• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

America and food portion sizes

Lark

When he spoke to the actual restaurantes who were not taking part in challenges or tourists they were always eating something less massive than he was, like the thin black guy who said he always had a polish (sausage) in the restaurant which was doing the big roast beef filled sandwiches dipped in gravy with some kind of spicy celery.

Starry

So being in the UK and having a stomach the size of a baby gerbil .. Are all the portion sizes large in the USA?

I don't want to say that all Americans are fat but whilst the chap was dining in the above places, almost all of the customers were on the large side. Not bloody surprising when you see the portion sizes but what is America doing to reduce the amount of obese people?

I dunno. I lived in the UK for a few years...and certainly wasn't finding any 'gerbil sized stomach' portions there either. I mean...between the two countries...I honestly didn't notice a difference between portion sizes. In fact, in the US...I feel there are more healthy options available in the pubs and whatnot...not that people decide to choose them...but I feel there are more alternatives available here.

I also believe that including the calorie count on menus has its origins in the US. I think the obesity epidemic in the US has more to do with stress and a sedentary lifestyle...then overeating alone.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
When he spoke to the actual restaurantes who were not taking part in challenges or tourists they were always eating something less massive than he was, like the thin black guy who said he always had a polish (sausage) in the restaurant which was doing the big roast beef filled sandwiches dipped in gravy with some kind of spicy celery.

I didn't see that part :blush:

I just noticed people looking a little larger than average but then they do say that the camera puts several pounds on the person. Also the following show in Pittsburgh where he ate the VERY hot chicken wings at The Lube .. The people were largeand they were only eating wings. There is nothing on a wing.

Ultimately each to their own .. When i was in Toronto and ate at Quizno's, i purchased a footlong and had to eat half for my lunch and half for my tea. Like i said, i was just curious as to the portion sizes.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I dunno. I lived in the UK for a few years...and certainly wasn't finding any 'gerbil sized stomach' portions there either. I mean...between the two countries...I honestly didn't notice a difference between portion sizes. In fact, in the US...I feel there are more healthy options available in the pubs and whatnot...not that people decide to choose them...but I feel there are more alternatives available here.

I also believe that including the calorie count on menus has its origins in the US. I think the obesity epidemic in the US has more to do with stress and a sedentary lifestyle...then overeating alone.

No, i didn't say the portion sizes in the UK are 'gerbil sized', i said my stomach is 'gerbil sized' so i eat accordingly or else i'll be ill. I haven't seen the portion sizes for myself other than from a TV screen so i couldn't possibly comment if i know of a difference between UK and USA sizes. I noticed a TV programme and commented on what i saw to get a better understanding.

That is cool that there are healthy alternatives and calorie content on the menu:)

Ahhh .. Stress, a killer in so many different ways.

Lark

I didn't see that part :blush:

I just noticed people looking a little larger than average but then they do say that the camera puts several pounds on the person. Also the following show in Pittsburgh where he ate the VERY hot chicken wings at The Lube .. The people were largeand they were only eating wings. There is nothing on a wing.

Ultimately each to their own .. When i was in Toronto and ate at Quizno's, i purchased a footlong and had to eat half for my lunch and half for my tea. Like i said, i was just curious as to the portion sizes.

I could eat a foot long but its a good idea to do that too, better probably than being over full and then not hungry later.

rav3n

I fail to understand what's so difficult about self-monitoring portions. It's like saying that if you buy groceries, you have to eat them all in one sitting. If a dish is good, I'll doggie bag the left-overs which can equal more than half the dish, based on American sizing. If it's not good, the balance gets left.

p.s. I was raised to believe that the African children would starve to death if you didn't finish your food. But I refused to abide by the sheer stupidity, even as a child which caused all kinds of conflicts with my parents. Tough.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I could eat a foot long but its a good idea to do that too, better probably than being over full and then not hungry later.

Don't get me wrong, i have moments where i eat like a dumper truck but mostly i ate very slow and chew more (always the last to leave the table) as i know i'll be fuller quicker and less likely to be hungry later.

Again, each to their own :hug:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
p.s. I was raised to believe that the African children would starve to death if you didn't finish your food. But I refused to abide by the sheer stupidity, even as a child which caused all kinds of conflicts with my parents. Tough.

I had that one thrown at me. I didn't like the sausage casserole as a child and at 32 i still don't. Is someone really going to die because i didn't eat casserole? I saw straight through that one and put my foot down. One of the few times i managed to out stubborn my mother.

Starry

No, i didn't say the portion sizes in the UK are 'gerbil sized', i said my stomach is 'gerbil sized' so i eat accordingly or else i'll be ill. I haven't seen the portion sizes for myself other than from a TV screen so i couldn't possibly comment if i know of a difference between UK and USA sizes. I noticed a TV programme and commented on what i saw to get a better understanding.

That is cool that there are healthy alternatives and calorie content on the menu:)

Ahhh .. Stress, a killer in so many different ways.

Oh yah no LOL. I actually knew you were referring to yourself. What I was thinking but didn't write...was there were times when I was in France where I actually did receive 'gerbil sized portions' at restaurants. And I'd be super hungry thinking...'ah...I just dropped $60 on this?' But in the UK...I never 'went hungry' so to speak. It was all comparable. In fact...everywhere I've travelled/lived abroad - it has always been basically the same. I think the US has more restaurants though that specialize in 'super-sized portions' (as their 'draw' or 'gimic'). But again...I don't necessarily attribute these type of places to the obesity problem in America.

Like I was saying I think it is a big combination of issues. Stress, processed foods, eating on-the-go, sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Interesting thread saslou

rav3n

I had that one thrown at me. I didn't like the sausage casserole as a child and at 32 i still don't. Is someone really going to die because i didn't eat casserole? I saw straight through that one and put my foot down. One of the few times i managed to out stubborn my mother.
Seriously.

I dunno. Always been the type of person who while enjoying food, only ate until I was comfortable. Even today, I eat one meal a day and graze the rest. Also forget to eat sometimes. Cannot understand the food fixation, even though my family's fixated on food. Stuffing myself silly doesn't give me comfort. If anything, it makes me really uncomfortable. Strangely enough, never had a weight problem either. Go figure...

wolfy

awsm
...That said, I think that the distortion of proper portion sizes is probably the biggest reason for the obesity epidemic in America, even more than the relative cost of healthy and unhealthy food. I don't even think it started as gluttony. It's more about value. Aside from "the food was good", the compliment I hear most often for a restaurant is "the portion was huge". People want to feel like they're getting a deal, and restaurants NEVER want anyone to leave hungry.

I think that is maybe the biggest problem, when you associate volume with quality. I don't know how big the portions are in the States. I've heard people say they are twice as big as Japan. Some things I find really interesting about Japan and NZ, in NZ there are lots of diet soft drinks, in Japan they aren't as popular and most people drink regular. There aren't as many low fat products either. I think it is the traditional diet that has kept weight down for a while. I think it is climbing these days though.

I remember some hamburger and a few beef bowl chains places started a size war but it didn't last long. Mostly they compete by cutting price.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everything is big in america, except one thing, which is big in africa

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Having thought about this a bit more, I'm certain that the rate of material cost increase in serving larger portions is negligible compared to the relatively static costs of facilities, staffing, etc. If increasing portion size results in more customer satisfaction and return business, it's just good business to serve your patrons more than they should need or desire. As mentioned, those photos are from what might be called novelty restaurants and are not indicative of the US restaurant business as a whole. We do have big portions though.

Also, the idea of the obesity epidemic being an exclusively American phenomenon is becoming less accurate and is certainly tired.

Absolutely, I think it's just a convenient way to bash Americans (and a bit of cultural cringe when coming from inside the US).

The "Obesity epidemic is growing worldwide, there are Pacific Island nations where the obesity rate is almost 100%

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
You want a large portion of penis? Would a bowl be sufficient? Or are you in need of a bag?

Mole

Permabanned
Entitled

Surely we are entitled. And we will fight for our entitlements. And we are entitled to large, large portions of everything. And when we have everything, all we want is more.