• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Year Old Pork: Safe?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My mother is cooking pork chops for dinner, several of which have been frozen in our freezer for over a year. Aside from usual discoloration (they were grey, not red, but my momsaid that all meat is suppose to be like that and that redness is just artifical coloration), there was no foul scent nor anything suspicious about the meat. Would this meat still be safe to eat, or should I be cautious about it?

Thanks.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
eww_face.jpg

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
As long as it was frozen fresh and stayed fully frozen all this time, the meat may be freezer-burnt and tough but it won't be rotten.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

lol :laugh:

Well the frozen meat didn't really have any smell to it and I'm assuming if it comes out looking and tasting fine then it'll be eaten. I'm just concerned whether there's any health hazard accosited with eating old frozen meat.

As long as it was frozen fresh and stayed fully frozen all this time, the meat may be freezer-burnt and tough but it won't be rotten.

Cool then :)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
lol :laugh:

Well the frozen meat didn't really have any smell to it and I'm assuming if it comes out looking and tasting fine then it'll be eaten. I'm just concerned whether there's any health hazard accosited with eating old frozen meat.

Yeah, I'm sure it's fine if it smells OK, and like PeaceBaby said, if it was fresh when it went in the freezer. Just not very appetizing. :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've eaten mystery-date stuff from the freezer my whole life, and I'm not dead yet. Cancer pending. So I say you're safe.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yep, totally fine, though probably freezerburned by now so it won't be as tasty as a fresh one. Source: I do this alllll the time and I'm not dead yet. :cheese:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, no problem. We had a ham in our freezer for a year before we ate it once, and it was fine.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well aren't you guys wrong. I ate that pork last night and it ended up killing me. My disembodied spirit has no vessel to move around in. I speak in ghostly moans and float slowly everywhere; major inconvenience. And do you know what it feels like to have your large intestine to implode from deadly meat? I will be haunting ya'll for this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well aren't you guys wrong. I ate that pork last night and it ended up killing me. My disembodied spirit has no vessel to move around in. I speak in ghostly moans and float slowly everywhere; major inconvenience. And do you know what it feels like to have your large intestine to implode from deadly meat? I will be haunting ya'll for this.

I don't know who trolled this thread saying it was okay.. What a bunch of jerks..

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It all seriousness though, the pork came out great, it tasted no different than the fresh pork. Ironicly though, I actually just remembered that even meat that's 10,00 years old can be consumed safely (meat remains of frozen wholly mammoth were actully cooked and served to people before in the 1800's on one such occasion). Anyway, thanks again for the advice everyone :)