly slow on some items. I think I am going to take my replica swords to the recycling shop.. this is going to be the easiest way to get rid of them as they're slow to sell.

I'm going to change this up a bit and start doing one small daily project a day now simply because my 'get rid of' pile is bigger than I can handle now. So, today's project: take a bag of clothes to the donation bin and drop the nicer dress off at the library for the prom-dress-for-people-who-are-poor foundation. I'm pretty sure that's not the real name for it.