• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Muy Caliente!!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I looooooooove spicy hot foods. Who else does?
It doesn't matter the cuisine, I like it all.
I've been eating this nonstop lately. I hope it's not bad for my body.
There's something about that burning sensation in my mouth that I just LOVE.
Am I a masochist?
I don't think so because I don't like it when it's so hot that you can't taste the food and your eyes and nose water. (okay maybe I like that a tiny bit:blush:)
My favorite is the rare but delayed kind that doesn't hit you until a few seconds after you take a bite. :wubbie:

Anyways, I just had some spicy hot ceviche. Yum Yum.

Does anyone have muy caliente recipes to give me?
I like all different types of peppers.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've got some TexMex recipes that can be as hot as you like.. but I don't have recipes for them... I just kinda make 'em. Texas style red chili, salsa Mexicana, and enchiladas. None of them are fancy, but they are authentic. I can maybe put something on paper...

A

Anew Leaf

Saturned's Galaxy Guacamole:

Ingredients:

Avocadoes
Serrano peppers
cumin
fresh garlic
fresh black pepper
salt
fresh squeezed lime juice
cilantro
white onions

I don't really believe in measuring, I just get a bunch of this stuff and dump it into a bowl. I like chunky guacamole so I don't bother using a blender or food processer, or spending much time cutting the avocadoes up. (Usually just mixing this in a bowl does the trick.) I add lots of serrano peppers to give it a major kick. I also measure ingredients to taste. I just had a party at my house and made a 16 avocado batch of guac. I ended up dumping an entire large bottle of cumin in there. ^_^

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, Saturn. I can make it work without measurements. Just give me a general idea of what to do like you have.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Qlip's Salsa

2 large tomatoes
1/2 an onion
1 bunch of cilantro
1 serrano
1/2 juiced lime
salt to taste

Chop the tomatoes as fine as you like, same for onions. Combine and chop cilantro leaves finely, add to mix. Add lime juice to taste, and salt. Then chop up the serranos super fine and add. They're only for heat, not flavor. Set in fridge overnight for the best flavor. Consume.

EDIT: sometimes I add some tomatillos, it makes it more tart.

A

Anew Leaf

Thanks, Saturn. I can make it work without measurements. Just give me a general idea of what to do like you have.

Awesome! :) And it should totally be "to taste." For the record I am a big fan of dumping as much spice into my cooking as I can. So with this I taste it as I go along and if I have a friend over, they are going... uhh... it needs something but let's not rock the boat. And I go, you're right! *dumps a fistful of cumin in, three pinches of kosher salt, another lime, half an onion, and 3 more peppers*

Here is also Saturned's Famous Fajitas:

Chicken
Fresh limes
White Onions
Serrano Peppers
Cumin
Garlic
Fresh black pepper
salt

I squeeze lots of limes, add in all these ingredients, plus cubed chicken. I make sure the juice covers all the chicken up - add water as needed but the majority of the marinade should be lime juice. I marinate the chicken for 12-24 hours. Then I saute the chicken up. Add guac, sour cream, cheese, salsa, peppers, tortillas, etc. Yum! :)

To compliment all of this (I have a huge party in June of every year where I make my guac and fajitas) I make fizzy lime drinks:

club soda
ice cubes
limeade

(blender obviously. Add alcohol as desired.)

It's about a 1:1 ratio of club soda to limeade. One year I added fresh watermelons, and another I added fresh strawberries.

Just deliciousness all of the way around! :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmmm MMMM *happy dance* :happy0065:

You like serrano's eh, Saturned?

A

Anew Leaf

Yes, they are the best pepper! :) I love jalapenos too, but jalapenos are everywhere... serranos not so much. :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay.. we need some red peppers representing here. This is my very basic red chili sauce. I use it in chili, enchiladas and with carne. Its not really a recipe, but the start of one.

Get some chiles pasillas, they're these dried red peppers. If you can help it, get ones that aren't so dry to crumble while handling. cut off the top with the stem and split them down the middle with a paring knife. Scrape out the veins and seeds. Warning, anything you touch after this will burn. Soak the chiles in hot water for a couple hours.

Drain the water and put the chiles in a blender. Add some water or stock and a couple cloves of garlic and blend it smooth. The process is incredibly messy, but worth it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mmmm, I love hot foods! I get all red and my face sweats and my scalp gets itchy, but it's totally worth it. I love the secondary burn like you pointed out, Giggly...that depth of flavor that reveals itself a few seconds later.

I like to put ancho chile powder in hot chocolate, brownies and chocolate cookies. It gives a wonderful accent to chocolate. I also minced a habanero pepper and threw it in the wok with some orange chicken last week, and that gave it just the right burn. I was in New Mexico recently and really liked the green chile they put on everything...especially green chile cheeseburgers. And then, of course there are buffalo wings. Mmmm.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Great thread idea, I LOVE spicy food too <3!

Here is a recipe for a Korean dish called Taktoritang, it's a spicy stew with chicken, potatoes, onions, and carrots. The chicken is so tender and the potatoes soak in the flavor, be sure to serve over rice :)!

Tak+Toritang+(Korean+Spicy+Braised+Chicken+with+Potatoes)+by+Eats+Well+With+Others.JPG

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into large pieces
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 onions, cut into large chunks
  • 2 large potatoes, cut into large chunks

Sauce:

• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp hot pepper paste (*Kochu jang)
  • 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes (*Kochu karu)

*These last two ingredients can be found at an Asian Super Market :). The red pepper flakes arent crucial, but the Kochu Jang is definitley needed!

Time to start cooking!

• In a bowl, mix garlic, soy sauce, water, hot pepper paste, and red pepper flakes.
  • Combine chicken, carrot, and potatoes with sauce in to a large pot over medium high heat.
  • When the water has been boiling a while, add chopped onions.
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes, until sauce has thickened.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^ I'll have to try this one. My family knew this Korean lady when I was a kid, she'd bring the most kickass food to potlucks. I never knew exactly what I was eating was called, but I always made a beeline to her tupperware and proceed to scorch my mouth.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OhMyGosh Effem, chocolate + red chili = :wubbie:

Sparrow, that looks delicious!

V

violaine

My favorite cuisines are Thai and then Indian. *drool* I am addicted. Still trying to build a tolerance for the really over the top spicy stuff though.

Oh, and wasabi. I absolutely love wasabi, I kind of love that headrush when I've eaten too much. Perhaps that is more strong than spicy though.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those horseradishy spices, the mustards and wasabi just want to shoot flame out of my nose. I wonder how that works. Once I ordered lamb vindaloo and finished it, after the first couple of bites I could hardly taste it anymore, I had an endorphin rush after I finished it. Indian is definitely in my top list of favorite cuisines.

V

violaine

Yeah... love those horseradish-y flavors. I just keep going back for more. I like these honey, mustard brussel sprouts that almost blow the top of my head off, heh.

Oh, I also love really spicy ramen. And laksa. Oh gosh *cravings*

EDIT: Sparrow, I am going to attempt that dish for sure.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
OMG Thai people don't fuck around when it comes to heat... I can no longer handle 4 star spice :(, it doesn't agree with my stomach anymore!

How many stars do you guys get?

A

Anew Leaf

OMG Thai people don't fuck around when it comes to heat... I can no longer handle 4 star spice :(, it doesn't agree with my stomach anymore!

How many stars do you guys get?

Haha, I can do four stars at some places.

I was in Thailand visiting family friends many many years ago... And they had a Thai woman as their personal cook. I had just taken a big bite of soup, and in the soup were these pea pods. I started chewing on like three of these pods just as the cook says "please don't eat the Thai chilis" and holds up this pea pod looking thing.

It was about that time that the volcano erupted in my mouth.

I think the only reason I can handle spicy foods now is because of that night. I lost taste buds and part of my will to live.