• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cousin Overfed Dog. . Now What?

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I rescued a springer spaniel mix (I actually think he might be a brittany mix) a few months ago, and my cousin mentioned he would look after the dog when I'm out of town. He has a boxer, and we've discussed things like dog training and feeding before.

I went on a 10 day trip a couple weeks ago, and when I dropped off my dog I gave my cousin a 15 lb bag of Wellness (way more than what he needed). When I got back, my dog had visibly gained a lot of weight (maybe 5 lbs - when he was weighed last he was 37 lbs. He might have been a little on the skinny side before but now you have to really try to feel his ribs) and my cousin said, "Oh I don't know how long that food was supposed to last but it's all gone. The dogs ate it all. I think he looks better!"

I was livid.

My dog was pretty lethargic and gassy yesterday and pooped a lot (gee I wonder why). I've decided to cut back on what I was feeding him but anyone know how long it might take for him to get back to a normal weight?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Did you outline specifically how often and how your dog should be fed?

If not, this is your fault.

Regardless, a couple of extra walks, and returning to a normal diet should have your dog back to its svelte self in no time.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just go back to feeding him the normal amount. He should drop the extra weight naturally if you give him enough exercise. And yes, next time leave specific instructions. ;)

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I told him how much I fed the dog and how often. When I picked up the dog he said, "I haven't been feeding him the way you have; I just dump the food in the bowl and they kept eating it."

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think there's going to be a next time; I found a colleague who lives closer to me who doesn't free-feed his dogs and is willing to pet sit for me.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I told him how much I fed the dog and how often. When I picked up the dog he said, "I haven't been feeding him the way you have; I just dump the food in the bowl and they kept eating it."

That is not cool. Then I say next time do not leave him with your cousin!!