• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need help with dairy-, egg-, and nut-free Christmas cookies

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anyone have a good recipe for spritz cookies (using a cookie press) that is dairy-, egg- and nut-free? I've looked online and the ones I found were rather complicated.

Or perhaps it's possible to use substitutions for my spritz recipe? Willow Run soy margarine instead of margarine, but what would I substitute for the egg?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Dairy, egg, AND nut free. Dang. For someone with lots of allergies? In vegan baking I'm familiar with using nut "flour" as a substitute for regular flour and to take out the need for eggs. Also eggless chocolate 'baked' desserts that are basically super dense mousses.

So you'd be using a traditional flour but just no eggs or dairy? Maybe you can use rice flour and make a type of rice confection, not really a cookie though.

Can't think of anything else. Let us know what you find. :alttongue:

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dairy, egg, AND nut free. Dang. For someone with lots of allergies? In vegan baking I'm familiar with using nut "flour" as a substitute for regular flour and to take out the need for eggs. Also eggless chocolate 'baked' desserts that are basically super dense mousses.

So you'd be using a traditional flour but just no eggs or dairy? Maybe you can use rice flour and make a type of rice confection, not really a cookie though.

Can't think of anything else. Let us know what you find. :alttongue:

Yes, my 2-year-old great-nephew is allergic. If his dad eats cheese and then kisses him, he'll welt up. If he actually ingests dairy, it's time for an EpiPen. We're hoping he'll grow out of it, but for now he's limited on what he can eat. I feel bad that he can't have some of the stuff everybody else is eating at family gatherings. His dad loves chocolate chip cookies, and I found a recipe for those based on the Tollhouse recipe that substitutes soaked, ground flaxseed for the egg and soy margarine for the margarine. If I can't find a less-complicated spritz recipe, I'll just make them all chocolate chip. I wasn't sure if the flaxseed thing would work for spritz dough from what I've been reading online. I guess I could try it.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yes, my 2-year-old great-nephew is allergic. If his dad eats cheese and then kisses him, he'll welt up. If he actually ingests dairy, it's time for an EpiPen. We're hoping he'll grow out of it, but for now he's limited on what he can eat. I feel bad that he can't have some of the stuff everybody else is eating at family gatherings. His dad loves chocolate chip cookies, and I found a recipe for those based on the Tollhouse recipe that substitutes soaked, ground flaxseed for the egg and soy margarine for the margarine. If I can't find a less-complicated spritz recipe, I'll just make them all chocolate chip. I wasn't sure if the flaxseed thing would work for spritz dough from what I've been reading online. I guess I could try it.

Maybe you'll need to experiment with different nut consistencies and ratios? I was thinking about sesame candies, sesame seems to hold its shape well (though yes, it's basically in candy form held together with sugar), though it would take tweaking to get that into a baked cookie consistency. Or maybe you'll have to dive deep into vegan cooking forums. I have a friend who is a vegan chef (legit, she works at a swanky vegan place in LA) I can ask her if she has any ideas.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my cousin's allergic to dairy,nuts,soy and a bunch of other things so if you find a recipe i'd love it.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Start with several pounds of bacon.
Cut into cute shapes with cookie cutters.
Drizzle with maple syrup.
Cook until crispy.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Keep large wooden spoon with you,
swat the hands of those who would steal your bacon cookies for themselves.

I don't know what a spritz cookie is but bacon cookies sound awesome!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I posted an awesome dairy and egg-free oatmeal cookie recipe on the "what did you make today?" thread. It has walnuts, but you could easily leave those out. You can also add dairy-free chocolate chips to it.

Are spitz cookies butter cookies? I think I would choose something where you didn't have to try to make it taste like butter, if I were you. But if you want to try, vegans like baking with Earth Balance, which you can find in stick form at Whole Foods.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks, everyone!

BTW, the Christmas-y shaped cookies are Spritz cookies:
attachment.php

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a friend who is a vegan chef (legit, she works at a swanky vegan place in LA) I can ask her if she has any ideas.
Thanks! That would be great. It reminded me that my friend's husband is a chef. He's not vegan but he might have some useful info, too.

my cousin's allergic to dairy,nuts,soy and a bunch of other things so if you find a recipe i'd love it.
Yikes! That's a lot of things to be allergic to. My great-nephew can have soy and a lot of the recipes I've found use soy as a substitute, so they wouldn't work for your cousin. :(

Start with several pounds of bacon.
Cut into cute shapes with cookie cutters.
Drizzle with maple syrup.
Cook until crispy.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Keep large wooden spoon with you,
swat the hands of those who would steal your bacon cookies for themselves.

I don't know what a spritz cookie is but bacon cookies sound awesome!
Yeah! Bacon cookies DO sound awesome! :cookie:

Here's one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-gordon/gluten-dairy-soy-nut-and-_4_b_796306.html

Here is another website you might find helpful:

http://www.divvies.com/

That's a lot of things to replace though, I'm not sure how it will turn out. Good luck!
Thanks for the links. That first one has a LOT of ingredients that I don't normally use. Not sure if I want to go that route.

I posted an awesome dairy and egg-free oatmeal cookie recipe on the "what did you make today?" thread. It has walnuts, but you could easily leave those out. You can also add dairy-free chocolate chips to it.

Are spitz cookies butter cookies? I think I would choose something where you didn't have to try to make it taste like butter, if I were you. But if you want to try, vegans like baking with Earth Balance, which you can find in stick form at Whole Foods.
I could use an oatmeal cookie recipe, so thank you very much! I'm not sure if spritz cookies are considered butter cookies or sugar cookies. They aren't that buttery tasting to me, but I'm no expert. I've been using Willow Run soy margarine, but it's always good to have a backup brand just in case.

Here are the recipes I used for cupcakes and frosting for my great-nephew:

Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Chocolate Dream brand, dairy-free)

Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix well with a fork, then stir in oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. When dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened, pour in cold water and stir until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared pan.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack. Frost.
For cupcakes, fill baking cups 2/3 full and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack. Frost. Makes about 16 cupcakes.

Buttercream Frosting (Dairy-free, Egg-free, Vegan)

Feel free to substitute the vanilla extract for another flavoring of your choice, such as lemon juice, orange juice, almond extract or maple extract.
Makes 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup dairy-free soy margarine (I used Willow Run)
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tblsp plain unsweetened soymilk
1 Tblsp plain soy yogurt
3 Tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
1/4 tsp salt (optional)

Preparation:
  • In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the soy margarine until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating at a low speed until combined.
  • Turn up the speed to high, add the remaining ingredients, and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
  • Chill slightly before using to frost dairy-free cakes and cupcakes.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure if spritz cookies are considered butter cookies or sugar cookies. They aren't that buttery tasting to me, but I'm no expert. I've been using Willow Run soy margarine, but it's always good to have a backup brand just in case.

Spritz cookies are definitely butter cookies, so you want to make sure your butter substitute is top notch. I've used Earth Balance to bake for vegan friends, and I find it works really well. I'd be wary of a soy margarine.