• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the best way to decorate a completely white room?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know what else is authentic 1920s? A Chinese screen. It would cost you twenty five to thirty bucks though.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I'll talk to the super about painting. I'm pretty sure there are a few paint cans in one of the closets, come to think about it. And there's really no reason we shouldn't be able to paint, its not like its that big a deal...

Excellent. Just don't wuss out on the colour. You can easily revert it back to dull white if/when you move out.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
THROW COLORS. EVERYWHERE.

Too bad there can't be any paint involved or else I'd have very fun plans for it ;)

Or you can try a black and white scheme and add a dash of one other color for a little "pop" factor. And add some interesting-looking objects on the desk.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Marm, a chinese screen would be awesome! But yah, due to its inessential nature it probably won't make the cut. It would certainly make a decent substitute for blinds though!.. but my radiators are all in front of the windows! Rats!

rav3n

Keep it white on white on white, using shape and texture to create a personality.

rookeryscrew

I just moved in to a new apartment, and one of the rooms is painted completely white. All it has in it is my desk (which is completely white) and a black futon. The room is basically a music/work/guest room, but if it is this boring and dull I'm not gonna want to work in there ever! The room has a window and the back door, too.

What are some good ways to decorate a white room without painting it?

White is so far the best paint color. You can easily put decorations without worrying about color combination. It is easy to match it with anything. I suggest you put a large eye-catching painting on the wall. Size would of course depends on how wide is your wall. You can put a single color L-shape sofa and add some throw pillows on it. A center table is fine to add with simple centerpiece such as sets of candles. A carpet would help as well to put some life to your plain and dull room. But limit your furnitures to those only you think needed inside the room. Avoid making the room look so crowded with stuff that are unnecessary. Maybe the color of your lightings would somehow help as well. I prefer the room to look more simple yet lively. :)

rookeryscrew

This looks kind of manish...

white-living-room.jpg

This is almost perfect. Colors are limited but the room looks so clean and fresh. This is what I wanted to figure out on above's question. We don't need to put so much in the room. It is best to keep it simple. I love the huge painting on the wall and the L-shape sofa. Though I just want to put some centerpieces on the table to make it more lively. Well I don't want the traditional flower vases. I would go for candles. You can choose from variety of candles out there. But for me, if you want to have a natural scent or should I say healthy option, you can go with beeswax candles. The aroma is like having a pure honey inside the house when you burn a beeswax candle. It helps you maintain a fresh air in your room.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My girlfriend (I live with her) has a bunch of throw pillows so I shall use some of them! I'm considering either painting the desk or just putting a bright cover on it... that would certainly add something.

Yes for sure it would but you can really go for COLOR, not just color. White is great with gray and teal, in fact I use that combo in our guest room. You can throw in some warmer colors like reds, yellows, even creamy colors with different textures work well. I'm not at home or I'd take a picture but when we redid our kitchen, we did it in white. I wanted color for the back splash and we like the subway tile look but in the end we liked this kind of tile (ours is a little darker blue than the pic). It really adds a great color but keeps that crisp, clean look white gives.

75100a_edace48c4208deabbe4c0dd7bbf49369.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I happen to really love white rooms. :wubbie:

My favorite is the sort of beach bungalow look. Start white white main stuff--and add loud pops of color in natural tones.

- Wood elements. It didn't mention what kind flooring you have, but light tan wood flooring is perfect. If not:
Woody-Wood-Rug-th.jpg

That piece of wood looking thing is actually a rug. :D
You can also use fabric that looks like wood to cover mantles and rafters to give the look while still having something easily disassembled.

- A fan is functional AND cool looking.
10_05_fa0205nw-01.jpg

- Splashes of blue on the walls via art simulate the beach scenes.
4055665.jpg

- And some greenery via fake or natural plants helps too! A nice tall potted plant helps freshen up the room and looks good!

- A few quirky colored pieces around will complete it. And best of all they can all be easily disassembled and taken with you.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

0412_sag-harbor-to-do-l.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I LOVE white rooms. I have this fantasy of a white and light brown room, with sort of a natural light theme.

So you would have things like...

images

Beautiful white bedding and natural wood furniture...

tumblr_ldisaphFgo1qbr8r3o1_500_0.jpg

A couple well-placed white Christmas light strands...

Bamboo-Ceiling-Fan-Design.jpg

A neat light wood fan like kyuuei mentioned above...

P1831.fpx

A tall lamp...

douglas+friedman+dining+room+white+nelson+bubble+lamps+lanterns+ceiling+lights.jpg

A handful of paper lanterns...

awesome-bedroom-wall-designs-cozy-candice-olson-bedroom-designs-with-rhombus-diamond-shape-wall-design-and-bed-with-headboard-on-light-brown-area-rug.jpg

A cozy, fuzzy light brown rug...

images

Maybe a wind chime by the window...

tan-leather-couchlight-tan-leather-couch---love-seat---designed-and-made-in-italy-4n8c32fl.jpg

A light brown loveseat if there's space...

prod2330010_H12

And a few chenille blankets for a soft pop of color.