• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do fish have necks?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The whole fish is its neck

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It rather depends on the type of fish, doesn't it?

fish.jpg
vs
Powder+Blue+Tang4.jpg

(Larry Fish)____________________________(Powder Blue Tang)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe so, but I once dreamed that trout had lips.

rav3n

Fish have necks. They just don't have shoulders. Wouldn't gill rings or studs be cooler? How about a tat between the eyes?

Pinker85

The Oxford dictionary defines a neck as, "The part of a person's or animal's body connecting the head to the rest of the body." Well, fish definitely have a head and they have a body so is the vertebral bone that connects the head to the body the neck? Do you have to have range of motion for it to be considered a neck? I've found a few articles that talk about this fish called Tiktaalik which supposedly is the first fish to have a neck which means that fish generally don't have necks? :unsure: I may go by the zoology department at my university and ask as I haven't found a definitive answer online. I'd feel rather species insensitive to be making a necklace for a neckless fish.

You all have started me in one wondering about quite a few others things as well . . . :thinking:

Pinker85

The ichthyologist (that I'm sure thought I was crazy) informed me that fish do not have necks with exception to seahorses. They were actually pretty helpful and good humored about answering so *thumbs up* for ichthyologists!

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This appears to be the anatomical definition of neck "A narrow or constricted part of a structure, as of a bone or organ, that joins its parts; a cervix." Several sources seem to have similar definitions. So unless the fish has an area that constricts there is no neck, range of motion is meaningless. This does seem to agree with what Pinker85 posted.