• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bird in my kitchen

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, not actually IN my kitchen, but perched on the window screen. It's just sort of hanging there, looking in. It has been there for at least 15 minutes, just blinking at me when I walk past. My son sat 18 inches from it and ate a snack just now, and it didn't budge. I'm thinking it's stuck somehow, but it doesn't look injured and its beak isn't stuck in the wire. What would you do?

051407_10231.jpg

051407_10232.jpg

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Kind of looks like a woodpecker... by the shape of a beak, and they often hang at this angle. Just give it time to rest up and fly off?

On a related note, I was leaving the house one morning, and did that "sense check" one tends to do when departing. Cat in one basket, check. Other cat on sofa, check. Blackbird sitting in other basket.. check... What?? Yep, there was a bird in the house in a cat basket. Not the best Darwinian evolutionary strategy, one would say. It then panicked and flew around the house. The cats gave me that "do you mind, we are trying to sleep" look, despite the fact that one of them was clearly the perpetrator. The bird then flew and hid in the bread bin in the kitchen, which i was able to close, and release it to the wilds. It was the best excuse for being late at work I've ever had :)

-Geoff

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My answer for everything of this nature...get a stick, poke it & see what happens.

I didn't do this, but I did open the window to see if its toes were stuck. It didn't seem alarmed or anything and just sort of shifted around. I don't think it's stuck, but I can't figure out why it's not scared of us at all.

Kind of looks like a woodpecker... by the shape of a beak, and they often hang at this angle. Just give it time to rest up and fly off?

I think that's what I'm going to do, for now.

On a related note, I was leaving the house one morning, and did that "sense check" one tends to do when departing. Cat in one basket, check. Other cat on sofa, check. Blackbird sitting in other basket.. check... What?? Yep, there was a bird in the house in a cat basket. Not the best Darwinian evolutionary strategy, one would say. It then panicked and flew around the house. The cats gave me that "do you mind, we are trying to sleep" look, despite the fact that one of them was clearly the perpetrator. The bird then flew and hid in the bread bin in the kitchen, which i was able to close, and release it to the wilds. It was the best excuse for being late at work I've ever had :)

-Geoff

Weird! How did you miss its singing in the dead of night, before that morning?

I was once housesitting and a bright red cardinal flew into the house through the chimney and started flapping about. The whole thing's a blur but I think it ended up going back through the chimney.

And then, when I was in college, when I had super-long hair, a blue jay swooped down and started pecking at my head when I was walking across campus. I seem to attract weird bird stories.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I wonder if its a Flicker ?

*tries to think of the name of the bird he remembers from childhood*

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say it's a woodpecker of some sort too -- dig the zygodactyl toes! Prolly a juvenile -- worn out and taking a break. *shrugs*

S'cool though. Any updates?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's still there. I opened the window and tried to poke its talons out so it could fly away, but it keeps shoving them back in. I think it must just be a young'n who is afraid to let go.

I called Animal Control but nobody is available to come out right now. I can't reach the window from the outside so there's nothing I can do for it right now.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
YES! That's it!

I'm calling animal control again. I can at least get in line. My tax dollars, right?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Animal Control just hung up on me.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I learned from bird-feeder observation that the woodpecker is a badass. The sparrows and other small songbirds would flee when the bluejays came. The bluejays fled when the woodpeckers came. The woodpeckers fled from nothing.

Can't really beat yellow-bellied sapsucker for a name... ;)
The species name of the North American robin is Turdus Migratorius. You're welcome.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There's a bird's nest in my dryer hose. Again.

WTF do I do about it?