• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good Marinades for Chicken Breasts.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I am learning to grill chicken breasts on a stove-top.

I've been learning the most common marinade contains oil and acid. So apart from that, I've been testing various ingredients, but am not exactly sure what to add. There is flavor, but not exactly the "correct" taste that would keep me eating them.

Oils I've tried: Olive Oil, Canola Oil (yeah, both Olive Oil and Canola oil can be a bit bland,) Corn Oil.

Acid: Rice vinegar, Lime Juice.

Others: Herbs (too many to name,) chile peppers. black pepper, salt, onions, garlic, soy sauce, lemon pepper, paprika, mustard.... amongst some of the stuff I've tried.

----------------------------

So how about that, any suggestions on what oils,acid, etc I should try in marinating?

rav3n

If you want serious flavour, do a form of teriyaki. Sorry no measurements.
  • Light soy
  • Sake or mirin or both
  • Minced ginger
  • Minced garlic

I also like to slav on bit of honey at the end of the grilling process to kick the flavour up with some carmelised sweetness where it adds a shine to the chicken breasts, making them also appear even more palatable.

Edit - just clicked on ceecee's link and it's got teriyaki too.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Italian salad dressing is my favorite!! mmhmm good!! :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fajita marinade is always olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce and cayenne pepper (and a dash of cumin)... I use it on chicken for certain types of sandwiches and pizzas as well since it's quite tasty :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use this in another dish but I like the marinade

For 1 pound of chicken breast

1 cup of olive oil
1 clove of garlic smashed
1 lemon, zested
2 teaspoons of black pepper
1 bunch of parsley chopped
2 sprigs of thyme chopped

Marinade for up to 1 day but at least for 1 hour. I usually do 1 hour and that's fine.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use the following marinade for grilling chicken, also for meat and vegetable kabobs. I have even used it for pork and shrimp. It's very simple. Quantities are approximate.

3 tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic, crushed; or 1 tsp garlic powder
0.5 - 1 tsp ground cumin
0.5 - 1 tsp ground ginger
enough red wine to bring the total volume to 1 cup (8 oz)

I find it easiest to mix the spices into the soy sauce with a whisk, then slowly add the wine. Or, put it all into a glass jar with tight-fitting lid and shake well! I place the items to be marinated into a glass dish and pour the marinade over it. Then I brush marinade onto the food as it grills.