• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survival Kits/Bags.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Who has one, or is working on creating one.

Call me paranoid, but I think its a great idea to have something mobile that carries all necessities that you would require in a foreign and hostile environment. In desperate times, you're properly prepared.
Lets not talk and focus on the probabilities and statistics. I believe in always being prepared when possible.

What did(want to) put in yours?

What items are necessary?

Last edited:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
The most important things don't go into a bag: knowledge and practiced skills.

I have a survival kit in both family vehicles with a bunch of stuff in them. Each person has to think the potential situations through and come up with their own list which matches their environment and skills using priorities as a guide. A general guide is that a person can live:

• 3 seconds without blood
  • 3 minutes without oxygen
  • 3 hours unprotected in cold or heat
  • 3 days without water
  • 3 weeks without food
  • 3 generations once rescued from the situation

On-person in everyday life (not woods/wilderness), I find that the most practical and carryable items are:

• pocket knife (as long as the person knows how to use it correctly and safely) [although I'm not allowed to carry this at work :rolleyes:]
  • whistle
  • coin-cell LED light
  • clothing which is adequate for the weather even if you can't make it to a building or vehicle

Within

Permabanned
What did put in yours?
  • Beer

• Water
  • 2400 Calorie Food Bars
  • Am/Fm Radio with Headphones and Batteries
  • 24 Hour Light Sticks
  • Flashlight
  • Box of Waterproof Matches
  • Sleeping Bag
  • 2 Person Tent
  • Raincoat
  • Multifunction knife
  • Handgun
  • Kukri
  • Leather Gloves
  • Gas mask
  • Nylon rope
  • First Aid Kit
  • Travel Chess set

However, if there's Zombies involved I would add: Chain Mail Anti-Shark Suit & Katana, to the list of necessities.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Also, I'd include a flint striker (along with a steel knife, to make fire), and one of these:

40oz_main.jpg

This isn't a typical water bottle -- it's made from non-insulated cooking-grade stainless steel, which means that you can both use it as a regular water bottle, and if necessary, use it to boil water in a fire (just take the cap off). No plastic liners or anything inside to contaminate your water.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Survival kit contains: one ISTJ that has formed loyalties.

Wait, he said he'd never let me go hungry or sleep out in the cold.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i have babywipes in my car.
works on makeup and food.

i also have babywipes under my bed.
works on jock too.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Who has one, or is working on creating one.

Call me paranoid, but I think its a great idea to have something mobile that carries all necessities that you would require in a foreign and hostile environment. In desperate times, you're properly prepared.
Lets not talk not focus on the probabilities and statistics. I believe in always being prepared when possible.

What did(want to) put in yours?

I agree that knowledge and practiced skill have to be paramount., If you don't know how to use the things in your kit, what good are they?

I have one in all my vehicles but the biggest one is in my truck. There is a comprehensive auto tool kit plus tow straps (it's 4WD 1999 Chevy Blazer). Water, temp stable 2400 calorie food bars, bags of dehydrated fruit. Toilet paper, blankets, hand, toe and body warmers. Flashlights, a small cook stove, waterproof matches. Knife and multi-purpose tool. Rope, whistle and change of socks and boots (in winter) and rain ponchos. First aid kit Also a deck of regular cards and Uno cards for the kids. Crank cell phone charger and NOAA radio.

My home kit is large and contains food storage and many of the above items are duplicated. I take regular stock of everything and rotate the stored food. I don't usually buy much from the "emergency" retailers. Here is a blog I like with a realistic way of starting food storage and general preparedness.

http://makemeworldwide.com/survival/

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have one. But hypothetically, if I would have one..

I'd pack:
A large knife (at least a 5" blade, I got a nice bowie with antler handle at home that should do.)
A sharpening stone.
Some of that crap military food that doesn't go bad.
A tinder box with flint and steel
Fishing hooks and lots of fishing lines (very multipurpose, also great to snare small animals with for example.)
Pair of good boots and clothes one would also trod nature on, vale green stuff, or army clothes.
Something to boil water in, that drinking canister posted earlier would be great.
OH! And how could I forget, some Alum (Double sulfate stone thingy) to stop shaving bleeds from using my bowie knife. I'd hate to end up like the dude in my avatar. :D

F

FigerPuppet

Magnum condoms and a pack of strawberry flavored Hubba-Bubbas

On a serious note, this thread will be useful; I've been thinking about assembling one as well. Condoms and gum included, of course.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Don't have one. I've always got a knife and a lighter on me though. Tons of camping gear in the house, but no "kit" as such. Of course I'll make sure I have food/water/fuel before big winter storms and the like, but I'm not gearing up for Red Dawn, ya know?

Really, if things get all silly, I'll be able to figure it out. Or not.

M_Kirch

The most important things don't go into a bag: knowledge and practiced skills.

I have a survival kit in both family vehicles with a bunch of stuff in them. Each person has to think the potential situations through and come up with their own list which matches their environment and skills using priorities as a guide. A general guide is that a person can live:

• 3 seconds without blood
  • 3 minutes without oxygen
  • 3 hours unprotected in cold or heat
  • 3 days without water
  • 3 weeks without food
  • 3 generations once rescued from the situation

On-person in everyday life (not woods/wilderness), I find that the most practical and carryable items are:

• pocket knife (as long as the person knows how to use it correctly and safely) [although I'm not allowed to carry this at work :rolleyes:]
  • whistle
  • coin-cell LED light
  • clothing which is adequate for the weather even if you can't make it to a building or vehicle

The 3's are very good information. Check out SSRSI (just type it in yahoo), they have a lot of good resources about self reliance and survival. I kind of got interested when I was a teen (a few years ago).